Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this community and new to owning a Mustang. I just purchased a 07 mustang GT with 140k on it. The wife says midlife crisis. I am having a misfire occasionally when traveling on the interstate in overdrive or any place it goes to a higher gear and I press it down just a bit. There is smell of gas when this happens. Also notice a miss at WOT. WOT is not as bad as the traveling speed one. Every now and then it will miss so bad that the engine light flashes then after a bit it will stop. The light shows and o2 sensor. I replaced them and replaced fuel filter while I was at it. Problem was worse when I first got it and I ran some cleaner through the first tank of fuel. This improved it but can't seem to shake this last bit of it. Any help would be appreciated​

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.

We’re glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The CEL flashing is sometimes a sign of a misfire so I would hook up a scanner and come back and post what codes you have.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Sounds like one of the coil packs. If the 'puter doesn't tell you anything, old school diagnosis is to pull the plugs and find out which ones are darker than the others.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Sounds like one of the coil packs. If the 'puter doesn't tell you anything, old school diagnosis is to pull the plugs and find out which ones are darker than the others.
That's one way. Another is to pull the coil packs one at a time and pinpoint those that don't produce any change in idle quality.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
That's one way. Another is to pull the coil packs one at a time and pinpoint those that don't produce any change in idle quality.
I keep a spare COP and have used that before.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
^ that seems like a great way to do it; when (and if) the misfire disappears, you can just leave it on there

of course it helps to know that it is good; I have seen some posts about bad COP's brand new out-of-the-box . . . but you'll know soon enough one way or the other

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If a code scan comes up with a misfire code then that should tell you what cylinder it is unless it just registers a general misfire code. Go to any major auto parts store to get the car scanned for free. If the misfire doesn't happen noticeably for about 50 miles give or take then the code will disappear so make sure that you have it scanned shortly after it happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts