Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Cobra with 118000 miles. In a recent oil change I found some silver metal chips in the oil. They appear to be aluminum (they are non magnetic). I cut open the oil filter and found quite a few chips caught in the filter media. I pulled the valve covers off and didn't find any chips or grit around the valve train or the timing chains so it looks like a bottom end problem. The engine still runs fine with no obvious noises or vibrations. Has anyone experienced something similar or have an idea of the likely source of the chips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,146 Posts
id get it checked out asap before any damage occurs. my 99 has 125k miles and ive never seen metal in my oil like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
time to sell ive seen it in my foxs its a sign of a wearing down engine it will break soon be easy on it and sell the car or rebuild your engine good time to build it up its usually where your rods connect to your crankshaft it will create grooves in your crank and thats where your getting your metal flakes xarmy on you tube has a video where he tears down his engine and he shows you the grooves
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,436 Posts
interesting, I just saw a 99 Cobra at my tuners shop that had that exact same issue, something caused grooves in crank bearings/crank...yeah, it needed a rebuild...good thing he was going turbo and now will have a forged shortblock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chip souce found and fixed

So I dropped the K member and pulled the oil pan. It looked like a prospectors gold pan, full of shiny metal. The chips were non ferrous so babbit was the obvious suspect. I removed the end caps of the connecting rods and found 5 of 8 bearings wiped. The #8 journal was slightly scored. The main bearings were OK. I cleaned the oil galleys with WD 40 spray and a cotton swab wipe and replaced the bearings ($40). The only technical tricky part was to remember that the bearing caps are fractured at the join so they only go on one way. I polished the scored journal with some 1000 grit, then 2000 grit, emery cloth lubed with oil and tested the clearance with a plasti-gauge. Everything looked good so I buttoned it up, put in some Castrol synthetic 10W-30 and fired it up. So far it is running smooth.

One problem occurred when reinstalling the K member. I didn't wire up the steering column up out of the way and it got trapped by the K member. I had to drop the whole thing to free it...2 steps forward, one step back! The joys of the backyard mechanic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

well, let us know how that works for ya :yelwacko:
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top