Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, heres the problem. i had an issue with the timing belt walking, but a new belt guide fixed that problem. unfortunately when i went to pick up the mustang it wouldnt start. turns out the primary fire coil pack died. put a new one on and it ran fine a couple times, then it was hard to start, idled at only 400 for a second, then shot up to 1500. once i put it into gear and drove it was fine, but turned it off and went to start it again and it wouldnt start.
i went and pulled codes, but got wierd ones that arent in any of the books i have. 662, 956, 611. tried googleing them and havent found anything so far. the codes repeated the same, so i am pretty sure that i didnt mess up when counting them, but i think i'm gonna try again to be sure.
i took the mustang to the shop to try and sort this out, and they are thinking that maybe the eec is getting confused and going crazy because i have a 1991 ranger engine in it, and the eec is from a 1992 mustang. they are thinking that the eec could be overchanging the car, and thats why it ate a 2 year old coil pack. the eec/engine setup has been running for about a year. also, the wiring in the car had to be redone about 7 months ago, so i'm wondering if that could have anything to do with this.
i have a spare eec, but i believe its also from a mustang. if anyone can help me find out how to check the part numbers so i can know for sure i would appreciate it, since google isnt helping me much.
does anyone have any insight into eec issues with running a mustang one with a ranger engine?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
actually, nevermind lol. we got it figured out. the problem was two part. first part was finding out that the vacume line from the map sensor had broken off, nipple and all. so that explained the high idle and crappy starting. second prob was in the wiring harness, some of the wires had been nibbled on by mice. so once i get a new harness from the junkyard, and figure out how to rtv a new nipple on the map, all will be right again.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually, i take it back, this crap isnt over yet. went to start the mustang, it no start. pulled the same wierd codes 611, 662, 956, and now getting a 212. wonderful. so now i get to figure out if its the ignition module or the freaking wiring. whatever it is probably burned out another coil pack. yeah i am pretty mad right now. and just to make things oh so much better, i turn my back for 5 seconds and my dad unplugs half the dang hoses from the car:nono:! he took off everything to the vacuum tree, a couple to the air box, and one that looks like it leads to the trans. arg. i hate hoses enough without having to guess where they all go back to, because those stupid haynes diagrams suck and dont show where everything goes that he unplugged. anyone have a complete diagram or good picture of where all these hoses go to?

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks maurice. all the under hood stickers on my stang are m.i.a. only question, where does the line from the trans plug into? i think it went on the vacuum tree, but i cant remember which spot on there it goes to.

sorry about the above post, i was not in a happy place. i try not to rage when i post.

wierd thing happened this morning tho. i was trying to push the stang in the garage (its supposed to be 90 out today, sunlight=bad:winks). i got stuck in a dip in the asphault, so i tried to start the stang. much to my surprise, not only did mustang start, but after the 1 second of 400rpm idling, he went up to 800 and stayed there, sounded perfect, drove the three feet into the garage like nothing was wrong. half the vacuum lines are off and the EEC is nuts, and all of a sudden its behaving?!? i seems like i'm getting a pattern, first start and run is good, second and third are kinda crap, and after that, no start.

first thing i'm gonna fix the mess with the hoses (thanks again dad lol). then i think i'm gonna take off both coil packs and the icm and (if napa is open today) get them tested. finally getting that 212 code has given me something to go on. and i think i'm gonna pull the harness out of it and check each wire visually for problems, since i dont trust myself to ohm it out correctly (i suck at that kind of thing.)
once all thats done, i'm gonna switch out the eec with a spare one i have to see if i get the same screwy codes, and if the mustang runs better.

i almost forgot, when the mustang was at the shop, they put another ground on the primary coil pack, and it grounds at a different point.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what i said above about getting a pattern seems like its holding true. i tried to do an engine running test just to see if i got any new codes. mustang turned on and idled for 2-3 min, turned him off and waited the 10 sec and went to turn him on and he would not start. so i pulled off the coil packs and the icm. i think i'm gonna have time today to pull the wiring harness and eec out of it.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
I try not to rant also. I got my c-4 out for the 3rd time now. Seal leaks. Everyone has turbo and idle problems and c-4 last forever. Me other way absolutely no turbo problems since blew last motor and boost in reason. Now trans. Now to calm down. Could the ignition module be heating up? Has it got heat conducting paste on it? Just a thought. Maurice
Trans vac should just go to vac tree. That is where mine goes got a check valve in line because of boost . Even read that is not necessary.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm trying to find a place around here that will check the ignition module, since i dont trust myself to test it accurately. i bought it back in 07 from advance, so it could be going bad.
when the mustang will start, the icm does heat up. i put plenty of paste on it when i installed it, but that was a while ago. i noticed that the bottom two bolts had broken the heads off the screws, so i'm wondering if its not getting enough ground, but it was stuck on there pretty good when i took it off. its such a small space that i dont know if i can get the screw bodies out of those holes.

the last time i got it running, i heard a very fast tapping comming from the engine tho. it wasnt there the time before, and seems to only happen on the crappy starts.

i still cant figure out why the eec is making codes that apparently dont exist.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
much to my surprise, advance tested the icm this time. it came up bad. and again to my surprise, they honored my warranty and gave me a new one. gonna put it on the mustang, and put everything else back together, and try it. hopefully i get time today.
i should be by a ford dealer later today, so i'm gonna just go in and ask them about the screwy codes the eec is making.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i put the new icm on the mustang. it started right away. let it sit for about 10 min to relearn idle, it idled high at 1500. i took it out and drove it and it seemed ok, trans was acting a bit off, i might not have right size vacuum line on it. i'm gonna ask in another thread (for the sake of clarity) what size line everyone else has.
i went home and shut the mustang off. right away i tried to turn it back on, and it wont turn on. wonderful. i pulled codes and got the same ones again, 662, 956, 611 (in that order), then after they repeated a new one popped up, 811 (i believe the second set is codes for intermitant probs).
i think the eec is at the root of my probs. i'm gonna start a seperate thread for this code issue, again for the sake of clarity. also, i havent had a chance to get to a ford dealer and ask them yet. hopefully they will be ablke to tell me something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts