Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1966 "c" code Coupe. I've been told VIN stamping mistakes are some what common. Is this true? I wonder how this would affect the value of my Stang? The stamped VIN on the shock tower has a U for an engine code.
Thanks, Tony D.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm just wondering why you think it is a "c" code, when the VIN shows a "u". The number on the top of the drivers side inner fender liner should be the correct VIN for your car. If you are looking at the door tag, doors and tags are easily changed. I hope your paperwork matches the number under the hood.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) VINs being mis-stamped by Ford was not at all common. :nogrinner If a car has the wrong VIN stamped on it, that almost always indicates that someone other than Ford has gotten involved in the VIN stamping procedure. The engine code of U indicates 170 cid six cylinder, which was dropped from the list of available motors in August of 64. If your car actually is a 66 model car, it definitely did not come with a 170 six cylinder. It could be that your car has had some panels from an earlier car used for some sort of repairs, though. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car shows no evidence of replaced panels. The door tag has an identical VIN to the stamped VIN except the stamped VIN has a U instead of a C. All parts and trim are 1966. This car is very original and complete. The Stamped VIN under the hood would never had been on a 64.5 it starts with a 6 thus 1966. Thank you for your input. Tony D.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i feel your pain

hmmm, my 66 has an issue also....ive owned the car since 78 and just noticed a while back that the 3 frt apron stamps are indicating coupe (07), but the door tag is stamped correctly indicating fastback (09).. it gets better- i checked the old va title i had and it indicates...............(08) yep, convertable............i need to go to the maryland mva where i now live to get a new title and hopefully tags--the car has been off the road since 82 doing the obligitury rotesseri style restoration.....no its never been cut up or altered before i bought it. it is also a red hipo automatic gt..... the door plate reads
6f09k314533 63a t 25 13d 27 i am going to fill out the door plate number and act surprised if they catch it when i apply for the new title....but still, i believe this was a a factory misstamp issue that will cause a lot of fuss when i go to a show..the block is not stamped with a vin but has the rght caps and i believe is original

1 - 5 of 5 Posts