·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. That was the one I was looking at, but I dont see how they get away with charging 60 bucks for a dang shift knob.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Definitley the composite. It looks better and the other one requires a set screw to hold the knob in the right position. Stay away from any knob with a set screw. They always come loose and then start to rattle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have had the Gripper for nearly 2 years now. It is a sharp looking shift knob and the rubber coating has a good feel to it. It is a very good quality screw on shift knob and the set screw holds well. It has not come loose since day one and I slam alot of gears.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
Stay away from any knob with a set screw. They always come loose and then start to rattle.
Don't all knobs have a set screw to hold them tight after you screw them onto the shaft? Never seen one without a set screw....

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Langod said:
Don't all knobs have a set screw to hold them tight after you screw them onto the shaft? Never seen one without a set screw....

Stock ones don't. Any company that is too lazy to thread the knob so that it faces the right direction when tightened probably makes a crappy product. I've had to tighten my UPR knob so many times that I have stripped it and can't tighten it any further. I really wish I wouldn't have thrown my stock one away.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So can i choose a different brand of shift knob to fit my MGW shifter?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yea, you should, most aftermarket shifters use the same thread size as stock. My Pro 50 has a Ford knob on it, I think the size is 12mm.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there any badass shift knobs out there. Not tacky or anything like skulls and stuff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The race knob side.

You have heard all about the Composite Knob so here is the other side of the story. :winks I Have the race knob and love it. It fits my hand well and is easy to find. It does screw on and then you set the set screw but that isnt to make it set in the right position as much as it is to keep it from coming loose and turning on the treads. I only hand tighten it and set the screw and never used a tool to tighten it because I didnt want to take a chance on nicking up the HIGH quality finish that MGW uses on all of thier products. I really dont think you can go wrong with either style of knob that MGW makes. It just depends on what application you intend to use it for. Good Luck!!!

MattKelley02GT said:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.