Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering buying and building a 2005-2009 Mustang GT and fitting it up to race. One of the things I would like to do is strip the car's interior to lighten it up a bit. My goal is less than 3000lbs. If anybody has done something similar, please respond. I'd like to know what you took out and how much each part weighed (approximates are ok). Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Passenger seat, rear seatback (bottoms weighs almost nothing). Spare tire & jack, A/C compressor, stereo. Add an aftermarket K member & radiator support/front swaybar delete.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Passenger seat, rear seatback (bottoms weighs almost nothing). Spare tire & jack, A/C compressor, stereo. Add an aftermarket K member & radiator support/front swaybar delete.
Nice list, STL.

The real question is, is this a strictly track car, or daily driver as well?

Interior panels & dash can be removed. You can replace the stock rims with LIGHTWEIGHT rims & save some good weight. A lighter shortblock, lighter 1 piece driveshaft, and better suspension etc will cut your weight down a TON more... But you'll obvioulsy not have as nice of a daily driver with interior panels missing haha! :shigrin

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
It all dependns on what you are willing to give up.

If you want to keep the car “nice” there isn’t much you can do that won’t cost a ton of money. Even though the car is a fat pig Ford did a good job of making it light. It simply has a ton of crap in it.

I spend an awful amount of time & money stripping weight out of my Roadrace bikes but I am not concerned with loosing any of their “comforts”.

When I got my car I planned on stripping what weight I could out of it and still have it remain “nice”. There wasn’t much there. You quickly get into removing luxuries, roadside equipment, features, etc. and the car is still never going to be light. The only way to strip weight out of the car would be to spend a ton of money if you want to keep it a nice street ride.

On the flip side if you want to go full racecar 2900# wouldn’t be very hard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Start with lighter weight seats. I installed some Corbeau LG 1's. They reduced 75-80 pounds from the car, and IMO, they are more comfortable than the stock leather GT premium seats the car came with. I also removed the Shaker 1000 trunk mounted subwoofers and amps, spare tire/jack, catalytic converters, installed a lighter flywheel, steeda lightweight radiator support, one-piece drive shaft, K-Member. With these and other weight reductions, I've reduced around 250 pounds from the stock curb weight. Just as important, the car is still comfortable to drive.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Id remove what Ford called Rear seats... aka where u put ur bags

Heres a kit so it looks smooth

http://www.americanmuscle.com/seat-delete-kit-05.html

Drops 40 lbs also If ud want it really lite Id start yanking out all the engine parts and car parts that are not needed. Is this still going to be a DD? also if u want a quick wieght looser. take the spare tire out of the car :laugh:

·
Registered
781 Posts
whoops double posted... sry

·
Registered
781 Posts
that is if u have a spare tire... lol

being prepared is so overrated i say :D

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Start with lighter weight seats. I installed some Corbeau LG 1's. They reduced 75-80 pounds from the car
The seats don't even weigh that much. You wouldn't save that kind of weight even if you took the seats out and sat on the floor.

I also removed the Shaker 1000 trunk mounted subwoofers and amps
Great idea, who would want to listen to that?

spare tire/jack
Nothing quite like being stranded on the side of the road to save a few pounds.

catalytic converters
Sure, that doesn’t make it obnoxiously loud for drives longer than 15 minutes

installed a lighter flywheel
20lbs for $370+ labor, smokin deal:bigthumbsup

steeda lightweight radiator support
$180 and saves how much weight?

one-piece drive shaft
$700 for 20lb. I'm speachless.

$500 for another 20lb. Outstanding!

With these and other weight reductions, I've reduced around 250 pounds from the stock curb weight.
I'm only seeing about 160lbs and that's being generous. And at a cost of only about $1750 and that doesn't include the labor for the flywheel and the seats!

Just as important, the car is still comfortable to drive
Of course it is. Your wallet is so thin that it doesn’t make your butt cheek numb.;)

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
The rear seat delete actually only reduces 22 pounds from car. If you remove all the support hardware and seat belt brackets, it's more like 27 pounds. When I installed mine, I weighed everything seperately. I just recently sold it and replaced the rear seat. Although the rear seat delete is a good weight reducer, it allows in too much noise from the rear of the car, into the cabin. I wouldn't install one until driving comfort is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
No it doesn't. I did it. Even after taking out all the belts, fasteners, etc it only saved 14lbs
How about replacing all body panels with fiberglass? Nothing like rolling/getting in a wreck with threaded glass being your only protection! :shigrin

Out of curiosity, not that I'm planning to do this, how much weight would a carbon fiber hood cut off? :scratchchin

·
Registered
781 Posts
No it doesn't. I did it. Even after taking out all the belts, fasteners, etc it only saved 14lbs
I only put that up cause it is what is advertised lol.... Id never wanna get rid of my rear golf club bench!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
If your gonna build a drag race car. Get a Fox or 03-04. If your gonna build one out of an 05. It better be a tube chassis car if your planning to get anywhere near 3000lbs.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Out of curiosity, not that I'm planning to do this, how much weight would a carbon fiber hood cut off? :scratchchin
Not much if you want a hood that will hold up like an OEM one does. To make a DD durable hood out of carbon it would need to be much thicker than you would think. Race cars, etc don’t have to worry about the hood holding up for 50,000mi and all the stuff that takes place over that length of time. Additionally a “street” hood needs a lot of bracing for the hinges, latch, bumpers, keep the center from caving in over 75mph, etc. Lastly you need a TON of resin too make carbon fiber smooth and paintable. That adds a lot of weight. As long as a race hood looks good from 50 feet and 50 mph it has done its job. Lastly a race hood can be made light and thin and be fastened to the car with a couple Dzus fasteners because when they want to get under it they simply pop the fasteners and take the entire hood off.

And the nail in the coffin is that there is not a lot of quality carbon being made out there. Sure, the F1 guys make it an art. But the goofballs in the back 40 don’t or simply can’t afford too. The price of an Autoclave big enough to make a Pre-Preg hood is astronomical.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
If your gonna build a drag race car. Get a Fox or 03-04. If your gonna build one out of an 05. It better be a tube chassis car if your planning to get anywhere near 3000lbs.
I agree 100%. I'm pretty sure the FR500C's are still 3100# and those suckers are damn near a tube chassis car.

I had an 86 with a carbed, all iron 302 with a cage and all the street stuff and it weighed 2750lb with fuel. It was also made of tin foil though:happyhapp

·
Registered
30 Posts
The seats don't even weigh that much. You wouldn't save that kind of weight even if you took the seats out and sat on the floor.

Great idea, who would want to listen to that?

Nothing quite like being stranded on the side of the road to save a few pounds.

Sure, that doesn’t make it obnoxiously loud for drives longer than 15 minutes

20lbs for $370+ labor, smokin deal:bigthumbsup

$180 and saves how much weight?

$700 for 20lb. I'm speachless.

$500 for another 20lb. Outstanding!

I'm only seeing about 160lbs and that's being generous. And at a cost of only about $1750 and that doesn't include the labor for the flywheel and the seats!

Of course it is. Your wallet is so thin that it doesn’t make your butt cheek numb.;)
Being that I'm building to a track only N/A road course car, my mods are all part of the process. As for cost you assume too much, as I have installed everthing, but the rear end gears on my car. And every part that I installed, other than the Corbeau seats, was used (cheaper in price), or in some cases free. And let's not forget the performance gains for some of these weight reducing mods, ie., aluminum driveshaft and flywheel.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I agree 100%. I'm pretty sure the FR500C's are still 3100# and those suckers are damn near a tube chassis car.

I had an 86 with a carbed, all iron 302 with a cage and all the street stuff and it weighed 2750lb with fuel. It was also made of tin foil though:happyhapp
Yeah, you're not going to win the weight battle with an 05+ Mustang unless your just planning to gut the thing to nothing. Even then they aren't the most aerodynamic of cars!:so

And weight transfer................You need to take a sledge and beat the firewall so you can move the motor about 3" back if you really want it to be right. Then hack out the back half of the car and get rid of the three link and go to a 4 link or ladder bars.

There's a reason why Skinny kid doesn't build 05+ up cars anymore.

If your gonna drag this car the odds are against you and you'll need to spend a load of money OR you better making a LOT of power!!:gringreen

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Yeah, you're not going to win the weight battle with an 05+ Mustang unless your just planning to gut the thing to nothing. Even then they aren't the most aerodynamic of cars!:so

And weight transfer................You need to take a sledge and beat the firewall so you can move the motor about 3" back if you really want it to be right. Then hack out the back half of the car and get rid of the three link and go to a 4 link or ladder bars.

There's a reason why Skinny kid doesn't build 05+ up cars anymore.

If your gonna drag this car the odds are against you and you'll need to spend a load of money OR you better making a LOT of power!!:gringreen
I had NO idea you were so good at car stuff!????? :headscratch:

LOL! Well... I'm impressed! I only understood the bolded things in your reply.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So basically JS, you're limited for weight reduction on our cars. You can do a lot of simple things, but you'll have to make up for that difficult to remove weight the PLStang way... More power! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to let you all know, this is a strictly racing car. I am fairly good with cars and have done some mods on my friends' rides for them. Also lets just put all inhibitions aside and say that money is not an issue. I just came into a little bit when my uncle died, and I got my passion for cars from him, so I figured this would be an appropriate project to put the money toward.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.