Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Yesterday, I decided to change spark plugs on my 2002 v6. I started it from plug 1 to Plug 6. But I could not take 1-4-5-6 out. So I just replaced plugs 2 and 3.

After that when I started my car, It was misfiring (But no code). My friend said there was some smoke from plug area 1-2-3. Then I immediate turned off the ignition. Again I started the car, no smoke but it was still misfiring.

I changed the plugs with this:
Autolite Copper/Spark Plug (145) | AutoZone.com

I gaped all the new one to .054" and also applied some dielectric grease also on the thread. Not sure what should I cheek next.

Please help !!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wrong spark plugs (AP605) & make sure you connected the correct wires to ignition coil. Don't drive it till you put the correct plugs back in.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Just wondering. When the spark plug wires were replaced did you use all factory stand offs and looms? Are the wires touching any metal parts?

Are you positive the wires are hooked up correctly? I have to say that the odds favor a mistake in your work. Go back and double check your work.

Here's some information that may help:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...king-rough-idling-injectors-next.html#2951811

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked all the connection 2-3 times. I was doing it one at a time. So I am pretty sure that there should be no sequence break.

Wires were under the plug boot, so I don't think it would have touched any metal part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more information :

• I hav't not used any torque wrench, just tighten it a bit.

• Also I covered the plug thread with anti seize grease. I will say it was not too much but sufficient enough to cover the plug threads.

Could that be a problem?

help please !!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Some more information :

• I hav't not used any torque wrench, just tighten it a bit.
  • Also I covered the plug thread with anti seize grease. I will say it was not too much but sufficient enough to cover the plug threads.
Could that be a problem?

help please !!!
I would pull each plug and look at it to make sure there is no anti sieze on the electrode. If you still have the miss, put one original back at a time and check for improvement. I have bought bad spark plugs before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I will try replacing my old plugs and see if that works.

Do you think I should try changing wire set also, as there was some smoke at the very first start after changing the plugs. I am wondering if it would have damaged the wire set.

Also is it safe to drive the car in this condition ? I am thinking if by any chance I could not fix it, I will take it to some Auto Shop.

Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced the old ones all at a time as I want my cat in running state by morning and I thought, it will be back to original state.

But NO improvement :(. Still misfiring. Checked, there were no anti sieze on the electrode.

Should I try changing wire set now?

Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know it sounds silly, but verify that the numbers on the coil pack coorespond to the cylinder number. #1 thru 3 are on passenger side (from front to back) and #4 thru 6 are on drivers side.

The coil pack is labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5...not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Also, i have had a wire seperate from the plug connector, even though the wire looks in tact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed the wires also. No improvement.

I checked all the connection 4-5 times, it was all good. Then finally I gave up and took the car to auto shop.

He said, one of spark plug was cracked while I was installing those. I don't know how It could have happened, but now its running GOOD.

This forum is helping me for a long time. Thanks guys for your time and suggestions.

- Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts