Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Redline Quicklift Hood Struts, CalPony Plenum Ext Cover and Radiator Ext. Covers today. Continuing to update Engine Bay!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It looks really good! Nice job.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice additions!
Thanks! I had to drill two holes to mount the top bracket and rivet to the hood and one hole for the bottom bracket for each strut. While drilling the top holes I was very careful so as not to drill thru or dent surface of outer hood. Did this by wrapping a thin piece of duct tape around all of the drill bits about 1/4" from the tip. This stopped the bit once it drilled thru the underhood and prevented any denting or worse to the outer hood. Put a large blanket over the entire engine bay and outer fenders for protection from hot metal pieces and anything I might have dropped. Also taped a protected area on the inner lip of the top fender where the bottom bracket of the hood struts mount in case I slipped when the bit drilled thru. Used a folded up paper towel and masking tape. The edge of the drill was to close for comfort to the inner fender for me not to worry. Took my time, was so aware of not dropping the drill or scratching anything. Just was careful and took my sweet time. Made a very small minor blem when I riveted one of the top holes when the rivet gun snapped the rivet in place and when it released it hit the underside of the hood slightly. Wasn't bad at all though and touched it up with some factory paint I had for minor blems and can't see it at all now. After that I taped up the surronding area on the next two rivets and everything went fine. Recommend doing this mod and getting rid of that PITA hood prop. Works great and looks good too. Just take your time and protect areas with towels, tape, drop clothes etc.... Was kinda nerve racking at first drilling holes in my hood and had comptemplated this mod for awhile due to that reason but so glad I did it now. Here's the link to the parts I got. I usually always include them in my first post but forgot this time. got the plenum ext from JLT. Was the least expensive at $30 with shipping. No shipping charges form American Muscle on the other parts
Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus Mustang Hood Struts (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
2005-2009 Mustang Radiator Extension Covers - Molded Black at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
CPC PLENUM EXTENSION THROTTLE BODY COVER (2005-2009 Mustang GT) [CPC-ENG-058-599] - $24.95 : JLT PERFORMANCE SHOP, Welcome to JLT performance

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
very cool additions!:bigthumbsup

i gotta hand it to you man... that is one very CLEAN engine bay.... how do you do it?!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very cool additions!:bigthumbsup

i gotta hand it to you man... that is one very CLEAN engine bay.... how do you do it?!!!
I use Maguires detail spray on pretty much everything in the engine bay to get it pretty much clean using a microfiber towel to wipe everything. On all the plastics, rubber and hoses i use Mothers Back to Black. not just in the engine bay but on the exterior black plastics and rubber. And on all the metal redfire and black painted surfaces and chrome/steel parts I polish with Harley-Davidsons Harley Glaze. It's for a motorcycle but works better then any wax inside the engine bay. Use the same stuff on the SLP loudmouth pipes too. Never hose down the engine bay as this leaves more hard water marks then it cleans up. I usually clean the engine bay once or twice a week and/or wipe down with the detail spray on every cruise night which is usually once or twice a week. I pay as much attention to the cleanliness of the engine bay as I do the exterior, wheels or interior. Actually to tell the truth more then the interior probably. The interior is just as clean just requires less attention/time, ( I do use duct tape wrapped around my hand when I arrive at/or just before a cruise night to get my interior carpet and back dash spotless though) Check my photo albums on my profile and see how clean my car is if you'd like. The exterior gets a 6 hour 4 step cleaning process once or twice a year then gets detailed with Maguires 2-3 times a week and maybe wash it every 4-6 weeks. The 4 steps are wash it, claybar, paint cleaner then wax. Well worth it. Get's lot's of comments on the shine and how clean it is.

·
Registered
781 Posts
love ur CAI... cough i have the same 1! good taste my friend :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I use Maguires detail spray on pretty much everything in the engine bay to get it pretty much clean using a microfiber towel to wipe everything. On all the plastics, rubber and hoses i use Mothers Back to Black. not just in the engine bay but on the exterior black plastics and rubber. And on all the metal redfire and black painted surfaces and chrome/steel parts I polish with Harley-Davidsons Harley Glaze. It's for a motorcycle but works better then any wax inside the engine bay. Use the same stuff on the SLP loudmouth pipes too. Never hose down the engine bay as this leaves more hard water marks then it cleans up. I usually clean the engine bay once or twice a week and/or wipe down with the detail spray on every cruise night which is usually once or twice a week. I pay as much attention to the cleanliness of the engine bay as I do the exterior, wheels or interior. Actually to tell the truth more then the interior probably. The interior is just as clean just requires less attention/time, ( I do use duct tape wrapped around my hand when I arrive at/or just before a cruise night to get my interior carpet and back dash spotless though) Check my photo albums on my profile and see how clean my car is if you'd like. The exterior gets a 6 hour 4 step cleaning process once or twice a year then gets detailed with Maguires 2-3 times a week and maybe wash it every 4-6 weeks. The 4 steps are wash it, claybar, paint cleaner then wax. Well worth it. Get's lot's of comments on the shine and how clean it is.
damn dude.... i admire your commitment to the detailing of your car! Its hard to put in cleaning time with your car with life and all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn dude.... i admire your commitment to the detailing of your car! Its hard to put in cleaning time with your car with life and all.
It does take commitment but I'm up at 5am and leave the house done with my day at 4 or so, hit the gym, detail the car and/or go to cruise night. Garage thecar by 9 or so, home in bed by 10 or so. Kids are all grown just me and wife and dogs, mustang and Harley. Maybe not in that order!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have also Redline hood Struts but they are in chrome,,,,looks good :bigthumbsup
Saw the chrome ones and thought about getting them but liked the idea of the black ones. They matchup with the color scheme I have going inside and outside the car. Plus I'm going to powdercoat my cam covers black so it will all tie in together nicely.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I told my wife there was someone out there as bad as me. Every time I go to a cruise in or something I get lots of compliments on how clean looking the car is. It is alot easier when you don't drive the car everyday but it still takes some work as you pointed out. I only drive the stang to go for a ride once or twice a week and she is garage kept and dosn't see winter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I told my wife there was someone out there as bad as me. Every time I go to a cruise in or something I get lots of compliments on how clean looking the car is. It is alot easier when you don't drive the car everyday but it still takes some work as you pointed out. I only drive the stang to go for a ride once or twice a week and she is garage kept and dosn't see winter.
Mine is garaged also and only driven once the snowand road salt is all gone in the spring and put away before the first snow. That's usually April to november. Try not to ever drive it in the rain. It has 8k on it over 3 summers and I'm the only driver other then mechanic. Drive to cruise nights and for fun 2-4 times a week and I'm in garage 2-4 times a week detaiing and/or moding it. Powdercoating the cam covers is next then maybe some window tinting and may paint either racing stripes or black out rear panel , wing and front hood scoop? It is a show car to me and treat it as such. Lol I won't even drive it throw a puddle if I can avoid it!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i love your hood struts. I have a similar set personally but i'm too afraid to install them right now. Drilling through the hood i am super worried about messing something up so i have yet to tackle or have someone tackle it.

And you have one of the cleanest engine bays i've ever seen. Its a tie between you and Myltlpny

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i love your hood struts. I have a similar set personally but i'm too afraid to install them right now. Drilling through the hood i am super worried about messing something up so i have yet to tackle or have someone tackle it.

And you have one of the cleanest engine bays i've ever seen. Its a tie between you and Myltlpny
Thanks. Read my previous posts about installing the hood struts if you haven't already. Just take your time. Well worth it. I waited also due to same concerns but was very satisfied I did it myself. Doubt anyone else would have done it with as much care on my car for me.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Installed Redline Quicklift Hood Struts, CalPony Plenum Ext Cover and Radiator Ext. Covers today. Continuing to update Engine Bay!
Now that you have added the struts, have you found a vendor yet that sells the plug to cover up the hole where the prop rod used to be for those who have the radiator extensions? I see them at car shows, but never can find the owners to ask where they got them.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Saw this one last weekend at the car show. Talk about engine bay mods... I've not seen the Battery and Power Steering covers before.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that you have added the struts, have you found a vendor yet that sells the plug to cover up the hole where the prop rod used to be for those who have the radiator extensions? I see them at car shows, but never can find the owners to ask where they got them.
The extension covers that I bought from American muscle already had a competely smooth top with no hole for the prop rod so I had to use the hood strut lifts in conjunction with the radiator covers. Did both mods at sametime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.