Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everybody have these indents? I was drying my car today and noticed one about 3-4 inches to the right of the center line of the front bumper and figured damn must've been chipped from a pebble or something, then noticed the exact thing on the left of the line, exactly the same distance from the center as the other indent, and both centered perfectly top to bottom.

I've had the car for a year now and never noticed these. They are the size of, say, if someone took a sharp pen and just poked them, and maybe a couple millimeters deep. Like I said they're centered and spaced perfectly even which leads me to think they're normal (but why would Ford put this in...?); either that or somebody did a very small, barely noticeable, and very precise vandalism job on my car lol.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Most likely a starter whole for a licence plate bracket so people can put them on straight Out in nj we need front licence plates... and third brakelights... but that didnt stop me :gringreen If you can post a pic I can give you a more accurate answer

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah ok, yeah that sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation. No need for it in MI though! Just funny how I've spot-dried the car for a year now and never noticed them before...that's a good thing though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
They're on my brand new 2012 GT Prem too. Told the dealer I didn't want them drilling holes in my bumper and I had a no-drill bracket, and lo' and behold the factory did it for them :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
They're on my brand new 2012 GT Prem too. Told the dealer I didn't want them drilling holes in my bumper and I had a no-drill bracket, and lo' and behold the factory did it for them :(
so they say, don't think the factory does it, at least they didn't used to.

·
Registered
420 Posts
so they say, don't think the factory does it, at least they didn't used to.
Honestly I believe that they didn't do it. I was down at the dealership about 5 hours after they dropped the car off, it was just getting back from being washed, and I had previously had told them I didn't want holes and they "ok'ed" it. They've been really good to me, so I don't have any reason to doubt them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The small dimples are on all mustangs from factory. The are for mounting a front license plate. They are nothing more than dimples. If you have full blown holes then your dealer screwed you and drilled into your bumper with the intent of placing a tacky front license plate on your car. Most likely one with some sort of advertisement for their dealership.

·
0 Posts
Honestly I believe that they didn't do it. I was down at the dealership about 5 hours after they dropped the car off, it was just getting back from being washed, and I had previously had told them I didn't want holes and they "ok'ed" it. They've been really good to me, so I don't have any reason to doubt them.
They are not installed at the factory and that is a fact.
They are dealer installed.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I was going to buy one of those fancy no-drill brackets up front but since they already have the pilot holes I figured what's the use and just went ahead and used the factory job it came with.

I know Ohio's been talking about going to one plate though, if they pass that I'd be damned happy to pay to have a professional to fill in the holes.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Oops, duplicate post, had a database error first time I hit submit, didn't think it took. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The small dimples are on all mustangs from factory. The are for mounting a front license plate. They are nothing more than dimples. If you have full blown holes then your dealer screwed you and drilled into your bumper with the intent of placing a tacky front license plate on your car. Most likely one with some sort of advertisement for their dealership.
Yeah they are just dimples, that's a much better word to describe them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Take a look at your window sticker and see if front bracket is listed.
If it is then it came with the car and the dealer prep people probably put it on as soon as it came off the truck. Sales guy probably didn't have a clue it was done till he saw it so he said the factory did it which it sort of true, it came from the factory.
My dealer asked me if I wanted the bracket, said no, and it was removed from the order.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks cpowell5.0 for the post on the license plate bracket will be ordering when I get home. Yes the little marks are the pre drill holes .my 2012 has them no licence plate bracket installed. However MT requires a front plate so have to do something her soon or face the wrath of the HPS

·
Registered
47 Posts
Take a look at your window sticker and see if front bracket is listed.
If it is then it came with the car and the dealer prep people probably put it on as soon as it came off the truck. Sales guy probably didn't have a clue it was done till he saw it so he said the factory did it which it sort of true, it came from the factory.
My dealer asked me if I wanted the bracket, said no, and it was removed from the order.

They are there from the factory. "Dimple" is a good word for them as they're not complete holes. They're guides for when you go to install the front plates.

They ARE there, and they WERE NOT drilled. They have paint on top of them, so you know they're not drilled. I missed them the first time I washed my car too....so don't feel so bad, OP.

I'm in the process of uploading a photo of mine. They're not drilled, as GA doesn't require a front plate....but the dimples are there. It's going to take a loooong time to upload tho. I get a terrible signal on my phone inside my office.

·
Registered
348 Posts
They are there from the factory. "Dimple" is a good word for them as they're not complete holes. They're guides for when you go to install the front plates.

They ARE there, and they WERE NOT drilled. They have paint on top of them, so you know they're not drilled. I missed them the first time I washed my car too....so don't feel so bad, OP.
This ^^

When I ordered my car, I told them to leave everything stock as it came off the truck - don't touch ANYTHING.

They didn't. It still had the plastic on the seats, the white tape on some external parts, about 800 miles worth of dirt, rail dust and mud from the trip, etc.

After my 2nd or 3rd wash, I noticed the tiny holes - I wasn't happy as we dont' need front plates in Delaware. They are painted though, so they aren't easily noticible.

Oh, and they didn't even have the license plate on the back or anything. The salesman waited until I showed up to screw on the Temp Tag. Thank god for those holes though. At least I know that the salesman had it centered perfectly as he drilled into the body.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You guys are gonna love this...
So I live in TX, and we are required to have a front tag. Well, like yall, I don't want to drill holes into the bumper, so I chance it. Not the smartest thing I know, but whatever.
A week ago, I get a call to go fly out of town for a few days. I rush to get packed, drive my, sorry to say, dirty 5.0 down to the airport. (been really hectic, hadn't washed it that week yet). I park the car, and fly away. On return, I noticed that some freakin low-life piece of crap had written, all the way across my hood, my license plate numbers....!!! Well, since the car had a bit of road grime all over her, you can imagine the nice, pretty letters that are now all over my hood..... even after I washed her. Having a black one, I have been extremely careful about the two bucket wash system, hard water, blow drying the thing...the whole bit...and now...I can barely see it, but I can see it....I just KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHH!

Okay, I'm done....

Sorry for the long post...just needed to rant a bit...:bounce2:

·
Registered
268 Posts

Well they lied to you....thats on the dealer to install that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts