Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about running a Meth/water 50/50 injection kit. I am not necessarily wanting to retune to be dependant on the Methanol but I am want to run it to keep my AIT temps down so my sensor will not have to pull timing when it is warmer out. Is this possible, can I just get a 50/50 kit and hook it up or will I have to get retuned? I planned on getting a psi switch and set it to activate my meth at like 4 psi. I am only running a 8 psi pulley. ........STLWAGON where are you at? I need your advice.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I wouldn’t even think of getting a meth kit for my IAT until I have maxed out my heat exchanger. And if you are running the as supplied heat exchanger it is maxed out. I got a heat exchanger that literally has 6 times the cooling capacity of the one that come with my blower and it dropped IAT dramatically. I have not hooked up my data acquisition system yet so I don’t have IAT or intercooler temps but my reservoir for the intercooler/heat exchanger water system which is about 10” away from the discharge tube of the intercooler (as hot as the coolant gets). It’s as hot there as it will ever be I the system, it just picked up the heat from the blower. I can make 3-4 hard runs and still pop the cap and dip my finger in the coolant. I would guess it’s about 90-100deg which is LOW. By the time it’s getting through the heat exchanger and back to the motor it’s probably close to ambient. And the car never slows down on hot days. Ad its advantage over a meth kit is it bolted right in, no moving parts, no electrical parts……nothing to go wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The meth kit is nice though as it's much cheaper then the intercoolers are.

I just recently put a V3 supercharger non-intercooled on my 05 Mustang GT and it's running hot... but the intercooler is $1800 dollars from vortech!!! Meth kit is only $450...

I would be interested in knowing the answer to 05roush's question.. i'd be much more inclined to do the meth kit because of how much cheaper it is- not to mention it's not like I want more boost or tuning, just want it to run cooler and no detonation.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The meth kit is nice though as it's much cheaper then the intercoolers are.

I just recently put a V3 supercharger non-intercooled on my 05 Mustang GT and it's running hot... but the intercooler is $1800 dollars from vortech!!! Meth kit is only $450...

I would be interested in knowing the answer to 05roush's question.. i'd be much more inclined to do the meth kit because of how much cheaper it is- not to mention it's not like I want more boost or tuning, just want it to run cooler and no detonation.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head. I am in the exact same boat. Non aftercooled v3 here too. just want cooler air charge but another 15-1800$ kinda sucks when if my assumptions are correct I could do the same thing for around $400. I am just trying to make sure its doable first.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
As I dont have it yet but I am going to do the same thing in accordance with my nitrous. And yes nitrous and meth work well togheter and it does help. I would say go for it meth helps dramatically especially if you dont have an intercooler or dont want to buy a new one.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Talk about hitting the nail on the head. I am in the exact same boat. Non aftercooled v3 here too. just want cooler air charge but another 15-1800$ kinda sucks when if my assumptions are correct I could do the same thing for around $400. I am just trying to make sure its doable first.

So your blower has no intercooling at all? If so I didn't take that into account. Almost all blowers are intercolled now. If you were already intercooled a upgraded heat exchange would only run ya $400-500.

Why not just run the blower discharge tube in front of the radiator (down low) and put a air to air intercooler in there. You can get MASSIVE ones for $250 or so and the tubing fabrication doesn't cost much at all. You can simply buy most of the elbows, then cut the straight stuff to length, get a few silicone conectors, mock it up for fit and take it to a good welding shop to be Tig welded up real nice. $150-200

And its advantage over a meth kit is that it has no moving parts, no electrical parts, nothing to refill……nothing to go wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think if we do that on our cars with the Vortech V3, you loose about 1-2 pounds of boost because you have an 8 PSI Pulley- Not sure if I am correct on that but I have heard that from Vortech... They may just be trying to sell the kit, lol...

But, ours are non-intercooled completely- I noticed the first day I had mine out, the fenders get really hot because of all the heat coming out from the hood. Engine temp is normal, but the s/c throws some heat.

One upgrade I am making in about a month or so is putting a new hood on with Heat Vents that will be operational so the heat can just rise out of the hood 05roush- that may be one upgrade you may want to make too..

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont like the Idea of trying to make my own aftercooler, they have to exact dimensions etc. to an extent to really do you any good. Too small = no good, .....too big = not so good either I have been told. I dont know the dimensions etc. that I would need to go by. Still too much work really if it can be done simply with on jet in front of the IAT or similar area spraying just enough to cool the charge only.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agreed 05roush- I wonder if one of the meth kit companies would have some input on this....? They are the ones that design and test the kits...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I looked into water/meth setups.... imo they are more then good enough to act as a cooling system for your S/C as long as your car is not a full blown race car that is run hard 100% of the time.... the only downside i see to water/meth cooling is exactly what squidd said.... moving parts mean that something could fail and a big BOOM!

As long as you religiously check the meth levels and take a quick look to make sure your water/meth is working every now and then you should be good... just don't forget to fill that **** up!

If I SC that is what im going to do.... water/meth.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked into water/meth setups.... imo they are more then good enough to act as a cooling system for your S/C as long as your car is not a full blown race car that is run hard 100% of the time.... the only downside i see to water/meth cooling is exactly what squidd said.... moving parts mean that something could fail and a big BOOM!

As long as you religiously check the meth levels and take a quick look to make sure your water/meth is working every now and then you should be good... just don't forget to fill that **** up!

If I SC that is what im going to do.... water/meth.
What I am wanting to do is install a jet about 3 inches infront of the blower to simply cool the air charge so my IAT will not tell the computer to pull any timing and therefore pull HP. I would have it setup to kick in at 4 psi so anytime I am under 4 psi it would not spray and would not be a factor in my tuning. If the meth/water pump failed then my IAT would do its normal thing and pull timing to prevent detonation and I would have a little less hp like normal. What I am saying is I dont plan on being dependant upon the meth/water for my tune, if it fails I will still be ok. I called alcoholinjectionsystems.com and they confirmed what I was thinking and told me it is completely do-able. I am going to have to call them again with a list of all my mods and how much psi I am running etc and they will hook me up with what I need. The guy I talked to assured it will work flawlessly with simple windshield washer fluid it is a 36 meth 64water mixture.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Do you have a relocated IAT sensor? I run two nozzles on mine. A 3 gal/hr directly into the compressor and a 12 gal/hr nozzle in the discharge tube. My IATs are generally no more that 20* above ambient. On a WOT run I've seen IATs drop by 15*.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have a relocated IAT sensor? I run two nozzles on mine. A 3 gal/hr directly into the compressor and a 12 gal/hr nozzle in the discharge tube. My IATs are generally no more that 20* above ambient. On a WOT run I've seen IATs drop by 15*.
Yep, relocated to the intake manifold. So you only utilize it to cool the charge like I am wanting to do correct? I dont want to have a meth tune specific. Can I keep my current tune and just use it to cool my charge?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ive tuned a few of these water/meth kits, and while they work I still cringe every time someone wants one, wouldn't be bad for all out race car but seems like a band aid for a daily driver.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Yep, relocated to the intake manifold. So you only utilize it to cool the charge like I am wanting to do correct? I dont want to have a meth tune specific. Can I keep my current tune and just use it to cool my charge?
Yes you can... You may be able to add a degree or two of timing as well since you IATs will be down and octane will be up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
05roush,

You have to keep me updated and send some pics when it's done. I would like to do mine exactly like that- but let's use you as a tester!! lol just kidding... Seriously, we are in the same boat and have the exact same supercharger- so if it works good for you, then hopefully it will do the exact same thing for me... Do you have a time frame of when your going to do it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Even the new generation Whipple does not use an intercooler... so I am in the same boat too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.