Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided to go with the MGW short throw shifter with the orange handle. I've heard nothing but good news about it, but the question I have is should I use the gasket maker stuff that comes with it or should i actually buy a gasket?

second question, it says I can use the stock boot with it and it will work just fine, but I've seen some people say that you should buy a boot for the shifter any way. any ideas on whether i should buy one or not?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
So I have decided to go with the MGW short throw shifter with the orange handle. I've heard nothing but good news about it, but the question I have is should I use the gasket maker stuff that comes with it or should i actually buy a gasket?

second question, it says I can use the stock boot with it and it will work just fine, but I've seen some people say that you should buy a boot for the shifter any way. any ideas on whether i should buy one or not?
Thanks for the help
I'm not quite sure about the boot...

But I can tell you that it's cheaper to just use a small amount of the silicone to seal the shifter.

The MGW is a great shifter. I also haven't heard anything but good about them and they seem to be getting more and more popular. Good choice! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
465 Posts
You most certainly will love your MGW shifter. Use the silicone, not a gasket, MGW tech says the gaskets tend to allow the mounting bolts to come loose. Also, everything you need is included, no special boot is required, just follow the excellent instructions. I did some grinding and rounding of edges to make my leather boot cover fit a little cleaner, but I'm picky. And DON'T play with the shifter when you get it out of the box until you have read the instructions completely. Something about damaging the stops. Happy shiftin'.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They sell a boot that is in conjunction with the factory weather boot. Center of factory boot gets cut out, and their boot goes over it. Seems to work nice, but, this is a daily driver. 214,000 miles now. I don't jam gears very often anymore, but the shifter works really slick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I have to say is that I LOVE this shifter. I never though 3rd gear could be so easy. Thanks for all the imput.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts