Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm going through my mid-life...

My 06 GT Vert w/ 5 spd is a week old. I commute 6 hrs. each way from Cincinnati to Wisconsin almost every week. I sunk some $$ into buying it and would like to keep burning regular (87). Being reasonable, responsible speed demons, how would you draw up a list of mods, in some type of priority order, that will improve performance but not break the bank. I'm not into cosmetics, life's too short to worry about pretty. Maybe a top 10 list.

I noticed from some of the threads that there are limiters for both the rpm and top end - is this something I should consider modifying? Also, the suspension seems a little soft - options?

Now an editorial... this is my first Ford. I LOVE IT! I made my best time home tonight including a slalom run on Chicago's Dan Ryan Xway at 5:00 PM. This car looks great, sounds great and I can't wait to take the top down.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
1. Exhaust
2. Gears
3. Intake
4. Tune

Keep in mind that the ECU may need to be reflashed with each mod so you may want to look into a tuner right off the bat. Ford changed something in the ECU's on the '05+ cars that makes it a bit more of a hassle to mod them than before, but they respond very well when modded correctly.
Congrats on the ride, enjoy it,

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
think I'd rearrange:
1) intake & tune combo (or tuner like Predator or X-calibrator, good long-term investment) - good gains & plenty of relevant threads on here in the S197 Forums, and here for example:http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=757287
2) gears but mild; 3.73's? (can use tuner to correct speedo for gear change)
3) I'm one of those guys who has grown to like quiet cars on the highway; my 96 will blow you out of the car at 75mph. A quality catback shouldn't be too offensive but research that mod, as well as the others, first.

I'd move to the S197 forums for more model year-focused, relevant information and advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestions. I'm trying to find my way through the forums. Would it be worth reposting in S197? I've been in a couple of non-car sites that got bent because I posted in the wrong forum - honest mistake, but... Thanks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
1. Tune and Gear (stock you're at a 3.55 - i'd go 3.90 or higher) - best way to spend money!
2. CAI Intake
3. Header back exhaust
4. Short Throw Shifter

·
Registered
604 Posts
You guys are forgetting underdrive pullies. $150 gets you around 7-9 WHP. That's nuts considering a X pipe will get you 8-12 WHP for $500.

Before you do ANY mods to your car, do all the preventative maintenance first. Coolant flush, oil, fuel pump, plugs, wires, tranny oil....w/e you need to do :winks

·
Registered
30 Posts
the98stang said:
Before you do ANY mods to your car, do all the preventative maintenance first. Coolant flush, oil, fuel pump, plugs, wires, tranny oil....w/e you need to do
why should he replace all of that when the car is only a week old? :confused:

G

·
sublimaze said:
why should he replace all of that when the car is only a week old? :confused:
Yeah i agree there. LOL. From what i read on MD id do an CAI and tune, that way u have the tuner whenever u add sumthen else, then gears and exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.