Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any of ya blame these for Alternator failure?
dont they pull a lot of amps/volts all the time? is this a concern for me?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I would absolutely blame my alternator failure on the water pump. Mine was originally hardwired to the pos lead on the alternator per their instructions. This was clearly a mistake. It's now wired off the pos battery lead. It pulls about 12 amps under normal conditions so isn't a problem for a 130 amp alternator to handle. I pull a constant 86 amps with every accessory running.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
When I saw their instructions I figured somebody didn't understand basic electronics so I just ignored what they said about how to wire it so I didn't have a problem with thee alternator -but I can understand why you had happen what you had happened Mark.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
When I saw their instructions I figured somebody didn't understand basic electronics so I just ignored what they said about how to wire it so I didn't have a problem with thee alternator -but I can understand why you had happen what you had happened Mark.
I first had the pump electrical connector fry and then a few months later the alternator went.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I've has 0 problems with mine. If the alt. can't take and addional 12 amps, what are they using on the skipper 1000 with the big amp sucking amp in the trunk.

Stl how did you get the load of 86 amps on your car? Did you take it off the batt + lead or the alt. + lead?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I've has 0 problems with mine. If the alt. can't take and addional 12 amps, what are they using on the skipper 1000 with the big amp sucking amp in the trunk.

Stl how did you get the load of 86 amps on your car? Did you take it off the batt + lead or the alt. + lead?
We did a load test right off the alternator.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I also wired mine directly to the battery. This is just the logical thing to do since the pump is powered through a relay.

G

·
Just keep an eye on that pos lead. Mine melted completely away when wired to the alternator.

ill keep my eye on it, ive had the alternator off several times and i havnt noticed anything out of the ordinary on the post or anything. ive got mine wired one to the post and the other wire goes to the fuse box on the pass side kick panal.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Is the electric WP really "worth it"?

How much HP gained and any reliability lost?
Mine was an anomoly, I think. Some reports claim 12 rwhp but I don't think I picked up that much. I like it for its constant 55 gal/min cooling.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
will these work with the steeda UDP? can I use the provided steeda water pump pulley on it ?
Yes you can use it with the Steeda UDPs. The water pump has its own idler pulley on it that smaller then the steeda water pump pulley which you no longer use.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
will these work with the steeda UDP? can I use the provided steeda water pump pulley on it ?
You can use the underdrive crank pulley but you will require a shorter belt since the meziere pulley is the same size as the stock waterpump pulley. You'll need a Gates p/n 060990.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.