Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished installing and started up for the first time this weekend the following

Ford Racing longblock M-6007-X302
93 Cobra intake
65mm throttle body
80mm MAF
255 ltr fuel pump
509 short headers w/ 2.5 inch dual exaust minus catalyc converters
36 lb injectors

engine minus smog pump and egr

stock computer / pcm / fuel regulator

I intend to install Vortech 8-10 lb supercharger when $ allows, want to be able to drive it until then.

Started it and ran for a few minuites very rough idle and hard to time and noticed headers turning cherry red. Could really smell gas bad in the exaust. shut down immediately. I want to dyno tune it but can I? do I need an ecu unit up grade, get a tweecer or what? FMU? I know my fuel delivery system is massive for naturally aspirated but I'm trying to find a fix until I can afford $4 K for the supercharger. Any advice is appreciated... and yes this is a 94 GT body

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
fuel pressure should be at 38# and timing somwhere 10-16*. Those inj are too big you will need a tune to control them. Or just use a 24# set until its sc time.

J

·
0 Posts
You have to match your injectors the your MAF calibration, you don't necessarily need a tune yet (though it would take care of the problem as well as other problems from the larger injectors (cranking pulsewidth and inaccurate load readings) that the recalibrated MAF might cause). You can a) Get a calibrated MAF for your injectors (or return to your stock injectors) b) Get a professional tune c) Get a Tweecer or Moates Quarterhorse (which is what I have, cheap, better in many ways than Tweecer, love it). There are threads you can find on the forum that discuss the pros and cons of available tuners.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'd have that motor check out before you do anythng else to it!
If your headers are turning cherry red you have a good chance that you just warped a head, fryed some pistons, ect!

Your injectors are to big first of all, drop it down to #24's.
Also I'd look into that crank you have in the motor. That's a cast crank not a forged so becarful with that blower!.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i agree with the above comments, your headers are glowing red due to half ignited fuel and a very very rich fuel system, get the system up to par before you dyno or drive it

R

·
0 Posts
stock computer is not playing nice with the cam get it tuned .....

problem solved.....

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well you are running way too rich as those injectors are to big for a mild bolt on 302. Also what type of pistons come in that crate engine as I though they are forged but what type or what type of metal?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Drop the injector size until you get the supercharger on. At the moment, it's massively rich like you put a huge 850 double pumper on it with 88 jets. The glowing is the unburned fuel burning up inside the header tubes.

Ditch the stock regulator too, you need to be able to adjust the pressure. The stock 39 psi setting is just a guideline, it's not set in stone for every engine. If you want to keep those 36s on there, you need to back the pressure down to 30-32 and even then they'll still be too much for it and even after you get the blower, you'll need to adjust the pressure even then.

Do you want to deal with it being pig rich until you add the boost, or do you want it to run right until then? It'll run but be super rich so you'll have to stay on top of making sure your plugs aren't being carbon fouled.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
check your timing, i bet its too low. :bigthumbsup
Exactly! Retarded timing can have the combustion flame going right out the exhaust stroke. Red headers is what you wind up with. You can have this symptom with 19lb injectors.

So I would advance the timing to see if it will go away.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just finished installing and started up for the first time this weekend the following

Ford Racing longblock M-6007-X302
93 Cobra intake
65mm throttle body
80mm MAF
255 ltr fuel pump
509 short headers w/ 2.5 inch dual exaust minus catalyc converters
36 lb injectors

engine minus smog pump and egr

stock computer / pcm / fuel regulator

I intend to install Vortech 8-10 lb supercharger when $ allows, want to be able to drive it until then.

Started it and ran for a few minuites very rough idle and hard to time and noticed headers turning cherry red. Could really smell gas bad in the exaust. shut down immediately. I want to dyno tune it but can I? do I need an ecu unit up grade, get a tweecer or what? FMU? I know my fuel delivery system is massive for naturally aspirated but I'm trying to find a fix until I can afford $4 K for the supercharger. Any advice is appreciated... and yes this is a 94 GT body

ill sell you a vortech s-trim kit for a 1/4 of 4k man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts