Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am right next to Montana and I don't know the answer to this question. Does anyone know if Montana ever instated a daytime speed limit? Last time I drove there, speed limits nationwide were 55 but Montana had no daytime speed limit and therefore got no federal funding for their highways. [I really like when states tell the feds that they don't get to decide, necessarily, how every state is run] As long as you were not being reckless, in the cop's view, the fine was $5 per day and I have no idea what they did with points. You could pay your fine, at the time of the ticket and that citation was (I heard) good for that day. Next time you were pulled over, you showed the officer your previous fine and there was no fine for the new speeding ticket. I have no idea if the last part was true.

The last thing I heard, in the paper, was that the officers, themselves, were lobbying for a daytime speed limit. Never heard what came of that. IMHO, when police officers ask for something, it is good to listen to them b/c they really are right there all the time and see what is really happening.

I wouldn't want to ever be a cop. You are there for every awful moment in everyone's lives. I couldn't handle that. So I am forever trying to make their lives a little easier.

-David

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yeah, the Police are right ALL the time....

Yeah.....ummm, NO! A badge doesn't make someone any more right, honest, intelligent, decisive or just than anyone else.

They are citizens too, and usually "allow" themselves leeway in the laws they choose to enforce on everyone else.

My opinion is that when an officer abuses his authority, he should be prosecuted 2X harder than an everyday citizen. After all, they are the ones WE pay for to enforce our laws. "To Serve and Protect," right?

Hell, I'd like to take a trip to Montana just to experience the no speed limit.

Sorry, you just touched a nerve there... Being from the New Orleans area, I've had more than a little experience with crooked cops. And yes, I know that most cops are probably on the right side of the law, but the ones who aren't should be burned at the stake.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
You're a bit late. From 1995 to 1999 Montana the daytime speed limit for cars was 'reasonable and prudent' (no specific number). Howerver that changed again and now the speed limit is 75.

So seriously, what is reasonable and prudent in a 2005 stang? I feel very comfortable at 110 on the interstate with no traffic. Not that I've ever done that, why, er, that would be illegal.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad cop. No donut!

JEB said:
Sorry, you just touched a nerve there... Being from the New Orleans area, I've had more than a little experience with crooked cops. And yes, I know that most cops are probably on the right side of the law, but the ones who aren't should be burned at the stake.
In 7th grade, our Social Science teacher mentioned that New Orleans police were paid the least, nationwide (this was early 80's). Something like $13K a year. Her husband was a NYC police officer for years before moving to MD. She said, in her opinion, the corruption bred as a result of low pay and job dissatisfaction. Not enough to live on, in a town where many people lived below poverty level. Who knows? I have never had a bad experience with a police officer [knock wood].

-David

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
JetBlack said:
In 7th grade, our Social Science teacher mentioned that New Orleans police were paid the least, nationwide (this was early 80's). Something like $13K a year. Her husband was a NYC police officer for years before moving to MD. She said, in her opinion, the corruption bred as a result of low pay and job dissatisfaction. Not enough to live on, in a town where many people lived below poverty level. Who knows? I have never had a bad experience with a police officer [knock wood].

-David
yeah, low pay was a big reason for corruption, people will do whatever is neccessary to survive. and it is easy to be a corrupt cop. temptation is everywhere. being a honest cop is tough. i feel that i can safely say that there is currently less than 20% of the nations cops that are truly corrupt. i dont know anyone in my dept that is. law enforcement has just became recognized as a profession only about 10 years ago. now most depts are requiring college degrees and higher certifications for the position. pay is up 50 o 60% from what it was 15 years ago. 15 years ago someone working at mcdonalds made more than a cop. with the change in pay and professional status, corruption is not near as rampant.... now new orleans is a story in of itself......:eyebulge:

·
Registered
502 Posts
5twenty said:
You're a bit late. From 1995 to 1999 Montana the daytime speed limit for cars was 'reasonable and prudent' (no specific number). Howerver that changed again and now the speed limit is 75.

So seriously, what is reasonable and prudent in a 2005 stang? I feel very comfortable at 110 on the interstate with no traffic. Not that I've ever done that, why, er, that would be illegal.
Right you are, sir...former Great Falls native ('65 - '80) whose parents still live there. I got a rental Buick to 110 right after we crossed over the state line outside Williston, ND when we were out there in '95, before the wifey made me slow down.

There is so much open road and I mean ZERO traffic out in Big Sky Country and that part of the West...it's almost worth a road trip with Dixi. One of the other things I used to do (on car trips to and from college down in C-Springs, CO) was set the cruise control to about 80, and then actually stretch my legs out over on the passenger side. It was safer than milk...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, I hate to say Montana now has a speed limit. However it was fun to get my drivers licence in 1995 when they first instated the no speed limit. New to driving and no limit! :eyebulge: But then in 1999 we got stuck with 75 on Interstates, and 70 on most roads and 65 on some. I think it's funny that traffic accidents were lowest with no limit vs. with one. Go figure...

·
Registered
502 Posts
monk99 said:
Yeah, I hate to say Montana now has a speed limit. However it was fun to get my drivers licence in 1995 when they first instated the no speed limit. New to driving and no limit! :eyebulge: But then in 1999 we got stuck with 75 on Interstates, and 70 on most roads and 65 on some. I think it's funny that traffic accidents were lowest with no limit vs. with one. Go figure...
Welcome, Missoula Monk! Hope that shweet Vista Ott-Six has arrived for ya...

·
Registered
86 Posts
zregime said:
Welcome, Missoula Monk! Hope that shweet Vista Ott-Six has arrived for ya...
Thanks zregime! Former Great Falls man myself. Only not as long. '84-'89. But still a windy city native.

·
Registered
502 Posts
monk99 said:
Thanks zregime! Former Great Falls man myself. Only not as long. '84-'89. But still a windy city native.
So, the crucial question...Rustler or Bison?

·
Registered
86 Posts
zregime said:
So, the crucial question...Rustler or Bison?
Rustler's, or course... CMR all the way!

·
Registered
98 Posts
JetBlack said:
Here I am right next to Montana and I don't know the answer to this question. Does anyone know if Montana ever instated a daytime speed limit? Last time I drove there, speed limits nationwide were 55 but Montana had no daytime speed limit and therefore got no federal funding for their highways. [I really like when states tell the feds that they don't get to decide, necessarily, how every state is run] As long as you were not being reckless, in the cop's view, the fine was $5 per day and I have no idea what they did with points. You could pay your fine, at the time of the ticket and that citation was (I heard) good for that day. Next time you were pulled over, you showed the officer your previous fine and there was no fine for the new speeding ticket. I have no idea if the last part was true.

The last thing I heard, in the paper, was that the officers, themselves, were lobbying for a daytime speed limit. Never heard what came of that. IMHO, when police officers ask for something, it is good to listen to them b/c they really are right there all the time and see what is really happening.

I wouldn't want to ever be a cop. You are there for every awful moment in everyone's lives. I couldn't handle that. So I am forever trying to make their lives a little easier.

-David
I agree, but Montana has fallen to the dark side. Ah, well. At least Nevada's still "stickin' it to da man" with legal prostitution!!!:drool:

·
Registered
502 Posts
monk99 said:
Rustler's, or course... CMR all the way!
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

YEAH!!! Monk is my main man!!

('76 grad, and Dad was head b-ball coach from '65 - '83)

I BLEED GREEN AND GOLD!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
DrDoom said:
I agree, but Montana has fallen to the dark side. Ah, well. At least Nevada's still "stickin' it to da man" with legal prostitution!!!:drool:
Big Sky Country still rules...here are the nicknames of some high schools around the state:

Charles M. Russell Rustlers
Browning Indians
Kalispell (Flathead) Braves
Anaconda Copperheads
Libby Loggers
Chinook Sugar Beeters
Belfry Bats
Red Lodge Redskins

And of course our faves...

Havre Blue Ponies
Great Falls Central Mustangs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts