Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which mods will cause me to fail emissions? I know off road X or H is out.

The mods I would like to get down the road.

1 CMDPs Within a month (or as soon as Sutton can get me in)

2 Long Tube Headers (Six months)

3 FRPP Hot Rod Cams (for sound) (One year)

4 High flow cats and H pipe (who knows)

I have 4.10s, jlt cai and Bama tunes already.

Will the tune make me fail? If so, is there an emission tune?

Also, is there a mod out there that will turn my stang into a boat? Jesus, Oak Lawn has been hit hard with rain and it's thundering again right now. I had to idle down the street four blocks from my house.
Water is almost to top of the tires and well deeper than that in some areas. Crazy weather!

Thanks

-Chris

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
CMDP's will not fail emissions tests, no matter the type - sniffer, OBD, or visual.

As for the rest, I can't speak from personal experience. When n/a, I only had the plates, CAI, and a 93 octane tune and passed the sniffer test every time.

Even after putting on the Procharger I passed, but that's not relevant to your post. I haven't had to test yet with my cams, headers, etc.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks.

I'm going to get the plates next:bigthumbsup

Did you have the tune on your car when you passed?

Anyone else have any issues with Long Tubes and/or Cams?

Hubkap, how come the signature change :( ? I loved the AE quote you had.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Okay, thanks.

I'm going to get the plates next:bigthumbsup

Did you have the tune on your car when you passed?

Hubkap, how come the signature change :( ? I loved the AE quote you had.
Yes, I had a 93 octane tune with the CMDP's and it still passed the sniffer test back then. But...I don't believe ALL tunes will pass. Can only speak for mine, a Steeda tune I got in 2005 before I ever heard of Brenspeed, Bama, etc.

As for the signature change, I dunno, just time I guess. Wanted to change it to another Albert favorite: "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the former."

But I thought some of the latter might get perturbed if they understood it :winks

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
To my knowledge, everything you listed is OK. Some notes:

- the LT headers will require a different mid-pipe which means you must replace the cats, I'm told the Kooks catted x-pipe will pass emmissions

- I am not sure about the cams; I think it depends on the kind of test that you have to pass; here in Mass they just check the computer and if it is all OK with no codes or sensors turned off then you pass; if they do a sniffer test I am not sure if the altered valve timing of the cam might allow more unburned fuel to escape in the exhaust which might make it fail

- like hubcap mentioned, there are many specifics in the tunes that might cause it to fail emissions; for example when I asked Bama about this they told me that the default tunes turn off the "check engine" light because it will come on after installing a new tune and that will cause it to fail -- so talk to Bama and make sure that the tune you are running is emissions-inspection friendly for your state

1 - 5 of 5 Posts