Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't see many pictures of these posted so I thought I'd share them with others incase anyone was interested in them. I purchased them last month from AM when they were on sale and used the forum code and they were about 156 shipped.

Overall I extremely pleased with these, they look great from far and near. My only tiny complaint is when standing very close to the car, from a certain height and angle they don't cover 100%, maybe like 95%. This is of course if your looking get right on it from the right angle other wise it is great. I may look into getting some sort of high temperature paint to match the caliper and paint the small portion that can be seen at few times since I want it perfect :nogrinner.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
So I don't see many pictures of these posted so I thought I'd share them with others incase anyone was interested in them. I purchased them last month from AM when they were on sale and used the forum code and they were about 156 shipped.

Overall I extremely pleased with these, they look great from far and near. My only tiny complaint is when standing very close to the car, from a certain height and angle they don't cover 100%, maybe like 95%. This is of course if your looking get right on it from the right angle other wise it is great. I may look into getting some sort of high temperature paint to match the caliper and paint the small portion that can be seen at few times since I want it perfect :nogrinner.
To each their own... Thanks for the post, though - good to see rare parts/mods installed on the car vs. trying to visualize them on their own. Hopefully, you helped someone else looking at them to order or not order them...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Dam, that a high price for four pieces of plastic and four clips. Thanks for posting as you convinced me not to buy these. They actually look cheaper then I thought. Maybe they will come out with aluminum covers that don't look so cheap.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't neccessarily say they look cheap but I would definately not recommend purchasing them at a price above what I paid ($156).

At the the 205ish price most places charge, the $50 more was definately a reason that kept me from buying them earlyer.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I can see $15.00 apiece... that pegs them at $60, then you have shipping, taxes ect, even at that price I'd be on the fence!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Not for me...

message too short

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thoare are machined aluminum by the way, still too expensive for what they are. Look cool enough.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like them myself...

Can you advise what is involved in the actual installation (besides removing the wheel!) - thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
For the (outrageous) price, you'd think they'd be able to do better than painted-on circles instead of bolt heads.

:nogrinner

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For the (outrageous) price, you'd think they'd be able to do better than painted-on circles instead of bolt heads.

:nogrinner
Agreed, that is what makes them look so cheap. They would probably almost be acceptable without them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If your trying to pull off the look of larger brakes, buy larger brakes. If you're just going for color, paint your stock calipers. These look way too fake and cheap, especially with "5.0" and "Mustang" written on the sides. Sorry to be so harsh, but man...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't purchase them because I wanted larger brakes, and if anything I would find just painting the stock calipers red to be cheap looking. I actually like the word mustang and 5.0 on them, simply painting them red would try to make it look like you wanted to trick someone into thinking you had some "special" upgraded brakes.

At $156 ($39 a corner) I still agree they are a bit overpriced, at around $120 dollars I think would be a reasonable price that would attract the most customers who like them and were on the fence about purchasing them.

The installation is simple, they simply slide over the caliper and have bolts and clips on each end of the caliper. There was a video I had looked at before installing on AM's website for the installation.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I didn't purchase them because I wanted larger brakes, and if anything I would find just painting the stock calipers red to be cheap looking. I actually like the word mustang and 5.0 on them, simply painting them red would try to make it look like you wanted to trick someone into thinking you had some "special" upgraded brakes.

At $156 ($39 a corner) I still agree they are a bit overpriced, at around $120 dollars I think would be a reasonable price that would attract the most customers who like them and were on the fence about purchasing them.

The installation is simple, they simply slide over the caliper and have bolts and clips on each end of the caliper. There was a video I had looked at before installing on AM's website for the installation.
Isn't putting larger covers over them somewhat the same? Trying to trick someone into thinking they were "special?"

Either way, I'm glad you like them. I wasn't trying to be harsh, I just remember seeing them a few months ago and wondered if they'd even sell them because I thought it was a silly idea. However, I don't claim to be a marketing expert and appreciate you taking my words well. Enjoy the car!!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Do calliper covers increase or impede cooling in anyway?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Do calliper covers increase or impede cooling in anyway?
I read in another thread on this subject that the aluminum ones actually help with break cooling. The heat transfers to the aluminum and actually cools the breaks faster. There was a video where the guy put a laser thermometer before and after installation to prove it.

They still look ricer to me.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I know for a fact that they help cut down on the brake dust. I had them on another vehicle. I actually think they look okay. Like most have stated they are expensive and if I can pick some up for a decent price then I'll grab them. As for the "looking ricer" comment...girl please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They're more appealing than the stock calipers, like the idea of less brake dust, just wish they had real bolt heads.
I've never painted my calipers before. Does it hold up well? Or would I be out repainting them every other year?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
good from afar... far from good... but hey if that does it for you then have fun with it

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Isn't putting larger covers over them somewhat the same? Trying to trick someone into thinking they were "special?"

Either way, I'm glad you like them. I wasn't trying to be harsh, I just remember seeing them a few months ago and wondered if they'd even sell them because I thought it was a silly idea. However, I don't claim to be a marketing expert and appreciate you taking my words well. Enjoy the car!!
I understand you weren't trying to be harsh so thats why I stay respectful, I know everyone has their opinions. Your right as well though, anything really done is made for something to look "special" in a sense or "unique" which is why we all modify our mustangs. We all have different tastes though, just like one person may love the gt500 spoiler and hate the pedastel and vice versa.

About the brake dust and cooling effects of the caliper covers, theres supposibly been tests and its marketed as so. I personally bought them with the idea that if it does help in either category GREAT!, and if it doesn't I wouldn't be disatisfied at all. I'm not going to try and data log particles of dust on my brakes day by day nor attempt to get thermostat readings on the temperate of my brakes haha.

As for the ricer comment, I guess we all have our opinion though I gues some people don't have a good idea of what "ricer" is or they have their own version. It would be just like me saying I think your pedastel spoiler looks "ricer" to me. But hey I'm not in the mustang hall of fame as the all saying mustang extroardine so I wouldn't try and deem something ricer solely by my opinion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.