Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the few shows I attend, always like to have some display items especially if I am showing the car. Hot Wheels just came out with an 05 GT Vert 1/18th scale...so while the actual car is getting it's performance mods..figured why not get the die cast modded too.

Friend of mine (retired-engineer) does custom stuff for me, non car related, so decided to give him a crack at the die cast..as you can see , still work in progress.

I didn't even ask & he molded the duck tail & front splitter & added the hood pins. He will be adding a light bar, actual lights, & he has a digital shot of my Plate & will add a mini scaled plate of my actual license plate. I can also do a digital recording of my car once the S/C & bassani's are added & he can add a functional sound chip ..among other things ..

Well hope you enjoy the pics..will add a final batch when he's done.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Where do I get one

I agree, when going to show, it is a cool touch to have a minature of your ride there with it, you know sitting on the intake of a open hood vehicle. Looks like a nice job. Just one question, where do I get a Hot Wheels 1:18 scale model of a 2005 GT Vert? Oh by the way, are your stripes on your actual Stang, painted on or a stripe kit? If a stripe kit where did you get it. I have a Black GT Vert, and I want I red stripes on it. All the kits I have seen, are for hard tops.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mrvandermey said:
I agree, when going to show, it is a cool touch to have a minature of your ride there with it, you know sitting on the intake of a open hood vehicle. Looks like a nice job. Just one question, where do I get a Hot Wheels 1:18 scale model of a 2005 GT Vert? Oh by the way, are your stripes on your actual Stang, painted on or a stripe kit? If a stripe kit where did you get it. I have a Black GT Vert, and I want I red stripes on it. All the kits I have seen, are for hard tops.
I got mine on ebay ..here is a link to one
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-WHEELS-2005-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-CONVERTIBLE-RED-NEW_W0QQitemZ6977325254QQcategoryZ16482QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-WHEELS-2005-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-CONVERTIBLE-1-18-RED_W0QQitemZ6977516679QQcategoryZ45348QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My guy does studio props & custom jobs for up to $$$ thousands..so he is set up to bang it out fairly quick..I have only seen the red so far but shouldn't be to hard to spray it black & keep the red interior for your car...My stripes are vinyl ..got them also on ebay ..from this seller as was recommended to me from this forum

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLD-05-Mustang-PRE-CUT-10-Shelby-Stripes-3M_W0QQitemZ7982053378QQcategoryZ50448QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it's Baltimore street mods...guys easy to work with if you need extra pieces etc...

Well here it is almost done..You can see the lights are on ( not Saleen HD's though ) :happyhapp

( I got the email as I was typing this LOL )

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
You know, I love these little stangs almost as much as the big ones. That looks great. I need to find me some cool friends like that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks good. I've done a lot of minuature work myself over the years. (all 1:24 & 1:25 scale though) I'm impressed with his body work and other custom touches, but I'm surprised he free-handed the stripes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That car is awesome. Your friend is very talented. I'm glad he didn't put the GT500 on the stripe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Your friend is a true artist. I just bought a Hot Wheels 1/18 scale hardtop and was considering doing the same thing with mine to match my windveil blue; but, I don't feel confident taking this built model apart to refinish it.

I've dabbled with die-cast models before and they usually come out pretty nice. The job your friend did (especially witht e working headlights) is really nice.

·
Registered
816 Posts
WOW! Very nice. I have been waiting for the '05 vert to be produced (model that is :cool:) I did the same thing, though to a much lesser degree, to the die-cast model of my '02 Explorer Sport Trac. I have to tell ya, that is the most expensive model I have ever done, but it now matches my ST. Now, I wonder if I can find the Hotwheels vert anywhere around my neck of the woods. Hmmm. :wavey

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MGPony said:
Your friend is a true artist. I just bought a Hot Wheels 1/18 scale hardtop and was considering doing the same thing with mine to match my windveil blue; but, I don't feel confident taking this built model apart to refinish it.

I've dabbled with die-cast models before and they usually come out pretty nice. The job your friend did (especially witht e working headlights) is really nice.
Hey guys thanks..for the compliments..I asked my friend about the job & this is what he said :eek:

"As for the "how was the job" question. I will never do another one. What a pain in the ass. everything on the car is held together by melting little plastic tits over when they pass threw a metal hole. The metal is a b!tch to cut and drill and none of the lights are made in such a way as to be able to add lights easly. Just a total SOB from start to finish."
:madas:

I said ...OK then.. guess I won't ask for any more :happyhapp LOL ! He's a bit tempermental but wanted to show you what is involved for anyone looking to do same..off the bat I'd imagine get yourselves a glue gun & dremmel. Or wait unitl your actual color comes out. :winks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KBE said:
That car is awesome. Your friend is very talented. I'm glad he didn't put the GT500 on the stripe.
Spoke to soon..:winks he did get the GT 500 in there..gotta remember ..I wanted it close to my car as possible.

This is more or less the finished product..he got the boot wrong color & no light bar & side scoops ...those will do myself..wheels aren't correct either but I doubt I will find cobra3 rims on a diecast model..maybe older style halibrand w/knockoffs are on a cobra diecast..so may butcher one & swap the wheels ....overall am pleased..he even has the turn signal lights ilumintated.

Now if I could just get my real car finished ....:shrug

Attachments

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Tell your friend he's a real craftsman/awesome!

G

·
That is so cool. I don't even have an 05 but I am going to get one. Now all I have to do is find a friend to modify it for me !

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know your friend said it was the biggest pain in the a--; but, he should consider how much interest there is with people here on this forum to have die-cast model cars like their real ones. Granted, they don't have to have working lights. He should consider taking on a few commissions; it might be a worth while venture for him.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MGPony said:
I know your friend said it was the biggest pain in the a--; but, he should consider how much interest there is with people here on this forum to have die-cast model cars like their real ones. Granted, they don't have to have working lights. He should consider taking on a few commissions; it might be a worth while venture for him.
I don't think it's one particular aspect of a job that matters to him but the overall process & more importantly, his interest. He likes challenges & is more into space themed stuff. Only reason he did it for me is I've commissioned him to do LOTS of projects for me over the years. Originally, just thought he'd mask off 2 stripes & shoot it white but he's compelled to do a proper job & one he knew I would like based on pictures of my car I sent.

I'll show you the type of stuff he's into building with a collage picture & a few random projects. What you see in the collage are working full size scale projects like a 1960's time machine , An actual remote control drivable sled from the movie Forbidden Planet w/a full size working Robby Robot :happyhapp

Also one of 3 Full size Musical Robots he created that are like an actual Band. He's been on Discovery's Monster Nation & a featured in a few other shows over the years . Has an UNBELIEVABLE robot museum . I guess this strayed from the mustang talk . Sorry :dunce:

PS- If this video Link works , you gotta see the Sled Waste the mail box !:winks
http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/Mov00025.mpg

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
I thought your friend was a hobbiest, but now I see he's much more than that.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Models

WOW, your friend is simply an artist of great skill. When I was I kid I was really into model building, and I even built a few (a Mustang and a Camaro) that were rather impressive; however, they were equivilant to snap-together models compared to your friend's work. As for your light bar and wheels, sooner or later, someone is likely to come out with a 1:18 scale model of a 2006 GT500, just get one and rape the wheels from it. As for the light bar, you could get a model of the 2005 Mustange GT Prototype (the one that was not actually released) and take its lightbar (not exactly correct, but darn close). Anyway, your model is very nice looking, almost as nice looking as your actual ride. :winks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts