Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed it, took longer than I wanted but that was mainly because of the sound tube not the CAI.

so the issues, mainly fitment stuff -

1st issue - The little metal tube on the passenger side of the intake sticks down and back, and is almost touching the coolant reservoir, so when you re-attach the rubber tube to connect it up, it is pressed against the coolant reservoir. I assume it was designed with an aftermarket coolant reservoir and not the stock one which is why the clearance issue but if it was angled slightly more up, instead of down, it would resolve the clearance issue as it would go over the coolant reservoir instead of right at it.

2nd issue - The same tube on the driver side, the rubber tube does not fit all the way back on, it looks like the metal may have been cut at a slight angle and is too long or catching (I broke the little slide clip anyway and need to get a new one but even if I had it it wouldn't slide back into place because the metal lip it holds to isn't far enough into the connector)

3rd issue - the metal support beam I assume is supposed to be connected down on the alternator below where the stock airbox was since that's the only place it fit, it just feels kinda wonky, maybe it's just me.

4th issue - the air filter goes down into the fender, but is left hanging on a down angle from the tubing, and when bolting it on, that end of the pipe had one side that was slightly flat so not a perfectly round tube, and with the pipe clamp, I just didn't feel like I was getting a good solid hold of the filter onto the pipe as if it would fall off over time, maybe a filter with a longer section that slides over the tube so that you can get a better bite on it and really lock it down. Also it seems like the only way to get it out to clean it is to uninstall the entire intake and drag it out clean it and then re-install the whole thing.

5th issue - how in the hell do you guys get that sound tube nut off the firewall, I tried a deep 10mm socket but couldn't get it on there, and tried a ratcheting 10mm wrench but the sound tube gets in the way and I can't get it on either, did you come in from underneath? like seriously, I hate that ford did that that way, like I want to go ford hq, with the sound tube, walk into the CEOs office and throw it on his desk and be like WTF MAN!

The good:

Sounds good, looks good, no complaints in those aspects.

Edit: One more note - the MAF sensor doesn't feel lose but the little screws aren't tightened all the way down either, not sure if it's just the way it sits against the plate it's going in to that they don't tighten all the way down or if I need to tighten it more, but I tried moving it around and it doesn't move on the screws so I assume it's secure?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Actually I just carefully pryed and wiggled the the ring on the sound tube off of the mount and left the bolt there. I sanded the miss cut hose fitting so it worked, which is rather ridiculous for a part from MMR as these people are supposed to be some of the best engine builders around? I also put a throttle body spacer in to smooth out the off of idle throttle response. ALL in all the car sounds much better, gets a lot better mpgs, but with the roar from the CAI it's hard not to punch it all the time.:grin:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I just carefully pryed and wiggled the the ring on the sound tube off of the mount and left the bolt there. I sanded the miss cut hose fitting so it worked, which is rather ridiculous for a part from MMR as these people are supposed to be some of the best engine builders around? I also put a throttle body spacer in to smooth out the off of idle throttle response. ALL in all the car sounds much better, gets a lot better mpgs, but with the roar from the CAI it's hard not to punch it all the time.:grin:
Yeah I wound up hacksawing the end of that piece off so the tube fit on better.

And I had to have the car in for service that same weekend anyways so had the dealer pull the sound tube while they had it up on the lift.

Did the spacer work? I'm just kinda eh about it lately, it looks nice, and sounds good but it feels sluggish in the low rpms over stock and the passenger side hose is still sitting right against the coolant reservoir which bugs me, on top of that I'm kinda iffy on the cone filter with such a small slip fitting and pipe clamp on a down angle where it's at, I keep worrying it's gonna pop off on a pull.

I have noticed cooler intake air temps when at speed, on average only about 5 degrees over what the dash shows as ambient, however, when stopped or in low speeds, the temps skyrocket pretty quickly due to their being no heat shield to block off the hot air from the engine bay flowing into the wheel well.

Is there a better CAI option?
As far as "better", I wouldn't know. They all do pretty much the same thing anyways, just with different designs and aesthetics. I've been debating switching back to the stock box or switching out for the AEM intake (http://www.aemintakes.com/images/l/AEM-21-745C_Eng.jpg). I went with the MMR because I didn't want to jump into a tune yet. And most of the CAI's require a tune so it's kinda off putting. I really just wanted the cleaner, leaner look, wasn't looking to make a big performance gain.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The throttle body spacer helps on the low end and gives me better gas mileage, it took a bit of time for the car to learn it though. I average around 24+ mpg, so the CAI and throttle body is doing something! I drive mostly back roads and two lane country highways, but I'll generally grad a couple gears on the way,mostly I drive it easy though. Throttle body spacers actually get fairly good reviews on auto part sites, the one I have works very well. Most of the negative comments seem to come from people that have no real experience with them. The one I got is a Vortice #729850, it's no listed as fitting the 2015 GT, but works perfectly and only cost $40!:wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts