Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the heads im using are seccond hand off a 02 motor, sooo i wanna make em shinnny again, especially all the valves and combustion chamber. Ill add up a pic, but in one of the heads i have one valve at the very end open about 1/4 inch, does this means its stuck or ddo some jus randomly stay open depending on the shut down time of the motor?

..question 2, the valves in the windstar heads are all concave. Like a bowl. Yet in my mustang there all flat....to my understanding flat was more power tthen concave? If so, can i jus pull the mustang valves and use them in the windstar? Appreciate it guys, im actually in the shed as we speak scrubbin these buggers down, any labour time cut down would be appreciated haha

Attachments

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
If it were me I would take them to a trustworthy machine shop. Hot tank cleaning is cheap. So is surfacing. You want a nice surface for the MLS gaskets to seal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
U know what that sounds good lol theres a classic machine shop here i jus took all the valves outso ill see how much they charge tomorrow, and the valve i thought was stuck, got a nice bend in it so yea theres my problem on that one...but..can i take one out of my 94 heads? Better yet, can i swap all the valves from 94 to the windstar heads, i really dont like how the valves on the windstar are so concave, really want the flat ones on the 94...whats youre thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
eh if i remember correctly the 94 valves and the split port valves are different sizes, as in the 94's are a tad smaller

i agree with the cleaning and resurfacing to ensure the best possible seal

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice guys the local shop here said pretty much the exact same thing today lol, said he got lots of the valves around he'll hook me up with one...he really took his time n described the details of the differences between my 94 and 02 heads in the combustion chamber, showed me major points for me to do my p&p. Sounds like this is gunna be a pretty nice job when its all done :bigthumbsup

He said the metal layered gasket for the windstar heads tho are a lil touchy n hard to get a good seal if ur not carefull, he said he'd use the outher style gasket for it, even tho its thicker n everything im doin with shaving n whatnot would be wasted? He did say u could get a can of some sealer from NAPA n do it that way?any idea on that one bud?

Srry for so much but do it really matter to keep all my valves and springs and rockers in ordered from left to right and what cylender they came from?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Machine shop can clean things well yes. B12 or carb cleaner can clean things pretty damn good too.

As far as what your doing here, I would use whatever valves your supposed to use with your engine. To long can makes things break, to short and suck power away.

And im confused as to whats sticking ... if heads are off, all valves should be closed ....

My 04 valves are concave. And the 07 4.2 were as well.

Though I dont see the shape of the underside making much of a difference ? At all ...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Great advice guys the local shop here said pretty much the exact same thing today lol, said he got lots of the valves around he'll hook me up with one...he really took his time n described the details of the differences between my 94 and 02 heads in the combustion chamber, showed me major points for me to do my p&p. Sounds like this is gunna be a pretty nice job when its all done :bigthumbsup

He said the metal layered gasket for the windstar heads tho are a lil touchy n hard to get a good seal if ur not carefull, he said he'd use the outher style gasket for it, even tho its thicker n everything im doin with shaving n whatnot would be wasted? He did say u could get a can of some sealer from NAPA n do it that way?any idea on that one bud?

Srry for so much but do it really matter to keep all my valves and springs and rockers in ordered from left to right and what cylender they came from?

Get some Ford MLS gaskets and put them on as your Chilton's says.
Dont put a damn thing on the gaskets !!!
Just replaced mine 6 months later from doing that **** ...

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Machine shop can clean things well yes. B12 or carb cleaner can clean things pretty damn good too.

As far as what your doing here, I would use whatever valves your supposed to use with your engine. To long can makes things break, to short and suck power away.

And im confused as to whats sticking ... if heads are off, all valves should be closed ....

My 04 valves are concave. And the 07 4.2 were as well.

Though I dont see the shape of the underside making much of a difference ? At all ...
a teeny tiny microscopic change in compression resulting from smaller combustion chamber

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
The sealer is only for composite gaskets, not MLS.

The old gaskets were **** and always blew. Ford switched for a reason. Not to mention idk if the coolant would flow right with an old gasket on a new head.

MLS are touchy, that's why I said get the heads surfaced. Don't use a wire wheel on your block. You should be safe with a rolloc scotch brute pad on low speed but I'd ask your machinist.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Well your also not putting in a teeny tiny microscopic amount of air in there ...
that doesn't really matter actually.. compression ratio still increases.. this isn't really a big deal.. but i'll just tell you a little something about compression ratio if you (or anyone else who reads this) don't already know it..

say i were to find a set of high compression heads for my v6.. what makes them high compression?.. they would have a smaller combustion chamber (same concept as above with the valve shape/volume change except scaled up)..
compression ratio is the volume of the cylinder including the combustion chamber when piston is at bottom of the stroke over the volume of just the combustion chamber(volume when piston is at top).

pretend one cylinder is 100 cubic inches stock(yes we're imagining a very large engine lol) including a 10 CI combustion chamber so its 100/10 or a 10.0:1 compression ratio.. pretend high compression heads had a combustion chamber of 8 CI.. so your total cylinder(w/ combustion chamber) is 98 cubic inches.. so its 98/8 which is 12.25:1
make sense?

·
Registered
593 Posts
that doesn't really matter actually.. compression ratio still increases.. this isn't really a big deal.. but i'll just tell you a little something about compression ratio if you (or anyone else who reads this) don't already know it..

say i were to find a set of high compression heads for my v6.. what makes them high compression?.. they would have a smaller combustion chamber (same concept as above with the valve shape/volume change except scaled up)..
compression ratio is the volume of the cylinder including the combustion chamber when piston is at bottom of the stroke over the volume of just the combustion chamber(volume when piston is at top).

pretend one cylinder is 100 cubic inches stock(yes we're imagining a very large engine lol) including a 10 CI combustion chamber so its 100/10 or a 10.0:1 compression ratio.. pretend high compression heads had a combustion chamber of 8 CI.. so your total cylinder(w/ combustion chamber) is 98 cubic inches.. so its 98/8 which is 12.25:1
make sense?

I wanted so much to troll this excellent example. Does that make me a bad person?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I wanted so much to troll this excellent example. Does that make me a bad person?
was something i said wrong?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts