Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week has been fun, and although I am walking a little funny from the sore muscles, I think some real improvements have been made. I got my suspension parts in on Tuesday, and that evening I put the LCA's (J&M) the relocation brackets (CHE), and the panhard bar (J&M) in. The LCA's were a cakewalk.. it was more work to clean the grease off my hands than to put them in. The only thing that had me surprised was that there were no grease fittings on any of the parts.. all poly ends.. All the instruction manuals and pics mention them, but they aren't there. Odd. The relocation brackets were beefy and nicely done. However, the driver side was a little tight, but after a little coaxing with a clamp, they slid on and bolted in beautifully. The passenger side was a bugger, it was welded slightly off, so one bolt hole didn't line up quite right, and I ended up using a die grinder to open it up about a millimeter. The panhard was tough because I think the axel shifted when I was hammering on end in, so I had to widen it to get it lined up, then crank it back afterwards. The only thing I don't like is the passenger side nut for adjustment is covered by the bracket.. I *might* be able to get an open end wrench in there, but it looks to be 22 or 24 mm, and I just don't have one that big. I got the axel centered within an eight of an inch, but if I need to do more fine tuning it will be a bear.

The upper control arm and Torque limiters were just too much of a pain on jack stands, so this morning I am bringing it to my buddy to do on his lift. It's a convertible, so it already has a factory K brace, and I think a couple holes will need to be drilled to get the CHE K brace installed so the torque limiters can go on. I didn't want to do that with the holes a half inch from my face.

Gauges came in last night so I got them in, the Aeroforce is nice, but the buttons are a pain.. gotta push them just right.. Love having a shift light though, and it was nice getting to see that my fuel pressure and IAT were right on.

After the supercharger went in, I started thinking that the engine bay is looking a bit cluttered, so in effort to clean it up I ordered some dress items, but I was not happy with the "painted" prices. I decided I could probably save a few dollars if I painted them myself, so I ordered them in black, and headed to the paint store.

I got everything in a rattle can, and got a few pointers on prep and such. The new parts only needed a wash in warm soapy water, and the original radiator cover needed some light sanding on the scratches, a degreasing, and a wash. I had to modify all but one wing. The driver side wing was good, the sriver side brake reservoir cover needed a little trim for the hood strut. The passenger side wing needed a little trim for the KB intake, and the passenger side battery cover needed both hood strut and throttle body modifications.

Painting went OK.. I wanted it done that night so I went a little fast. I was told to put the adhesion promotor on with 2 medium wet coats, but medium wet resulted in a little pooling in the nooks and crevices of the panels, particularly the radiator wings, so I spent a little time cleaning that up, and figured the paint and clear would cover the minor flaws I got from that. The plastic has a slight texture, and I knew that would come through a little, and I was right. Unless I built up some primer coatings it was not going to be body smooth. The color went on great, and I did 4 coats, fairly dry. Then I did 6 coats of clear. That is where I screwed up. The last 2 coats I did pretty wet. I was trying to avoid too much buffing and sanding, so I was going as wet as I thought it could handle. I got too wet on the brake reservoir cover though, and it sagged all the way around the edge, taking the paint with it. It will have to be sanded and redone, but I had to put it on today anyway, just to see the finished results.

Then I made another mistake.. I figured the rad cover and wings could set in place over night and in the morning I could fasten them. I carefully placed the rad cover and then went to do a wing. It fits tight around the back of the rad bracket, so I went to push down, forgetting the paint was still very soft, and put 4 clearly defined finger prints all the way into the paint. The metallic paint does NOT react well to being moved around, and it looks like crap. I smoothed it out and hit it with a couple more coats of clear to get the fingerprint texture out, but it is still needing to be redone as well. That one will be easy, it's just the flat surface that needs fixing. Sand, prep, and paint and it will be good to go. The other part is all on the curves, much more work. Anyway, here is the before and after.. before shot was a different angle, but you can see the improvement. The after shot was taken in sunlight too, so the differences in texture really show up with the metallic paint.. in real life they all match pretty close. I think I will carry my race stripes up the rad cover next, and maybe get a new KB intake tube and sand it down and paint it too.. Strut tower covers are on the way still.. hopefully have them next week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
This week has been fun, and although I am walking a little funny from the sore muscles, I think some real improvements have been made. I got my suspension parts in on Tuesday, and that evening I put the LCA's (J&M) the relocation brackets (CHE), and the panhard bar (J&M) in. The LCA's were a cakewalk.. it was more work to clean the grease off my hands than to put them in. The only thing that had me surprised was that there were no grease fittings on any of the parts.. all poly ends..
did you hand grease the bushings?

The relocation brackets were beefy and nicely done. However, the driver side was a little tight, but after a little coaxing with a clamp, they slid on and bolted in beautifully. The passenger side was a bugger, it was welded slightly off, so one bolt hole didn't line up quite right, and I ended up using a die grinder to open it up about a millimeter.
Had the same issue with mine on the drivers side. Passenger side went right in.
It's a convertible, so it already has a factory K brace, and I think a couple holes will need to be drilled to get the CHE K brace installed so the torque limiters can go on. I didn't want to do that with the holes a half inch from my face.
That factory brace should come off.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you hand grease the bushings?
Yup.. that grease is sticky! I was "liberal" with the grease too..

Had the same issue with mine on the drivers side. Passenger side went right in.
That factory brace should come off.
The directions say that some model years require a couple holes to be drilled after the factory brace comes off.. I didn't even attempt the install, so I don't know if it will be necessary.. The factory brace has 2 bolts on each side, so I am sure at least one set of holes will line up with the new brace, but it is a 4 point brace, I couldn't tell if there were holes for the other 2 bolt locations. My car is lowered with a body kit, and even on jack stands it only sits about 10" off the ground.. that's as high as I can get it without using wood blocks, and after looking at it, I just don't feel like attempting it without a lift.. And I was tired and beat down after doing the other parts - Torquing bolts to 129 lb-ft is a ***** when you don't have the leverage.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
It's going to be much smoother on a lift. I'm pretty sure that brace will bolt in with no modifications.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have on 07 vert and my CHE K-memebr brace went on with no issues, i DID do it on a lift and the orig brace get tossed.

Mods looks great!! Your KB looks very sexy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.