Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with the "lingo" on the SCT-X3 tuner?
Ive just installed my JLT II with the preset tune direct from JLT. All works great! Ive got the same grin on my face as the day I bought the car in the first place :gringreen

OK, the question... I can see that I can change the...

Shift Point 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4
Shift Firmness 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4
Spark 0 - 2000, 2000 - 4000, 4000 - 8000
WOT Fuel

(A) what do they actually change?
(B) what will I notice?

There are obviously other settings that can be changed but im pretty comfortable with those.

I just want to get the most out of the Tuner. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
The shift point & firmness will adjust the automatic transmission. Don't mess with spark or fuel.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shift point & firmness will adjust the automatic transmission. Don't mess with spark or fuel.
OK, so what do I put the settings to? I cant remember exactly what the options are (as you can only see them when its plugged into the car) but I seem to remember there being + or - mph settings on one of them.
Shift Firmness... do I put that UP to get firmer or down?
Shift Points... havent a clue what this will do in either direction :headscratch:

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
OK, so what do I put the settings to? I cant remember exactly what the options are (as you can only see them when its plugged into the car) but I seem to remember there being + or - mph settings on one of them.
Shift Firmness... do I put that UP to get firmer or down?
Shift Points... havent a clue what this will do in either direction :headscratch:
I don't have an auto but shift point will adjust when the car shifts. Shift firmness controls line pressure to make the car shift harder or smoother.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have an auto but shift point will adjust when the car shifts. Shift firmness controls line pressure to make the car shift harder or smoother.
When you say "when the car shifts", you mean at a higher or lower RPM?

If I make the firmness harder do you think there is a "too firm"

On a slightly different note, if I only have the JLT, SCT and SLP cat back, do you think its worth getting a custom tune from somewhere from like Bamachips?
I hear good things about this company, so can they make a tune that does something better than just changing the settings I already have access to?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
When you say "when the car shifts", you mean at a higher or lower RPM?
Correct

If I make the firmness harder do you think there is a "too firm"
It's not going to let you set a pressure that's too high. Still, it is going to be harder on the transmission

On a slightly different note, if I only have the JLT, SCT and SLP cat back, do you think its worth getting a custom tune from somewhere from like Bamachips?
I hear good things about this company, so can they make a tune that does something better than just changing the settings I already have access to?
You may see a little improvement with a Bama or Brenspeed tune but the canned JLT tune is probably fine for now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With an auto, I highly recommend trying a tune from Bama...with the race tune, my car barks the tires shifting to 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes even 4th. He also changes the converter lock up, so I get better mileage than with the stock tune. And he disables the "autolearning" feature, where your tranny progressively gets mushier when you're driving normally. You will love it.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
With an auto, I highly recommend trying a tune from Bama...with the race tune, my car barks the tires shifting to 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes even 4th. He also changes the converter lock up, so I get better mileage than with the stock tune. And he disables the "autolearning" feature, where your tranny progressively gets mushier when you're driving normally. You will love it.
Most of the tuners out there turn off the adaptive learning.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Correct

It's not going to let you set a pressure that's too high. Still, it is going to be harder on the transmission

You may see a little improvement with a Bama or Brenspeed tune but the canned JLT tune is probably fine for now.
Is there anyway to modify a tune to lesson the stiffer shifting? so its more smooth? and will it hurt my 1/4 times?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Is there anyway to modify a tune to lesson the stiffer shifting? so its more smooth? and will it hurt my 1/4 times?
Isn't that one of your user-selectable option on the Xcal? I'm not familiar with all the options for the automatic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't that one of your user-selectable option on the Xcal? I'm not familiar with all the options for the automatic.
Yes, it is an option... but I dont know if it will affect your 1/4 mile times though. i would imagine it could, but not very much.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What about the cooling fan options on it...Should it be adjusted?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.