Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to modify or cut off the outside edges of the forward edge of the lowest hanging part of the debris or skid pan behind the spoiler to get added height to clear some ramps. The rubber part hangs down about two inches lower then the lowest part of the fascia. Can anyone forsee any down side to taking some of this lower two inch section off? The lower section in front of the front tires will impact which ramp I purchase as it increases the angle needed to go up a ramp. If I cut the lower inch or two in front of the tires then I can get by with more incline and save some money on the type of ramps. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Can't help with that as I don't have my car yet... but if you do, make sure to take plenty of pics and post your results here for the rest of us to learn from!

Good luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would be an easy job as it is rubber and you could take it off with a box cutter or dremmel. However, the dremmel may smell cutting through hard rubber. Just wondering if it does anything positive. I know it may stop a few rocks and other debris but if it does knock them down, the tires will still run over it so can't see a real need for it but then I am new to this...Again, it will just need to be trimmed in front of the tires which is about seven or so inches on each side.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would say that if Ford could save a nickel on any part that they put on a car they would choose to do it. It must be there for a reason. Use some 2x4's before the ramps to help with the incline.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I'm not so sure you'd really want to do that... the horrible noise that crazy flap makes saved me from damaging my car the very first night I had it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that it may save some hassle so I went with some Race Ramps with a variable incline. It will handle even lowering my front fascia 3" off the ground. Found them through Reverse Logic who makes a lot of custom parts for BMW, Porsche and MB. They also sell custom race ramps and the customer service was unbelievable. The owner ran several computer simulations to make sure that it would work without hitting the rubber hang down section on the debris dam. The ramps start out at under 7% grade and end up at over 10%. They are two part so you can remove the rear section to get under the car without working around a long ramp. They will raise the car 8" and will hold 3000 lbs. , will not slide and weigh about 10 lbs. There are cheaper ramps, but with these I know they will work well, are safe and I will not say" I wish I had".

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Why don't you just get an inch body lift and 22's?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've been eying a set of those for a while. Post some pictures with the car on it and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ramps should be delivered in a day or two and will post pics at to clearance and ease of use. You can see the various Race Ramps at their site or go to the Reverse Logic site and go to ramps. You can do better in price at Reverse Logic and as I said, the customer service is great...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
When you get the Race Ramps you won't be disappointed. I've had mine and used them to install the boss splitter. I got the 67" long version if i remember correctly. A little pricey, but a great product!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sept 1 flood

Was not sure about clearance so got the 72" variable incline just in case. If I lower the vehicle then the hang down from the debris guard could scrape and wanted to option to handle lower cars. As you said, pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for and have seen these in use and they are a great product that never slips and works great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chuck,
How'd the ramps work? Looking at buying them from the same
Place. My car has steeda sport springs so I was leaning
toward the 87" with built in extenders.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are great

Got caught up and forgot to get back and post. The ramps are fantastic and work great without any concerns. I got the longer progressive incline ramps due to any fear especially if I lower in the future. I can't say enough about the ramps and the service from the vendor Reverse Logic. They are pricey but well made and have had numerous comments from folks who have seen them in use. They are every light and strong. The two piece are great for removing the rear part and getting under the car right in back of the front wheels. Again, can't say enough about them. You can buy cheaper or make your own but you won't have a produce as light, strong or serviceable. I winced when I paid for them but have never been sorry for the purchase. In retrospect, I might have gone for the heavy duty so I could put most any truck on them for not a whole lot more but my truck is high enough that it is not really an issue. Anyway, if you have any questions about if the ramps will clear on what car, the vendor will put measurements in his program and let you know if you will have any problems with clearance. Again, a great product.....You can PM me for any other questions or feel free to contact the vendor as his service is great....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One more item

You might be able to get by with the 72" progressive. I did with no concerns. You can get with the vendor as I said and he will take your measurements and let you know for sure if they will work. I am sure the 87" will fit most anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Chuck. I'll be calling them tommorrow. I'm leaning
toward the longer progressive rate ramp with the extra 2 inch of
Height.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ramp it up

I had the exact same issue and used some 2x12 blocks to gain a bit more room. Although the wood blocks did the job it was not very elegant and I did need a spotter as they tended to slide. I was thinking the longer progressive ramps would be nice to have too but considering how many times I will actually use them, I don't know. The Race Ramp, priced from $300 to almost $500 is expensive for what they admit is 96% air. It is not stated if they are made in USA or not. I'll guess not.

Autozone shows two "Rinoramps" made by Blitz and are much cheaper at around $45 for the 8000# and $54 for the 12000# and both show to have a 17° incline. Based on their sigs, it does not look like either of the guys who said they use these have lowered their cars (yet) so these may not work. Their $54.00 HD model says lift height is only 6" and is 36" long. Based on my personal shopping experience there, I'll guess these are imported from China.

Brute Industries (found on Amazon) has these
"
Race-R Low Profile Sports Car Ramps" for $204
and includes free shipping. They have an 10 3/4° angle and are 56" long, provide an 8" lift and are 12" wide. These actually look good, have good reviews and show photos of a Vette driving on them. They don't state where they are made but I just might buy em.

Another option is the DIY model and are not nearly as portable or as easy to store but are surely much cheaper and of course would not contribute to our national debt unless you used some kind of Brazilian hardwood or something. Found this write-up with photos and sketch on Mustang World: Mustangworld - Build yourself some ramps !

Decisions

1 - 20 of 23 Posts