Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals, I was cleaning my engine compartment yesterday when I noticed that I am missing 1 bolt/nut in the middle of my passenger side valve cover. All the other bolts check out and I haven't noticed any leakage after inspecting it, but I am just wondering if this is any cause for concern. It has not been worked on or removed since it came off the factory line. Could it have wiggled out due to heat expansion and or vibration? :didnotdoit:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Those two reasons could be the reason it came out. It's not a huge deal, especially if it's not leaking. But if you have time, maybe you can go to the hardware store and pick up an extra bolt.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
It can cause a problem over time due to lack of clamping on that part of the valve cover gasket. I'd fix it. Could conceivably cause the other adjacent ones to loosen.

·
Banned
612 Posts
Keep an eye on it and something like that should be top priority before anything else is done to the car. Just because it's not leaking does not mean it should be left that way. It SHOULD be cause for concern if you CARE about your vehicle, which you probably do, or you wouldn't have asked. I would also avoid rompin' on it until it's fixed as well, especially while the engine is cold and the engine oil pressure is at its highest. You could be asking for disaster or even fire if you ignore it and drive it hard.

How it came out is irrelevant, getting it back in is your only answer. It's unlikely to catch fire, but it's not totally unheard of. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can cause a problem over time due to lack of clamping on that part of the valve cover gasket. I'd fix it. Could conceivably cause the other adjacent ones to loosen.
Done! Appreciate it, went down to the dealership, and they checked it out and replaced it. No charge. Thanks for the replies.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done! Appreciate it, went down to the dealership, and they checked it out and replaced it. No charge. Thanks for the replies.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
268 Posts
Let me clarify what I was trying to say: you should ( and have) definitely get it fixed, but it's not super urgent. Meaning if you have a dentist appointment or something, don't cancel it just so you could get the bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts