Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haya,

I read the MMFF Vortech install article today and had a few questions...

I guess that's the T-trim since they had 11 PSI? What does the T-trim intale? How do I upgrade my S-trim? Cost? Drivability (every day driver)?

What about my fuel flow even with the S-trim.
Ported heads with stronger (larger) valves and springs, CMDPs, LT Headers, X-pipe.
Will a Boost-A-Pump suffice? Dual pumps? Fuel Lines? Return Line? Fuel Rails? Better than 39# injectors?

My compression is going to be about 10.5:1 due to the heads, I can change that with my forged shortblock, what is recommended for SC aplications?

Hopefully there will be some working SC cams avail. How much might they be? How do they affect drivability on my every day commute?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
kj_cinci said:
Haya,

I read the MMFF Vortech install article today and had a few questions...

I guess that's the T-trim since they had 11 PSI? What does the T-trim intale? How do I upgrade my S-trim? Cost? Drivability (every day driver)?

What about my fuel flow even with the S-trim.
Ported heads with stronger (larger) valves and springs, CMDPs, LT Headers, X-pipe.
Will a Boost-A-Pump suffice? Dual pumps? Fuel Lines? Return Line? Fuel Rails? Better than 39# injectors?

My compression is going to be about 10.5:1 due to the heads, I can change that with my forged shortblock, what is recommended for SC aplications?

Hopefully there will be some working SC cams avail. How much might they be? How do they affect drivability on my every day commute?

Thanks!
Nobody seem to know or care on here so I'll reply myself... :rolleyes: called Vortech today... they have about a 30 minute hold for all 05-06 bozos calling in for the 511 HP package...

PS. Heard about ANOTHER busted engine today, snapped rod... Paxton blower...

Here is what I found out...

It was "probably an S-trim" they have had S-trims up to 11.5 PSI in testing (not on purpose!), so in short they range from 8.5 to 11.5...?!? WTF Thought this was a pressision high tech add-on!?! They said motors, climate, etc, differs...?!?

The T-trim up grade is about $600 but you'll need to double that for the install, not counting fuel upgrades... It is however tested, and warrantied up to 27 PSI!!!!!!! :happyhapp

I'll go with the dual pumps, MD fuel line upgrade, fuel rails with cross-over and try it with the 39 lb injectors as they should be able to do it under high preassure, have been known to spray at + 40 lbs (are rated to 42)....

Will have to lower my comp with the shortblock... might be I'm close to 11:1 right now... will meassure next week... will be in the low 9's with the new shortblock.

Am still waiting for the word on drivability with cams, suposedly SC cams are not to extreme and should keep the car 'very' streetable... and up to 40 RWHP is not to joke about... will have to wait and see until they are for sale. (They are having lubricating issues with the oil supply...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Say hello to the dummy....

I guess I'm the dummy! :dunce: I've got some questions for ya:

1. What is a MMFF Vortech? I'm guessing a Super Charger?
2. What are S-Trim, T-Trim? No idea.
3. Is the SC Cam just a part of the Super Charger or are we talking about the engine Cam?

Sorry for the ignorance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
I guess I'm the dummy! :dunce: I've got some questions for ya:

1. What is a MMFF Vortech? I'm guessing a Super Charger?
2. What are S-Trim, T-Trim? No idea.
3. Is the SC Cam just a part of the Super Charger or are we talking about the engine Cam?

Sorry for the ignorance.
LOL, we're all here to learn!

1. MMFF is a magazine, Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords... They had a big install and dyno on a Vortech super charger in the last number...

2. S-trim is the standard supercharger, then you can chose to have the cooled or uncooled version, about a $1,000 and depending on the rest of you engine at least 50 HP diff... T-trim is an upgrade to the internals of your Vortech which make it CAPABLE of providing boost up into the high 20's!! You can buy it in T-trim or send your S-trim in to have it upgraded by Vortech it involves stronger parts, a better fan, etc. Then you can pulley it as much as you want... :happyhapp Of course with massive work to the fuel system, I think that's thre reason the T-trim only comes in a tuners version, = without fuel/air management and tune/er... Many T-trims are the once you see running 8's, +1,500 HP blown engines with a bath tub of ice slush where the back seat used to be and plumming you could fit through... okay maybe not that large... :rolleyes:

3. It's the engine cams, in the cylinder heads. For other (older) cars there is sets out to work better with super chargers than stock. You can of course get any set of larger cams, or use stock but the ultimate would be specially made cams for super chargers. I think they allow for the exhaust valve to be open longer than other mod cams, and stock of course...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
kj_cinci said:
I think that's thre reason the T-trim only comes in a tuners version, = without fuel/air management and tune/er... Many T-trims are the once you see running 8's, +1,500 HP blown engines with a bath tub of ice slush where the back seat used to be and plumming you could fit through... okay maybe not that large... :rolleyes:
You will never see a T-Trim make 1500 HP, they can't flow enough CFM to make that kind of power. You would have to go to the top of Vortechs superchargers like there XX Trim which will support 1400+ HP and flows roughly 700 more CFM than the T-Trim units. Just so you know:winks


-Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben,

You're right, I was thinking of one twin set up I saw... and most making that kinda power use turbo(s)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Hey dude, does my head look larger now?

KJ,
Once again, thank you for the knowledge! I want to save up and put a Paxton on my V6 like the one in the CS6...but really it's a pipe dream because I bet it envolves WAY more than just strapping on a S/C. Anyway, it'd take me like a year to save up and sneak that by the wife. :tongue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K_W,

If I had a V6 I'd go turbo hands down!!! :drool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
kj_cinci said:
K_W,

If I had a V6 I'd go turbo hands down!!! :drool:
Funny, this is the same thing my mechanic said. He wanted to know, "Why are you going to spend $3500 on a S/C when a Turbo would be a cheaper and better investment for your V6?" I don't know enough about engines to make the educated decision on which to get. I had a turbo car back in the 80's and had some problems from it. Are today's turbos more reliable? What exactly are the pro's and con's of having either a S/C or a Turbo? How much HP extra would a turbo give?

There ya go! Chew on those questions for a while. :happyhapp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A turbo is 'always' better, also for the V8! It doesn't rob any power from your engine, depending application of course but let's say about 10%. So if I make 600 with all said and done I coulda had 660 with a similar turbo set up. Now those are both huge numbers but the differance I'd guess would be more noticeble in a V6... 380 vs 340 RWHP or so...

The turbo install is more involved and thus cost more, but the unit itself is about the same, maybe a bit less... you'll have to go with a cooled unit with a turbo though...

The turbos are more reliable than the SC since they have no belt. Of course you would have to have a good instalation so you don't get leaks with the turbo as there is more and more involved plumbing from your headers... With that said I don't think either will give you much problems these days!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Again, thank you KJ. And sorry for hijacking the thread. :winks
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top