Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a beautiful Ebony 2012 V6 convertible...signed the papers... hung around while they detailed it...and took possession - :winks

One problem - when I opened the runk...yeah, you know the drill - NO SPARE TIRE...just a "whiz-bang tire inflation kit" with a set of directions as long as my leg.

I just want an 18" doughnut spare...simple jack and lig wrench - the GT comes with 18" spare the same size as my tires (MCA package 235/50 18's) - pretty sure it'll fit my stang since the same spare fits in the GT trunk well...

Ford is proposing to sell me a 17"wheel with a T185/60/R/17 Mini Spare Tire Maxxis (WTF is THAT?) and all the needed equipment ($500+)

Any resources on the aftermarket?

If this is a duplicate of an already much discussed topic, hook me up with the thread please...

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU! :worship

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hmmm. 2011 'verts came with spare, jack, and appropriate tools.

Find a wrecked 2011. Gotta be something you can use at the local wreckers/salvage yards.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Which 2011+ GT did you see with a full size spare?

A full size spare won't fit down in the well all the way.

Anyway, the spare tire issue has been gone over before if you'd like to do a search.

I was looking at the mini spare on my Dad's ranger and it looks like it might work on a new Mustang and you could probably find one at a wrecking yard cheap. It's on a 16" steel wheel though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Canadian marketed convertibles seem to have a cross between pony package and performance package. 18' polished wheels, 3.31 rear end, Pirelli tires, pony split grill, "Mustang" lower stripe, tribar pony emblems, and another host of interior niceties not standard on the coupes.
Now, I'm not absolutely sure that the US cars don't have the same stuff, but, from what I've gathered on this forum, my car seems better appointed than some US marketed convertibles.

Someone will probably chime in shortly to set me straight.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Spare = More Weight:nono:LOL

·
Registered
274 Posts
So, which cars do and which cars don't come with a spare tire vs. this kit thing? I just ordered a V6 Premium Vert. and need to have a spare for cross country trips.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So, which cars do and which cars don't come with a spare tire vs. this kit thing? I just ordered a V6 Premium Vert. and need to have a spare for cross country trips.
Your SOL as far as I know.

I got a jack kit and GT Aluminum 18x4.5" spare wheel from Ebay and the rubber from Maxxis, see sig.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you sure full sized won't fit in the well?

I have heard that they "barely" do. (Could be bad info)

As for mini donuts, I would worry about how the limited slip differential would handle it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
...As for mini donuts, I would worry about how the limited slip differential would handle it.

Thats my concern with a donut/space saver. Can anybody confirm 1) overall diameter of the donut
2) What size tire will ACTUALLY fit in the spare recess?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thats my concern with a donut/space saver. Can anybody confirm 1) overall diameter of the donut
2) What size tire will ACTUALLY fit in the spare recess?
Only the "mini spare" will fit down in the spare tire well. If you try to put a full sized tire in the well it sticks up higher then the current floor. So, the floor board is raised up or you can do without the floor board - messy. The 17" "mini spare" can cause problems with the limited slip differential, depending on the size of your wheels. I have the MCA package with 18" wheels. I bought a mini spare, jack and tire iron on EBAY. If I have a rear flat, I will put the donut spare on a front wheel and use the front tire to replace the flat rear tire. That will prevent a problem with the limited slip differential. I also carry the "glue and pray" kit in the trunk:winks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Only the "mini spare" will fit down in the spare tire well. If you try to put a full sized tire in the well it sticks up higher then the current floor. So, the floor board is raised up or you can do without the floor board - messy. The 17" "mini spare" can cause problems with the limited slip differential, depending on the size of your wheels. I have the MCA package with 18" wheels. I bought a mini spare, jack and tire iron on EBAY. If I have a rear flat, I will put the donut spare on a front wheel and use the front tire to replace the flat rear tire. That will prevent a problem with the limited slip differential. I also carry the "glue and pray" kit in the trunk:winks
That's a good suggestion. I have never had a flat that could be fixed by the spray goo; so, I was pretty bummed when I discovered I had no spare in my '11 MCA either. I'm not sure if it's a full-sized spare, but I know the '11 GT Premium coupe I test drove had a spare. I think it's a design/engineering flaw not to include a full size spare. If it's a weight issue, people can take it out. If it's an effort to keep costs down, give customers an option to include the full size spare!

·
Registered
510 Posts
What is the outside diameter of the mini spare? Could one just run a 27" OD tire with a much skinnier treadwidth to fit the well?

·
Registered
55 Posts
For my vert pony I bought a new jack for $35 and a new steel Ford Explorer 17inch wheel for $50 and put a used 225/60-17 on it. Its just 0.4 inch smaller in diameter than the stock 18 inchers and it fits in the hole. The 18 tires do not, I had a flat and kept the old tire to use as a spare, but it doesn't fit down in the hole, so that is why I went with the size I did, just a tad smaller and fits the hole.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/238671-2011-mustangs-no-spare-tire-5.html

My V6 convertible came with 225 60R17 tires. The dealer parts department says I would need the following spare and jack kit:

Per Dealer Parts Bulletin 3413, the mini-spare wheel is not an option for the 2011 Ford Mustang V6 with 17" and 18"wheels. The following list contains all of the part numbers as communicated in the bulletin that would need to be ordered along with the Ford list price for each:

9R3Z-1007-A (wheel) $150.75
F42Z-1700-A (valve stem) $2.47
4R3Z-17080-AA (jack) $45.20
4R3Z-17032-AA (lug wrench) $15.53
AR3Z-17005-A (lug wrench cover) $40.65
W710349-S437 ("J" hook-bolt) $2.26
E9SZ-1424-A (washer) $5.46
1F1Z-1462-AA ("J" hook cap-nut) $14.25
W711555-S437 (jack retaining bolt) $3.42
5R3Z-17A083-AA (English jacking instructions) $7.00
T185/60R17 (Maxxis tire) $132.00

*The total for all parts needed would be $448.32 (includes tax). The tire, if ordered through a Ford dealer, has to be called in to the Ford tire hotline. The tire is then shipped from a supplier in Canada to the dealer.

No information has been communicated to us in regards to a "kit" being available. If you could find out where this person found this information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Geiger
Asst. Parts Mgr.
AutoWay Ford St. Pete

I picked one up off ebay.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/238671-2011-mustangs-no-spare-tire-8.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts