Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some help on a minor build i would like to do for my early bronco, i know its not a mustang but i couldnt find anybody else who knew what i was talking about for a minor buildup. i have a 5.0 302 motor that came stock in it. i gotta figure out what year the motor is because it isnt the stock one that came in the bronco. anyways i have been reading through a bunch of old hot rod and ford performance books of my dads and trying to figure everything out.

the buildups they use dont really help me because i need to make more hp and torque in my low end, and most of their buildups are in the high rpms. so i was looking through my summit catalog looking for a cam, some heads, and a intake manifold. thinking about a edelbrock performer manifold the dual plane for power from idle-5,500rpm, dont know about a cam or should i get the kit? would like to get one of the 4x4 truck cams like the voodoo cams, but i dont know about the clearance issues with cams and with heads. and when i figure the year out of the motor i would like to get some hooker headers, my father said that those are good headers because they are all made with same length tubing and to get the long tube because of more torque.

whats the difference in the h and x pipes, performance and sound wise?

the motor is attached to a c4 tranny, whats the difference in the shift kits they make for them, the transpak and shift improver?

would a minor build be alright for reliability or should the motor be yanked and completly gone through?

thanks. -kris

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
There are two avenuse of travel you might take. Modify your current motor depending on general condition, or get a HO 5.0 and rebuild that.

The reason I start here is to benefit from a true roller valve train. You could convert the block you have to a roller setup, but again, you must determine how healthy your motor is at present before pouring your cash into modifying it. As you stated the year is important. If you locate a cobra block it might have forged internals and of course that is a positive.

As with all the older 302, 5.0 motors, it is the heads that are most restrictive part there. Consider an aftermarket set you can afford.

An RV type cam. Your choice of manifold and carb are fine and an H pipe has a little more torque potential. Sound is more dependent on the type of mufflers you choose rather than the X H pipe question. Any of the cams you would use in a mild performance motor will not present any clearence probs.

I'd get the shift kit installed by a tranny shop and use the brand they service and sell. They will make sure your transmission is up to it's potential.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.