Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any hi-fi gurus out there got some free advice?
looking for ideas on repacing the stereo in my stang. wiring schematics and model #s would be greatly appreciated.

it currently has a cheesy clarion cassette deck from the 80s, though it did fit in there without cutting up the dash (thank God). i'll be needing speakers, amp, and the whole 9 yards. there is currently no console in the car, but i am considering buying/fabricating one.

since its a convertible, it'll need to get reasonably loud when riding down the interstate with the top down, but without distortion.
of course, i'd like to keep the cost down to a reasonable amount.

i definitly want to be able to play mp3s from a usb, and i do NOT want to run high current thru my old ass wiring. i'm guessing there is a way to run the power thru new wires, and use the original wires just to switch it on and off. the finished product needs be clean looking with the trunk open, and not take up too much trunk space, so any clever mounting techniques etc..lay'em on me. i have never built a sound system before.

another thing i was thinking about is theft. is it possible to mount everything in the trunk, and operate it with a wireless remote? or possibly a model with a remotly mounted display like some of the satelite radios i have seen? (then i can put a radio delete plate on the dash with some extra guages)

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
well, someone's got to say it so it might as well be me. If you want to maintain a sharp, classic look, Custom Auto Sound radios and systems are capable of everything you've described here (the USA 66 comes to mind).

Disadvantages of Custom Auto Sound radios are they are a little pricey, and when you touch them they feel super cheap.

Advantages are they look like an original radio in your car, only with veiled modern digital features. If you go to a car show, if the cars don't have the original radio in them, most of them are going to have a Custom Auto Sound unit. I have one myself in my 78 LTD II, and will be getting one I can run my ipod through for my 67 Mustang.

Look through the Custom Auto Sound catalog online and see all your options.

·
Registered
494 Posts
well, someone's got to say it so it might as well be me. If you want to maintain a sharp, classic look, Custom Auto Sound radios and systems are capable of everything you've described here (the USA 66 comes to mind).

Disadvantages of Custom Auto Sound radios are they are a little pricey, and when you touch them they feel super cheap.

Advantages are they look like an original radio in your car, only with veiled modern digital features. If you go to a car show, if the cars don't have the original radio in them, most of them are going to have a Custom Auto Sound unit. I have one myself in my 78 LTD II, and will be getting one I can run my ipod through for my 67 Mustang.

Look through the Custom Auto Sound catalog online and see all your options.
I agree with Lizer, but I went with the Custom Auto Sound Secret Audio. You can hide it and use a remote and leave the cheese Clarion showing so no one will want to cut up your convertible top. The secret audio can play using an ipod and a several of the places such as Mustangs Plus offer an amplifier and larger speakers that bolt into the rear trunk. There is also a 6 or 10 disc CD player available. If you really want the stereo equipment to be top rate try OnLineCarStereo.com.:worship

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
go to Sound Move if you want to get Custom Auto Sound gear. You can also buy kicker panels for the fronts from them that already have pioneer speakers mounted in them, so you just swap them in place of your current kicker panels.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, good stuff...

a couple of people were telling me that custom auto sound stuff was kind of crappy. how would you rate the sound quality etc? do they get good reception, like if you are riding out in the boonies? does it get distorted if the volume is cranked up?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
like I was saying, the quality of the units feel super cheap; the volume knobs are a real cheap plastic and they don't even feel tight when you turn them. They're pretty shady in those regards.

I didn't listen to the radio much in mine; I had a cd changer going into it I used. Sound quality-wise, I didn't hear anything that perturbed me. I was running Rockford Fosgates in my car that has the CAS head unit and it actually sounded pretty good and crisp. They look good. It's just when you have to touch them.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm planning on swapping mine out in the summer and I'm just going for a whole new set up. The audio stuff that's repro but modern sounds like a good idea, but I decided to just put a whole modern set up in there. (I'm saving the original radio in case I need to sell her later)

I bought an original bezel that someone had cut for a CD player and getting a fully modern radio, with the MP3 and iPod set ups.

Here's the thing: If you want to enjoy the music, enjoy the fun and enjoy the car for the car, buy a good set up that's modern, wire the crap out of it and have it all work. If you want this to look original and such, sacrifice the quality and go with the classic remodel.

My two cents.

Doc

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They look good. It's just when you have to touch them.
lol! sounds kind of creepy lizer! have you tried wearing gloves? :kooky:

doc is talking sense...its all about having some fun. besides, i'm doing a restomod anyway.

alot of times, i leave it parked with the top down, and thats just asking to get ripped-off. so...the more i think about it, the more i'm inclined towards a trunk mounted system with an amp, speakers, and remote controlled head unit. i figure i can hide the remote under the seat or between the seat and hump.

do you guys think a wireless remote signal will reach into the trunk? (theres alot more choices with wireless) or would it have to have a wired remote?
pyle makes marine radio similar to the autosound secret audio, but with even more features, and for half the price (model XLW8ICDSAT made in the u.s.a.) have any of y'all heard of Pyle ? i wonder if they are any good?

another thing i need to figure out is power requirments.... i have a stock alternator out of a '93 gt. i wonder how many amps that puts out? 90 maybe? And... what size amp should/could i get to avoid having problems.

my budget will be less than $500.

·
Registered
494 Posts
lol! sounds kind of creepy lizer! have you tried wearing gloves? :kooky:

doc is talking sense...its all about having some fun. besides, i'm doing a restomod anyway.

alot of times, i leave it parked with the top down, and thats just asking to get ripped-off. so...the more i think about it, the more i'm inclined towards a trunk mounted system with an amp, speakers, and remote controlled head unit. i figure i can hide the remote under the seat or between the seat and hump.

do you guys think a wireless remote signal will reach into the trunk? (theres alot more choices with wireless) or would it have to have a wired remote?
pyle makes marine radio similar to the autosound secret audio, but with even more features, and for half the price (model XLW8ICDSAT made in the u.s.a.) have any of y'all heard of Pyle ? i wonder if they are any good?

another thing i need to figure out is power requirments.... i have a stock alternator out of a '93 gt. i wonder how many amps that puts out? 90 maybe? And... what size amp should/could i get to avoid having problems.

my budget will be less than $500.
I have a pyle-driver tube and amp that is one piece in my toyhauler and I'm real happy with the sound. In fact, I had to turn it down-way down or it would rattle everything inside. As far as stereos in my car, I'm real happy with my Secret Audio. The head unit is mounted on the side of my center console where I have access to it and the unit is mounted in the glove compartment. The ONLY problem is my pipes are so loud I really have to blast it. :laughlitt I need to step up and order the subwoofer system Mustang Plus offers that goes in the trunk. Too many toys and not enough money, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ONLY problem is my pipes are so loud I really have to blast it. :laughlitt .....Too many toys and not enough money, if you know what I mean.

ha! i know EXACTLY what you mean bubbamace!
between this mustang, my harleys, boat, 4wheel drive, and pick-up,...i can barely afford to pay attention!

i feel ya on the pipes too...i have 2 1/2" flowmaster 40s, and a thin piece of fabric for a roof.... so i'll be needing a stout sound system.

but not as stout as your toyhauler setup!

how many watts is that setup anyway? i want to avoid overkill, just in case my charging system can't hang.
i'm thinking as long as i can hear it good over the pipes w/the top down at 70, and the volume knob @ 50%,...that should be enough.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the clone (old looking) stereo mounted in mine and though it looks right I have been a little dissappointed. I can adjust treble and bass but no adjustment for midtones (no built in equilizer). This means I had to get the speakers right (and didn't). The tweeters were so bright that I could hear every vocalist spitting into their microphone and every cymbal crash went through me like a saw blade. Once I got the balance right I can now boost the volume and have the bass and treble within adjustable limits. Another observation: I have to constantly adjust the volume and bass/treble balance as engine and road noise change significantly with speed. I don't think there is anything that can be done about it. The joys of an old, loud but fun hobby;-)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I'm putting a moderately nice system in mine (I'm also a professional soundguy so I'm entitled to it :) ) but one of the joys I love about driving an old car is listening to the engine and the exhaust work in sexy harmony. So music is only secondary.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the clone (old looking) stereo mounted in mine and though it looks right I have been a little dissappointed. I can adjust treble and bass but no adjustment for midtones (no built in equilizer). This means I had to get the speakers right (and didn't). The tweeters were so bright that I could hear every vocalist spitting into their microphone and every cymbal crash went through me like a saw blade. Once I got the balance right I can now boost the volume and have the bass and treble within adjustable limits. Another observation: I have to constantly adjust the volume and bass/treble balance as engine and road noise change significantly with speed. I don't think there is anything that can be done about it. The joys of an old, loud but fun hobby;-)
thanks for the input. thats exactly the kind of thing i'm trying to avoid here.

what brand is that anyway?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
thanks for the input. thats exactly the kind of thing i'm trying to avoid here.

what brand is that anyway?
this can be a problem, but only if you have your highs cranked. Making a simple adjustment on the highs or lows easily fix this. Most car radios I have ever seen only have adjustments for high and low. I have a CAS radio too, so I know what he's talking about, but anything can be grating if it's set to the extreme.

·
Registered
494 Posts
ha! i know EXACTLY what you mean bubbamace!
between this mustang, my harleys, boat, 4wheel drive, and pick-up,...i can barely afford to pay attention!

i feel ya on the pipes too...i have 2 1/2" flowmaster 40s, and a thin piece of fabric for a roof.... so i'll be needing a stout sound system.

but not as stout as your toyhauler setup!

how many watts is that setup anyway? i want to avoid overkill, just in case my charging system can't hang.
i'm thinking as long as i can hear it good over the pipes w/the top down at 70, and the volume knob @ 50%,...that should be enough.
My system is small, only 500 watts, but its great for camping. Don't want to disturb the animals in the forest:rollgrin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm putting a moderately nice system in mine (I'm also a professional soundguy so I'm entitled to it :) ) but one of the joys I love about driving an old car is listening to the engine and the exhaust work in sexy harmony. So music is only secondary.
gotta agree with you there! theres nothing like the sound of a good running v8.

i wasn't aware that you were a pro...let me pick your brain....

when i go to mount this stuff in the trunk, i'll have to fabricate a piece of pywood or somthing to mount it to right? any pointers? and when i mount the speakers, does it make a difference which way they are pointed? (magnets toward the trunk vs. passenger compartment) how big of an amp if i get 400watt speakers?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My system is small, only 500 watts, but its great for camping. Don't want to disturb the animals in the forest:rollgrin:

in the toyhauler right?

500watts will rattle **** off the walls?

i've been looking at amps in the 2000watt range (4x120w rms / 4x500w peak).... is that what you have? or 500watts all together?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts