Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I own a 84 Mercury Capri RS Turbo. Recently it's been running a little rough and I haven't been able to figure out what's going on. Under boost and WOT the car seems to sputter, almost like a missfire but runs fine otherwise. If the turbo is boosting, but not WOT it runs fine too. Also sometimes when I first start the car, and the engine is cool it will sound like it's running on 3 cylinders, but then goes away minutes later. So far all I've done is clean out the IAC in order to get it to idle normal again (it would stick at 2,000 rpm then pulsate up to 2,500).

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Welcome. Will try but I am more familiar with the 2.3 turbo EFI. Have you tried a complete tuneup?. Also change the fuel filter. Vacuum leak. From what I read those cars have alot of vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yea, just to add some more info..
When I cleaned the IAC I pulled the boot that goes from the turbo to the intake off and it had a lil bit of oil in it. Today, I checked the air filter and there was also a small amount of oil hanging out down by the Air Flow Meter. The car does burn some oil when it first starts (valve seals? They were done maybe ten years ago..), and most of the time it smokes white. I know for a fact that's not because of coolant.

Just and update on how it's been running..
Runs great! Until the turbo boosts. In all gears now when I get into the throttle it misses, or spits while in boost. Wastegate stuck? Like I said, it's only when the turbo spools up, I can drive the car around town normally without beating on it and it runs fine. If someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate any info. I don't even know where to begine. =[

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure tester? If not, go to the local parts store and get one.
Then hook it up and run it under your windshield wiper and tape it to the windshield as well.
Take the car out for a spin and see what fuel pressure does under boost. It should raise 1psi for each psi of boost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.