Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I just got a basically new tranney, everything other than the case is new. On my way home the only ATF i could find was mobile 1 multi purpose MERCON V. Is this ok to run in my t5? I usually use lucus but I couldn't find it and am waiting to find out if the mobil 1 is ok to use to put the tranney back in.

thank in advance

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry about the post I got my answer from the shop who built my tranney. they said it was ok. I did try calling before I posted but I couldn't get an answer.

G

·
sorry about the post I got my answer from the shop who built my tranney. they said it was ok. I did try calling before I posted but I couldn't get an answer.

No biggie i am sure the info will help somebody else.......

so it is ok to use in a T5

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Yes, you should be able to use that fluid. If the tranny calls for a Mercon and you can find the synthetic version of Mercon, then it's alright.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gonna end up having to get more fluid anyway. stupidly I tried to put the fluid in before I put the tranney in and almost all of it leaked out.
also I tried to put the tranney in with the bellhousing already on the block. didn't work at all haha. Is it even possible to do that? I was trying to avoid dealing with bellhousing to block dowels.

another thing I found out was that the transmission that was in my car was out of an 87. I was thinking this wasn't even possible but I guess since the bellhousing was also that it worked. I ended up having the shop trade to the shorter input shaft since I didn't bring the bellhousing with me and the shop is over 3 and a half hours away

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've read on other posts where synthetic doesn't let the syncros get enough friction to do there job and you'll end up grinding gears a lot. Personally, I'd stick with the Dextron III/Mercron and add a bottle of Lucas Trans Fix. JMHO, YMMV.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've read on other posts where synthetic doesn't let the syncros get enough friction to do there job and you'll end up grinding gears a lot. Personally, I'd stick with the Dextron III/Mercron and add a bottle of Lucas Trans Fix. JMHO, YMMV.
Very interesting.
I was going to switch over to Royal Purple thinking the synthetic was better.
Does anyone have any feedback on the Royal Purp trans oil?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
put it in the t5 in my s-10 after going under water during KATRINA, shifts better than new.... but the water was only in it for a couple of years. :hihi:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.