Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I own a 96 Trans AM now and its just a TOTAL headache and just a complete waste of money In my eyes. I see the 5.0s around every where and know countless people who make these things run good and I've always heard these cars are quite easy and cheap to make go fast.

The goal for my car would be to hit 11's I was trying to do that in the Trans AM and probably have the power plant to do it but with the Misfit parts GM puts behind the LT/LS platform its absurd that a cam only car will destroy a rear end in no time. So figured Id start here with some help not going to lie im about 85% ignorant when it comes to mustangs its a I've been around GM my whole live and love the platform but these 5.0s seem like perfect little race cars.

This is 100% a guess on what i think it would take to run 11's in these things suggestions are welcome and love to learn so don't be afraid to put me in my place!!

Heads
Cam
Intake
Gears
clutch/stall
headers
exhaust

I know with the LT1 platform there are guys pushing 400+ on the stock bottom end but of course with 50 extra cubes what are the limits for these 302's?? sorry for all the questions just getting some basic knowledge before maybe jumping into getting a mustang

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your gona wana get a tuner with all that. Go to AmericanMuscle.com and check out some of their 5.0 videos. Theyve got a website and are very knowledgeable. Everything you need to hit 11s you can find it there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
suspension is a big deal when it comes to running that fast. a good H/C/I package with a great suspension and you'll be able to get the time you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!! I love seeing kits for these cars that isn't outrageous for my LT1 the "hot cam kit" which puts down around 330 is 3k then see the Trickflow stuff for the mustangs that are wayyy less and put down some good numbers
then you have to start worrying about the weak 7.5 rear end and the WORST stock suspension in the world it just urked me

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The aftermarket is stupid for mustangs. Your TA is a dead platform under a dead name plate. No more R&D for Pontiacs. Pick up a copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and/or 5.0 and absorb what you read.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The aftermarket is stupid for mustangs. Your TA is a dead platform under a dead name plate. No more R&D for Pontiacs. Pick up a copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and/or 5.0 and absorb what you read.
I've always realized how much more vast and how many different companies have stuff for the 5.0s vs the LT1

·
Registered
292 Posts
Come to the dark side... lol

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I'm truly considering it the bang for you buck in this platform seems second to none the more research I do
Research my platform if you want to see bang for the buck (03/04 Cobra) The Terminator. I'm fairly objective when it comes to American Muscle. I'd love a Pontiac Trans Am in my garage. Make mine a 1973 Super Duty 455 with a Muncie. A 1978 Bandit style would be cool too (might have to grow a 70's mustache to look like Burt). Even an 89 Anniversary car with the GNX motor works for me. That said, those cars are gone and are only for the show car circuit. Mustangs represent a tangible link to the muscle of the past and have tremendous bang for the buck. The 87-93 5.0 liter cars now have that aura about them that 67-69 Camaros had when I was little. They are everyman's hotrod. If you have a job, you can afford one. Supercharger kits start under 2k. Information and parts abound. It's really a simple decision if you like American muscle and don't want to spend enormous money to have a car that garners respect and you will be proud of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I wanted the LS series Trans AM at the time but being young I didn't want to wait and jumped on the first thing i wanted and settled for the LT1 which was fun before I got over board ran 13.2s at 107 with bolt ons in an auto. But the car seemed slow not sure because of how big it was but just seemed like a big turd on the street plus the money it takes to make them run good numbers out weighs what they actually end up running.

·
Registered
912 Posts
theres people on here who run in the 12s with no more then weight reduction, suspension and a junkyard gt40 set up off of an exploder, need4speed comes to mind he has a notch that weighs nothing and runs low 12's without making a ton of power

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the Fox bodies can be light cars but I don't want to have a tin can lol would love to retain A/C and all the goodies still i know that will eat some power but in Florida A/C is a must.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can't brag about the rear suspension in the fox, so that would be the first thing I'd mod. Don't put $ into power until you can put it to the ground.

I'm a weight weenie, but I keep the AC and stereo (no subs/amp or anything) for driving enjoyment. Upgrade to a 2-core aluminum radiator, good electric fan and a battery relocation kit (to the trunk). They perform better and save weight (or relocate it to where it needs to be) and all are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Look around here for a while and search a few topics and read the stickies and it is fairly simple to run quick.

Just remember these foxes are older cars and might not have the refinement but you will be hard presses to find a funner and easier car to work on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The LT1's are a bare to work on due to their limited space and them having the motors sitting UNDER the firewall making things a total bare to work on. But never worked on the 5.0 so not sure how hard/easy it is

·
Registered
212 Posts
had a z28 before i got my stang wouldn't trade it for anything had a ton of money in it and was like you said a turd .stang is way faster :yup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah my car wouldn't be a "turd" if someone would refine a few things with suspension and things I'm just sick of all the dumb things with the LT1

The Opti makes me want to drive the car off a cliff

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
LOL! The opti spark! I was gonna say that. Foxes are easy to work on. No contortions to get to plugs. Only the heater core is a ....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good to see you cutting the dead weight! I am on my 8th mustang.. This one is 100% perfect.... I did a tear down rebuild to make sure she was ready for the 20 g's I'm going to throw at her.. Awesome investment.. My sons gonna love this when I'm dead and he's 25 of course :nono:

I'm sure your going to enjoy working on her... I did a 4 year run on the build and can't wait to start building some more!!! Truly addicted for life...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm on my 4th and LOVE it, but I'd rather have a C6 ZO7! Probably wouldn't mod that one too much though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts