Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Testing a new thread. Bear w/me since it hasn't been working :shrug

OK editing now...Read below

Heads up modders , 6 local dealers, 2 of which are SVT dealers , I asked to bring in my wheels to check the oil sending unit . None will look at my car because it's supercharged. All I mentioned via phone is the car is saleen supercharged so for all they know it could be a Saleen car. Still no dice. Pretty Lame !

What if a non drivetrain item is defective like an AC compressor, will they refuse to warranty it ??

Knew going into the Mods that the warranty was going to suffer , but damn , 9 month old car w/800 miles I expected a bit more from the Blue Oval Gang :sterb:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah I agree, that's pretty lame. I think they should at least take a look at your car before telling you that they won't cover it. If the problem isn't directly linked to the mod, they should honor the warranty. Ford knows that over half the people who are buying the new Mustang will be modding it, that's part of it's popularity. In Ford's defense, I can see where they don't want to warranty an engine that's been modified to produce 100 more HP than stock. But if you do something that extreme, you shouldn't expect them to. I plan on talking to my local dealers before putting something like a supercharger on. Good luck.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Likely their thinking is that their mechanics won't know where to look for the sending unit on anything other than what they have been used to seeing day in and day out. Anything that requires independant thought..... "gone"

·
Registered
579 Posts
I see it a different way. I would not give a warranty on any car that has been modified and changes the character of the car sold. Manufactures spend millions getting certain engine and vehicles to pass all these crazy emission and saferty rules then you change one thing that some how could get them in a legal battle with you because your new car did not pass emissions or in a accident and one of the safety products did not function correctly. You could wait till the 36 months is up then modify and then the dealer is not a issue or leave the car alone and enjoy the benefits of a new car.

·
Registered
785 Posts
speedytang said:
I see it a different way. I would not give a warranty on any car that has been modified and changes the character of the car sold. Manufactures spend millions getting certain engine and vehicles to pass all these crazy emission and saferty rules then you change one thing that some how could get them in a legal battle with you because your new car did not pass emissions or in a accident and one of the safety products did not function correctly. You could wait till the 36 months is up then modify and then the dealer is not a issue or leave the car alone and enjoy the benefits of a new car.
I have seen this argument in another thread in this forum. It is true that dealerships will try to squirm their way out of warranty service because of a distant modification to the problem. In a legal battle, one would have to prove that the modifications have not effected the problem at hand. It is a delicate subject when modifying a brand new car with little past history on performance.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The service managers are just taking the easy route and avoiding the arguement that will eventually ensue when they tell you, sorry warranty void.

Pay up!

I'm sure you knew what you were getting into, and if you had the dough for all the toys ASAP. You should have some set asside for tuning and techs.

·
Registered
599 Posts
This thread pretty much makes up my mind on the kenne bell......:sosad:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no problem paying for drivetrain related issues due to any Mods but you know if you have like a rear view mirror defect or a door handle sticking, it's absurd that dealers wouldn't cover it under warranty cause you added a supercharger. In this case I've seen a few posts about potentially bad oil sending units & just wanted it 'looked at' that's all. It's a principle thing.

The car is free rolling advertising for Ford. Literally dozens of car fans took pictures of it at various shows.
Not that this entitles me to anything special but you know sometimes you expect good business practice. For what it's worth not one service dept asked any questions about the car. What are they going to tell Shelby owners. Uh :dunce: , we don't look @ supercharged cars LOL .

Anyway like I said previously..I expected issues going into the mods but no way I was sitting around for 3 years waiting for the warranty to expire before touching the car. Funny thing is the dealers that do shows always ask me to bring the car in :scream:

This is not a big deal for me however bottom line is if it's a warranty issue not related to Mods it should be covered. If dealers don't even bother to look at the car, just means my service goes somewhere else & future purchases go elsewhere as well maybe even to other mfgs AKA Hemi Challenger or Z06 Vette :winks .

PS - there was a thread a while back on SEMA Mfgs & Warranty rights with respect to mods if anyone can dig it up might help a few others. The S/C is well worth it & the car drives like a totally different ride & I would do it all again ...same way :wavey

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm not saying they shouldn't/won't cover that stuff. They're just not wanting to deal with it period. Most have seen huge warranty arguments one to many times.

Personally I'd just take it in and not mention the blower. Mark the box that says call if charge above X amount.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
speedytang said:
Emissions aside. Mfg's also cut corners on allot of areas. For instance 304 high alloy stainless exhaust is a much better material than 409 stainless . Big Brembo Style Rotors w/Dual piston calipers properly set up would significantly improve braking performance & fade. How about simple changes like a rear view mirror w/homelink , compass & thermometer. Side mirrors w/turn signals. I could go on. Many current mods are not much different than what the SVT/Shelby versions provide.

Geesh the ealy stangs were like tin cans compared to the S197 platform & I've never heard of safety as a big concern of owners of those cars let alone this car with a frame quadruple in thickness, side impact beams, Air bags all around , anti lock brakes, Etc etc etc :eyebulge:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vandil said:
I'm not saying they shouldn't/won't cover that stuff. They're just not wanting to deal with it period. Most have seen huge warranty arguments one to many times.

Personally I'd just take it in and not mention the blower. Mark the box that says call if charge above X amount.
Yeah no doubt, next time that's what I'll do , chances are their wrench turners wouldn't even notice. :sleeping: Don't the dealers get paid/re-imbursed for warranty jobs ?
You'd think they'd want the work. :confused:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I had a problem with a faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It didn't start acting up until I hooked my Zex Nitrous Kit up to it. The dealership replace the TPS under the TBS for it while the Zex kit was completely in plain sight, still tapped into the TPS... I still have the big number on the windshield from the track...The service writer even commented on the helmet in the back seat.. TPS was replaced... free of charge... All dealership are different... Luckily the one by my house is great! LOL!

·
Registered
191 Posts
i agree it is b.s. and what i would do is just show up where you bought it and try and get your salesman or someone youv'e delt with to get you in with the guys in the shop....most of them are gear heads like us....i have 2 guys that both have blown older cobras and as long as your cool to them they allways seem to help...again if it is a related part to what you have changed they don't have to help but most will as long as they are not committing fraud or they could get into serious trouble with ford and there owners......there are jerks at every dealership that want to take the easy way out......the thing is to find someone you can trust to be fair.....:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
05 Airbag Sensor Problems

Hello does anyone know of anyone out there having the same problem I am having with my 05 Saleen. The airbag sensor light stays on and the airbag isn't operable??? Help:sosad:

·
Registered
708 Posts
roboz said:
Yeah no doubt, next time that's what I'll do , chances are their wrench turners wouldn't even notice. :sleeping: Don't the dealers get paid/re-imbursed for warranty jobs ?
You'd think they'd want the work. :confused:
It's pretty much the service managers call. It's not a huge amount of business to most places. Once you're there, it's harder for them to say No to anything.

The Al Bundy's of the world just say Nope not gonna deal with dat one. Next!

·
Registered
324 Posts
roboz, do some research. Specifically look up the Magnuson Moss Act.

In a nutshell, they can't void the warranty on your entire car if you add a supercharger to the engine. They have to prove whatever part you added is what caused the part to break.

roboz said:
I have no problem paying for drivetrain related issues due to any Mods but you know if you have like a rear view mirror defect or a door handle sticking, it's absurd that dealers wouldn't cover it under warranty cause you added a supercharger. In this case I've seen a few posts about potentially bad oil sending units & just wanted it 'looked at' that's all. It's a principle thing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Fleg said:

In a nutshell, they can't void the warranty on your entire car if you add a supercharger to the engine. They have to prove whatever part you added is what caused the part to break.
ditto.......

·
Registered
273 Posts
Fleg said:

Thank you Fleg.....thats exactly what i was told it was too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fleg said:

Dude thanks ! Nice to have that ammo handy just in case :smoke: SEMA mfgs must have paid allot of lobbyists to pass that bill LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.