Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 v6 mustang manual. I get that the v8 is faster and all and if I bought this car for racing, I should have gone with the v8 but I'm a college student and this v6 is my first car. I ordered an SCT tuner and looking to get a cold air intake. What other mods should I add after for more Horse Power.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
there are tons of things you can spend money on, but none of them will make a huge difference, except a supercharger

I'd suggest you think about what makes you happiest and focus there; appearance and handling mods might be more satisfying

to get an idea of what other people are doing, scan through the threads in the V6 forum (266) 2011 - 2014 V6 Mustang Tech | Ford Mustang Forum (allfordmustangs.com)

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Super Moderator
4,228 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.

We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
yes 2010 had the 4.0 V6 which is mostly the same as prior years, but I suspect there are some small differences, like the 2010 4.6 V8 is very similar to earlier years with some minor differences

most of that kit will probably work in a 2010 V6 but there might be some minor issues due to those minor differences (not sure exactly what they are)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ryan.
At least you have a manual trans. The 4.0L is a good reliable engine though. My 4.0L went for 272k miles before it blew a head gasket. Being your first car it doesn't have to be a GT and when you're in your late teens/early 20s $ is usually hard to come by.
Like JBert said not much of anything else will make a very impactful difference unless you supercharge it or turbocharge it but at that cost you could own a GT so don't bother giving that any thought. The tuner is probably the best $ spent on a NA(naturally aspirated) v6 Mustang for power but I don't recommend chasing 1 or 2 HP here and there as it will drain your wallet and net you very little overall in the end. I would concentrate more on suspension, interior, audio, or accessories if you really feel like sinking $ into it. Upon resale people will be less put off if the powertrain is stock or nearly so. However, a slightly lowered Mustang will be more attractive to most.
Ventsvisors are a great addition and cheap.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I have a 2010 v6 mustang manual. I get that the v8 is faster and all and if I bought this car for racing, I should have gone with the v8 but I'm a college student and this v6 is my first car. I ordered an SCT tuner and looking to get a cold air intake. What other mods should I add after for more Horse Power.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan, my advice would be just to get the tuner alone with a custom 91 octane tune. Your stock airbox already flows enough air for the 4.0 V6 and a CAI would add minimal if any HP gain.
You could change the rear muffler to improve the sound and make the driving experience more satisfying, and add underdrive pulleys. They deliver a decent HP gain and look stealth under the hood. I wouldn't go beyond those performance mods on a V6 or sink much money into it in general except to improve its appearance and make it more enjoyable to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts