Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was looking around in American Muscle's site and came across some new parts for our stangs which included a new Ford Racing 5.0L Boss Modular iron block. Which is said built for 96-04 gt. To install, sense its designed to reuse your 4.6L parts, just remove everything from the 4.6L block a place on the new 5.0L Boss block, but have to supply larger pistons, mill the deck, and finish the bore. I am thinking of putting this in my 97 gt, it cost $1200(free shipping of course!!). Anyone thoughts on this subject is appreciated.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-modular-boss-block.html

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Personally I'd get an aluminum teksid block and a 5.0 stroker kit, that way you'll be lighter and forged and ready for any upgrade like boost down the road...
That block is iron and unmilled, so it will take alot of machining before you can even begin to use it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I'd get an aluminum teksid block and a 5.0 stroker kit, that way you'll be lighter and forged and ready for any upgrade like boost down the road...
That block is iron and unmilled, so it will take alot of machining before you can even begin to use it.
What is a aluminum teksid block? Well since you said to get a 5.0 stroker kit I'm sure its a 4.6 block, and where to get it from and how much? So this block comes with forged internals? I am planning on supercharging it down the road. And being aluminum, I am sure it will be lighter than the 5.0 iron block.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noticed u have in your signature something about a gt500 motor, that is going in your 96 cobra. Is it complete yet. That will be a best. If finish do u have any videos of it?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
The aluminum Teksid block came in Lincoln Mark VIIIs and early Cobras (96-98), you can pick them up on Ebay for around $300, then you buy a forged rotating assembly from MMR or Sean Hyland or similar...
Yes my GT500 engine is complete, it has not been installed yet

·
Registered
74 Posts
The big bore is the way to go. You only talking about saving 100 pounds. The hp potential of the boss is worth the extra weight If you get the teksid, or any other block new or used there is still machine work that has to be done. Any good machine shop will deck and plate hone the block, the same things that need to be done boss block. The cost is about the same. The block and machine work for my block is 1700 as a posed to 1300 for a new ford racing iron block. I would not buy a rotating assembly from MMR just do I quick search on other forums and you will get ur answer why.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
The big bore is the way to go. You only talking about saving 100 pounds. The hp potential of the boss is worth the extra weight If you get the teksid, or any other block new or used there is still machine work that has to be done. Any good machine shop will deck and plate hone the block, the same things that need to be done boss block. The cost is about the same. The block and machine work for my block is 1700 as a posed to 1300 for a new ford racing iron block. I would not buy a rotating assembly from MMR just do I quick search on other forums and you will get ur answer why.

This...........

The weight savings from a Teksid stroker will not override the power increases you can get from an iron Big Bore.

Strokers in these engines aren't the way to go because they don't address the real problem with making horsepower in the 4.6/5.4. The Big Bore does, and will make significantly more horsepower.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Strokers in these engines aren't the way to go because they don't address the real problem with making horsepower in the 4.6/5.4.
This is one of the most false statement that most people say from ready other post. I have spent a lot of time researching this, after purchasing my rotating assembly I read a few negative things about stroker motors. I called the shop that was going to build my motor and asked, before I ship this stuff to you should I just sell it and get a none stroker assembly. He told me a properly engineered stroker will make More hp than a none stroker period. The shop modular performance the builder John Tymenski. For those of you who don't know wlho he is, he is considered to be the father of modular motors as he was one of the engineers of this motor for Ford.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
This is one of the most false statement that most people say from ready other post. I have spent a lot of time researching this, after purchasing my rotating assembly I read a few negative things about stroker motors. I called the shop that was going to build my motor and asked, before I ship this stuff to you should I just sell it and get a none stroker assembly. He told me a properly engineered stroker will make More hp than a none stroker period. The shop modular performance the builder John Tymenski. For those of you who don't know wlho he is, he is considered to be the father of modular motors as he was one of the engineers of this motor for Ford.
Don't tell me I'm wrong, prove it without saying "Someone told me".......

The truth is that Big Bores always make more power than stock bore strokers. Fact, end of discussion.

"He told me" is not a valid reason to say I'm incorrect. Show me examples and the science behind your rationale, because I'm telling you right now, a 5.0L Big Bore will make more horsepower than a 5.0L Stroker with the stock bore.

I notice that you're going with a Big Bore Stroker? So I guess while your rationale is wrong in this post, you actually make the right choice for your engine. I am building a 324ci big bore stroker as my choice of engines because of this. While talking to Tymenski, maybe your conversation was geared towards the big bore, since it's apparent you bought the Boss block to begin with, which just further validates my point. My statement was geared towards the "Buy a Teksid and stroke it". Your Boss block takes care of the problems with making big power to begin with:

Now, a 5.3 Stroker Big Bore will make huge power, because the Big Bore portion addresses the real problem with the 2V engine. The stock bore Stroker cannot make the power that the big bore does because of valve shrouding. The same reason why a 5.4 2V is not a great upgrade over the 4.6, they share the same bore size, so while the torque goes up, the useable RPM range goes down. By increasing the bore size, you can effectively use the entire valve surface and make great power.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wrong again I never compared a big bore to a stroker. I quoted you on a stroker version of the 4.6 compared to unstroked 4.6. You are correct that the big bore will make more power than a stroker without a question. The common miss conception is a stroker makes less or the same as a none stroked 4.6. Not trying to argue with you but it has proven. As far as out revving there is only 200 to 300 rpm difference in the rpm range, do to the limitations of the stock computer . My motor was going to a 5.0 but decided to go big bore also. My conversation with John was about a 5.0 stroker. As for proof just look at pj saleen ( yes I know it's a 3 valve) with ported heads and stroked it pick up almost 100 hp.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
You keep calling me wrong, but then proving my original point in your posts.. You're making this really easy.:bigthumbsup

I never said a stroker wouldn't make more power than a non-stroked engine, I said that the big bore would make more power than the stroker, both with 5.0L of displacement.

And you can't compare 3V's or 4V's to the 2V, because the use of multiple valves overcomes the valve shrouding problem to a certain extent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
" stokers are not the way to go with these motors" I think the those are your words.
What I'm saying is if you can't afford to go big bore then a stroker will make about 35 rwhp over a non stroker. So from what I thought you were implying was that a stroker wasn't going to make more power. The comparison is hp gained ported heads are not going to pick up 85 hp regardless if it's. A 2v 3v or 4 v. The combo of portes heads and stroker is what picked up the hp. There are claims the combo made 450hp at the crank, but i dought it because I have seen a few dyno sheets with only 350 rwhp.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
For the cost, I don't think a stroker is the way to go on the 2V, to be honest. The cost involved for 35rwhp is ridiculous. Now, if you're going to build a forged big bore from the beginning, it simply makes sense to add the stroker kit into the big bore block, since you're going to have to buy the rotating assembly anyways.

And I'm just saying that the 3V and 4V aren't as hindered by the 3.55 bore size as the 2V, and will make more power from a stroker than a 2V will, because the 2V suffers from extreme valve shrouding, especially once you go with larger valves and a ported head.

Everyone says "You have to have a power adder to make good power on these", but they don't realize why. The 3.55" bore is the reason why, and not just because it's small. It's because of the valve shrouding issues that hinder the 2V in naturally aspirated form. Extra valves and power adders can hide that issue to a certain extent.

I think we're in agreement here, besides the fact that I don't see the stock bore stroker as a good mod for the money involved vs. horsepower gained.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well when you way out the cost the biggest thing is the balancing. The cost of going stroker is about 400 more. I got a hell of a deal on my crank and rods that even with going with custom pistons it was cheaper than a non stroker assembly. Yes you definitely have your facts correct. I might have jumped because I have heard the comment so many times about a stock bore stroker not making any more power. I will say that I'm going to do one thing, and that is post dyno numbers and graphs for a big bore stroker without a power adder. Something I have never seen . My motor will be a little different as I'm using 3.800 crank giving it a little big displacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts