Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been collecting up all the parts I need for a 5 speed swap for about two weeks now and before I start tearing down my daily driver I had a few questions..

First of all is the clutch pedal; I bought the whole pedal assembly from a local junkyard only to find that my car already has the manual pedal assembly minus the clutch pedal and what appears to be some sort of switch/block plug right above where the clutch pedal mounts (picture). Can anyone tell me what this does/where to find a replacement or if I even need it?

Next, the driveshaft I pulled is quite rusty and its got a fair bit of pitting.. I don't know what kind of balance issues I'm dealing with here so any advice would be great. I would just hate to get my car put back together only to shake it to pieces. :nono:

I'm also looking for a crossmember and I was just wondering.. Will the double hump crossmember from the 5.0 T5 work on a 2.3? I know people use the 5.0 T5 fairly often with the 2.3 foxbody and figured as long as the mount is the same it should work, right? I was also considering modifying my auto crossmember if anyone has experience with that.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to tie up the last loose ends before I put my baby on blocks. Thanks!:hihi:
-Kirby

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The switch is the clutch safety switch. If you're following one of the popular write-ups, it's documented there.

Either V8 crossmember will work.

As for the driveshaft, there's no shadetree method to check balance accurately. Either take it to a shop, or put it in and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Bolts right in. Just not where the old automatic crossmember did. In fact, you can remove those brackets and pitch them.

You'll see where the double hump crossmember goes once you get under the car. There's a set of brackets that are spot-welded in.

OH YEAH! You'll need to grab a couple of bolts long enough to pass through those brackets. The bolts that hold in the automatic crossmember now aren't long enough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where can I find more information on this clutch safety switch? A friend of mine tells me it turns of the cruise control when the clutch is pressed and it also has something to do with start-up.. He said to bypass it, but didn't explain how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Kirby

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Clutch switch can be bypass but why. The clutch pedal assembly you get probably or should have the switch. You will find a plug that has a jumper plug in it. Remove the jumper plug and and plug harness into switch.
It prevents starting while in gear. Bypass it and accidently leave in gear and reach in car and start it [say working on it] Car starts and ? where does it go. Just a good idea.
Now you will have a plug on trans. It has the neutral/park switch in trans you will have to bypass it or car will not start. It is the round plug. Also has backup light wires that go to switch in 5speed. If luck got that plug harness with trans and plug into car harness. Maurice
Edit Relooked at you pictures. The jumper plug connections should plug in switch into pictures. I think [only think] clutch does disconnect cruise if clutch is pushed in. Logically if push clutch in with cruise on the motor would overrpm trying to go with no clutch. Just my thinking. Maurice

·
Registered
286 Posts
On our '88 auto to 5 spd swap (2.3 car) the factory auto harness plugged right into the 5 spd and reverse lights work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have all the plugs that were connected to the transmission when I pulled it so I'm not worried there. My only problem now is the switch in the picture. For some reason, its been removed on my car(remember it was apparently a 5 speed at one time). However, the switch that I got from the junkyard is missing a plastic piece of linkage. I would just go buy a new switch but I priced it at like 45$ SO for now I figured I'll just bypass it and be careful with the shifter.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Lot people do it. I agree. But be safe and I would keep eye out for proper part or maybe someone here may have a extra one. Maurice

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, definitely. Thanks Maurice. And yes, if someone has a spare switch they're willing to part with pm me

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so now(this should be the last component) I need the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. I know that they're 8mm x 1.25 20mm but what grade should I be looking for? My local dealership wants $9.28 a piece.. The dealership also mentioned something about a lock washer?? I was just going to go down to advance auto parts or lowes and get at least an 8.8 if they have the right size. Any suggestions? Sorry for all the questions but this should be the last one:yup::gringreen

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
That's what I did. I just went to the bolt rack at the parts store and bought 8.8 grade bolts and lockwashers. Never looked back, never needed to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts