Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at MaximumMotorsports upper control arms and they are stock look-a-likes!! I know they are much stronger than the stockers. I have a couple of question regarding these....(Smurf and I touched on these in a different thread...didn't want to hijack!!)

- These don't come with the bushings, you have to order them separately for another $35. To me that's kind of chickensh** on MM's part. Aren't you replacing the control arms because of worn bushings? ...or you replace the control arms because they are better?? I suppose you have to order both since the bushings would be "old" and worn so they got ya!!
- Do you have to order the bushing removal/install tool to make it easier or is there a makeshift way to remove the bushings?

Upper Control Arms : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Those uppers are from FORD racing not MM, they are sold with just the frame-side bushings, the axle bushings are optional since they are pressed-into the differential. Thats why MM sells them separately

If you need better uppers, look elsewhere, MM sells mostly road racing arms where stock uppers are rarely replaced. If you are a drag racer look at other options.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the MM's look identical to the stock ones. Someone told me they were heavier duty than the stock ones.

My car is mostly street with an occasional trip to the track. I want to use drag radials eventually without ripping apart anything so I want to make sure I have the right components. Right now, I have the MM lower tubular non-adjustable LCA's with torque box reinforcements welded in place.

So if I keep the stock ones and update the bushings, it'll be ok? .....or should I go with a tubular upper...something like UPR or the like? Please keep myh budget in mind!!! I'm trying to keep this under $200.
What will replacing the uppers gain me...traction? Stability? Better launches? I have already ordered the upper torque box reinforcements.

I know....a torque arm would be quite nice, but not funded for that so I'm going a more conventional route! :yelwacko:

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
First of all, you do know that the bushings MM is advertising is for the axle housing, not the arms, right? That's pretty much industry standard. They don't automatically include the axle bushings because some people want rubber, some want polyurethane, and others want spherical bearings.

Maximum makes good suspension, no question. But before I'd mess with stamped steel arms, I'd just buy the UPR Elite arms. They are very strong tubular chrome-moly with polyurethane bushings and they have a lifetime guarantee.

79-04 Mustang Chrome Moly Solid Upper Control Arm Kit

If you want to replace the bushings in the axle housing and you're worried about bind, run these:

79-04 Mustang Billet 8.8" Spherical Bushings

They will not be harsh when combined with the polyurethane bushings on the arms.

I've been running the UPR arms on my own Mustangs for 9 years and they work great.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sharad! good info! :bigthumbsup
Yes, I'm aware the bushings are for the axle side as I am seeing a trend of no axle bushings on any UCA's I've looked at.

Will I need to buy the bushing extractor/installer or can I get away without it?

Those spherical bushings look like they'll hurt!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Marky glad you ordered the upper torque box reinforcements your car will thank you later.

They way to get stubborn bushings out is with a torch.

Also with spherical bushings, I have never run them on my street ride but they are a bit more firm. It all depends on what you can put up with. People run with solid motor mounts and say they don't feel the difference but I do I guess I am getting old at the age of 37 :laugh:

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Thanks Sharad! good info! :bigthumbsup
Yes, I'm aware the bushings are for the axle side as I am seeing a trend of no axle bushings on any UCA's I've looked at.

Will I need to buy the bushing extractor/installer or can I get away without it?

Those spherical bushings look like they'll hurt!!! :laugh:
I've seen a trick where they slowly roll about an 1/8th inch drill bit (in a drill) all the way around the bushing and it sort of draws the bushing out. I think it was on youtube? Anyway, I think I used a BFH and a large punch the last time I did it. It's been years.

As for the spherical bearings, if it's not your daily driver and you keep the poly bushings on the other side, I wouldn't hesitate to use the sphericals. I use them on both ends of my control arms, but I never really cared about a smooth comfortable ride. Either way, the sphericals are not necessary. They just free up the axle motion a bit. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Marky I must admit you work quickly and diligently. And great looking out and educating others.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:bigthumbsup Thanks Smurf!! Just passing on what I'm learning from you guys!

....and you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts