Ford Mustang Forum banner

Mgw shifter installed

3440 Views 28 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  HonkeyKong
It's been a while since I last posted. I installed an MGW shifter this morning on my 12 GT. install was straight forward and made simple with a lift. It is a amazing quality piece and it is a lot more crisp then the stock shifter. I don't notice anymore noise then before, mainly because the noise dampening material they send with the shifter. I would definitely say it was a worth while investment.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
I watched their videos and I was sold! Can't wait to pick one up.
Cool Congrats! :bigthumbsup

I ordered mine about a month ago, How long did it take you to get it after you ordered ?

:bigthumbsup
I installed mine about 6 months ago. Haven't missed a shift since.

Rob
Cool Congrats! :bigthumbsup

I ordered mine about a month ago, How long did it take you to get it after you ordered ?

I received it within 2 weeks. Depends on when they make their new batch.
See less See more
MGW is well worth the money !!
I received it within 2 weeks. Depends on when they make their new batch.
I dont mind that wait but I wish they would give you idea where you are on the list..

Welcome to the club. After a couple weeks go drive a mt82 with anything else on it and prepare for "wtf is this ****."
I got a :?: for the folks with the MGW that complain about noise. Is it transmission noise or the clunking you get when you actually shift that you are describing?

+1 on the WTF is this on the OEM, which I never disliked before the MGW.
I haven't noticed any noise change thus far. They send some good noise canceling material with the shifter.
Can't speak to the noise levels driving one as my experience with an MGW shifter left me feeling it was mechanically noisy, blocky, heavy and notchy. And that was just shifting it through the gates with the engine off. I guess it is something you need to get used to.
Anyone missed the 2-3 shift with this? I installed the Steeda shifter bushing last month, and all was great, but lately, I've had issues not hitting 3rd again, no change in shift patterns or driving.
I was hoping to avoid the $300 fix with the $75 fix, doh.
:?:
Don't know how you can miss 3rd it springs over from 2nd just pushing it forward.
I'm one of the first 50 group I have taller rubber boot haven't shorter boot on yet
I've only had it in a day so I can't say. I never missed 3rd with the stock shifter though.
I did miss 3rd sometimes with the stock shifter. Not with the MGW. I just push the shifter forward with my palm and it goes right into 3rd everytime.
I got a :?: for the folks with the MGW that complain about noise. Is it transmission noise or the clunking you get when you actually shift that you are describing?

+1 on the WTF is this on the OEM, which I never disliked before the MGW.
I never noticed any increase in transmission noise. Only the noise from the actual shifting. It is very crisp and precise.

Anyone missed the 2-3 shift with this? I installed the Steeda shifter bushing last month, and all was great, but lately, I've had issues not hitting 3rd again, no change in shift patterns or driving.
I was hoping to avoid the $300 fix with the $75 fix, doh.
:?:
I had a real tough time with the 2nd to 3rd shift with the OEM shifter under hard acceleration. Missed it way too many times. Maybe it was me but I have never missed a shift with the MGW.

Rob
See less See more
I've only had it in a day so I can't say. I never missed 3rd with the stock shifter though.
I didn't either
Mine's been in two months. First gear gave me trouble for a while, but now it's fine. Very precise shifts - made my last track day a much better experience.
I get a good bit of transmission noise with mine. I have some dynamat I will install next time the car is on a lift.

As for shifting, I don't ever miss with the MGW whereas I had issues with the stock piece.
I've had an MGW for about a month now. I think it's less noisy than the stock shifter and a lot more sturdy. My only complaint is I still find myself guessing whether I'm in 2nd gear or not when I take off from a light so I still take off from first. There's been a handful of times when it acts just like the stock one and doesn't make it into 2nd from a standstill so when I take off it grinds.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.