Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What valve covers would you recommend for a 3V SOHC and how hard are they to install?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
i honestly am thinking of just taking them out, having them powdercoated and re-installing them. I hear it takes about 1 1/2 hours to get them out and thats with taking your time. but don't quote me. It doesn't seem too hard, just 16 bolts of something like that. just a ton of wires and stuff in the way...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The question for me is when valve covers from mmr cost $199 it seems like having the heads powdercoated wouldnt be cheap enough to justify not replacing them.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It doesn't take 1.5 hours. They aren't hard to get out, but you need to take your time if you have them coated/painted because they are very easy to scratch up.

Powdercoating:
Upside: You can get the exact color that you want.
Downside: Car is down for awile while you wait.

Buying pre-coated:
Upside: Minimal downtime.
Downside: Limited color selection.

They aren't that difficult to remove. A simple socket set with an universal socket will get them off in no time. Remove the battery for the passenger side to get it out easier.

If downtime was an issue, I'd just get pre-painted ones. They are roughly the same price as taking them to someone locally and you won't have the downtime.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Best option: Buy a used set, paint them yourself... switch out the two! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
202 Posts
I found a set of the Ford Blue covers for $225. I figure the classic blue will look good with the Windvail Blue color of the car. I could not find plain ones cheap enough to make it worth buying them and having them poder coated. I guess i can take my stock ones and mabe poder coat them the same color as the car which might look interesting.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.