Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been thinking about the mods I would like to do to my 17 5.0 but I'm worried about doing anything that could possibly ruin the warranty. I emailed the assistant manager in service at my dealership and he basically said that any modifications will not necessarily void the warranty unless it causes the problem.

What are your guys thoughts on just a air intake and 93 octane tune? Do you see this being an issue with the engine warranty possibly?

Also if you tune a car and then go back to factory settings does it show that you tuned it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im not sure if they will be able to tell if it was tuned and then switched back, but I've never seen mods like this interfere with the warranty. Basically if the mod causes the problem it probably wont be covered, like a wheel sensor with after market wheels, or intake issues with an after market intake, but the overall warranty will not be a voided though. The safe way to go is to have the modifications installed professionally by someone who warranties it themselves.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Yes, it shows it was tuned. It used to be that the memory would clear after 50 miles of driving, but I don't know if that's still the case.

·
Registered
549 Posts
So I have been thinking about the mods I would like to do to my 17 5.0 but I'm worried about doing anything that could possibly ruin the warranty. I emailed the assistant manager in service at my dealership and he basically said that any modifications will not necessarily void the warranty unless it causes the problem.

What are your guys thoughts on just a air intake and 93 octane tune? Do you see this being an issue with the engine warranty possibly?

Also if you tune a car and then go back to factory settings does it show that you tuned it?

Thanks,
It never affects your warranty unless you try to claim something on your warranty.......

If there is any way the manufacturer can say your change could POSSIBLY be related to a failure, you can expect them to do just that. So, any engine problem will not be covered if you change anything on the engine (not provided and installed by Ford, of course). You can pretty much include any driveline part in the description of 'engine'. This is a manufacturer thing and is not in any way dependent on what your dealer tells you. They don't get to decide.

A tune, even if flashed back to stock, will show on the ECU memory. Not only do they show date of flashes which the manufacturer can check with his records to ensure they did it, but it also will record some sensor readings like A/F, timing, etc which will be outside the regular Ford tune parameters. Hence, they know it has been monkeyed with.

That said, it sure is nice to change from stock. Maybe keep it as is until you feel secure you have put enough miles on it to know it is probably factory problem free. Then, like many of us, you can just roll the dice with 'Safe' changes from well known sources and hope for the best.

Good luck with your mods.

PS Suspension mods are pretty rewarding and won't likely kill the car for big dollars. Exhaust like cat back or axle back is good and should be safe for warranty as well.

Enjoy and all the best.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
IMHO of course....

To start with, you already have a CAI that can and does have the ability to suck in 10%+ more CFM than the engine can injest...unless you significantly increase the RPM, CID or boost the engine......

Now with regard to the tune...... unless you purchase from FRPP, anything happens, you're in trouble...now yes, the federal regs require that the dealer/OEM must demonstrate the mod caused the failure...... but, anyone who thinks that they can "fight" with the oem on this without some real fraudulent act and proof of the OEM/Dealer, are just going to loose. To give you an idea of the detection sophistication.....

Custom Tuners- ReprogrammingDetection
Ecoboost motors and PCM flashing - FORD - FlatRateTech

Posted 07 June2012 - 12:30 AM

Fullsizeblazin (Ford Master Tech) They most definitely can! Once they pullthe Mode 9 file on the IDS all your dirty little secrets will be revealed andyour warranty will be promptly voided.”

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1415315-custom-tunes-and-voiding-warranty-risk.html#post15947977

Posted 01 June 2016- 9:10 am

Mark Kovalsky (Ford Transmission Engineer) “Before I leftFord in 2007 we developed software that could detect modules such as this. Ifthe engine made more power than stock the software would find it and set acode. You CANNOT clear this code. Going back to stock and driving another100,000 miles will not clear this code. If you add power and have a failure youcan count on your warranty being voided.”

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
IMHO

I purchased a Mustang in 2007, and was also concerned about the mods- warranty issue. I took the safe route and purchased the FRRP CAI kit with tune. Had the dealer install it, and never had any issues with warranty claims. As Beechkid advised, I would caution against any mods not installed by the dealer, other than exhaust beyond the catalytic converters and cosmetic items. The warranty folks tend to be consistent in finding ways not to honor warranty items.
Just one opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Ford issued a Job Aid document warning dealers to be on the lookout for things like aftermarket CAIs. They're concerned about over-speeding turbos on certain models, and there's also a risk of running lean and causing damage to pistons and/or cats.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Ford issued a Job Aid document warning dealers to be on the lookout for things like aftermarket CAIs. They're concerned about over-speeding turbos on certain models, and there's also a risk of running lean and causing damage to pistons and/or cats.

Crappy engineering cause by relocation/mis-location of sensors!

·
Registered
63 Posts
If your worried about the warranty then get the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 which brings the GT350 Cai, Throttle body and tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses to my question. As much as I would love to tune my car it may be something I look into later years. The ford performance packs may always be an option sometime though.

Catback exhaust will be the first mod I go with for sure. I'm actually seriously considering the MBRP race but I will do some more research probably before I pull the trigger. Some suspension, handling, and aesthetic mods may come after that.

·
Super Moderator
2,927 Posts
Thanks for all the responses to my question. As much as I would love to tune my car it may be something I look into later years. The ford performance packs may always be an option sometime though.

Catback exhaust will be the first mod I go with for sure. I'm actually seriously considering the MBRP race but I will do some more research probably before I pull the trigger. Some suspension, handling, and aesthetic mods may come after that.
A catback exhust is a pretty safe bet. As is suspension, handling, and aesthetic mods. So good choice there.

I will stay don't go further to things like mid pipes and the like as they while vague and in a grey area argument could argue that the increased performance and added HP/TQ of the mid pipe or etc caused the issue you are hopping for a warranty claim.

Again though a catback exhaust is safe in my opinion. I can't imagine a argument they could think up for that. hahaha

·
Registered
87 Posts
In addition to what everyone else already said, read straight from the horse's mouth here:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Its always good to have an understanding of the specific laws. The specific act that protects against voiding warranties by using a suitable replacement part is called the Magnuson Moss Act.

If inclined, read the interpretation here:

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/federal_register_notices/2015/05/150522mag-mossfrn.pdf

Here's the important excerpt:

Generally, the MMWA prohibits warrantors from conditioning warranties on the
consumer’s use of a replacement product or repair service identified by brand or name,
unless the article or service is provided without charge to the consumer or the warrantor
has received a waiver.
The Commission’s Interpretations illustrate this concept with the
following example: “provisions such as, ‘This warranty is void if service is performed by
anyone other than an authorized ‘ABC’ dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine
‘ABC’ parts’ and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the
warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section
[2302(c)] ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive . . .
because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a warranty where a
defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of ‘unauthorized’ articles or service. This
does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage
caused by such ‘unauthorized’ articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from
denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so
caused.”

1 - 12 of 12 Posts