Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
easier said than done,but not too hard..hows that? haha

start by getting the car as light as you can..its like free horsepower..if it doesnt make you go fast,get rid of it

next step is suspension..get the car to hook first,before you add more power..all the power in the world is useless if you cant put it to the ground..remove the front sway bar..adjustable shocks and struts..4cyl springs up front or a coilover setup with a drag oriented spring rate..subframe connectors,tq box re-reinforcements,upper/lower rear control arms..about the only thing you want from the stock suspension is the factory rear springs lol

or you can slap some nitrous on it or a blower,some tires, hope like hell it hooks, and pray nothing breaks...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok , i see you run high 11's do you have all those suspension mods ? will one of those kits like edelbrock or trick flow that include intake and heads get a gt into the mid twelves ?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
yeah i have all those suspension parts..and then some..its been 60'ing in the 1.55 area with a best of 1.53 so far

trickflow kit is the best "kit" out there IMO..with half decent suspension and that kit car should go 12's fairly easily

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
1987 Notchback - GT40P heads, B cam, Explorer intake:
11.94 @ 112.41mph with a 1.58 60ft
It's amazing what you can do with "only" 268rwhp when you have a lightweight vehicle and excellent traction. This graphically illustrates that you don't need big HP numbers to go fast.

·
Registered
58 Posts
easiest way is lighten the load + traction. spend most of ur money in traction as this is the harderst thing to conquer. if you can plant it the trickflow track heat top end kit should put u in the 12's once u get everything tuned.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Yep, suspension and tires.

Back when my '89 LX was my daily driver, I ran 12s with the stock 302 on UPR suspension and BFG drag radials. Add a decent Heads/Cam/Intake package and you're easily in the low 12s.

Traction is key. (unless as someone mentioned, you're loaded and you just want to add tons of power and spin your way to the 12s)

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
It's amazing what you can do with "only" 268rwhp
it actually might make a little more since ive had it dyno'd last
since then,ive removed the power steering pump,installed underdrives,added a 255lph fuel pump,and had the heads shaved .010"(only cuz i blew a head gasket)

but,as they say.."spinnin' ain't winnin'.."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts