Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have a 3.8l v6 mustang coupe. the engine is copletely stock and is pushing around 200 horsepower. i dont have much cash since i am only 16 and go to school full time. is there anything i can do to advance my horsepower?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Too make it a more fun car, I'd add a true dual h-pipe and nice catback and a gear.

·
Registered
428 Posts
put new gears in the rear-end, it wont gain you hp but you'll notice a difference for sure

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
cant do anything worthwhile in terms of horsepower with a little cash.. only thing is like said previously, rear end gears with a limited slip, and it'll feel like a whole new car.. questions?, use the search feature for related threads before asking something that's probably been asked many times

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
cant do anything worthwhile in terms of horsepower with a little cash.. only thing is like said previously, rear end gears with a limited slip, and it'll feel like a whole new car.. questions?, use the search feature for related threads before asking something that's probably been asked many times
X2

Save your money. At 16 years old, I believe a much wiser investment would be a good bottle of cologne and a stockpile of condoms.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Everything to improve horsepower is expensive but I have some suggestions you'll be happy with-
Get a cheap CAI and put a K&N 3.5" filter on the end of it replacing the cheap restrictive one they give you (Cost:$100).
At the same time (Or don't do either) go to VAP's website and purchase an intake spacer ($99) that is placed between the upper and lower intakes. You can install both of these mods yourself with regular hand tools. If your plans are to slowly maximize HP with the car as times goes along then save for a set of underdrive pulleys ($99)that again you can install no problem. To do these mods are strictly to set yourself up for maximum power increases when paired with a hand held tuner such as SCT XCal.
Now as you graduate from these items, its gets a little more expensive. Upgrade the exhaust to true dual or get a catback if one comes along cheap. As mentioned up above, your very best choice to speed up the V6 is to get a set of higher ratio gears. 4.10 gears for an automatic and 3.73 gears for a 5 speed manual.
Good Luck!
Ask more questions when needed. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
In other words, you have to spend thousands just to keep up with the slowest stock GTs.

The only mods I would suggest are a K&N drop in, and pullies. Those you will probably barely notice any improvement if at all, but eventually they both will pay for themselves.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
X2

Save your money. At 16 years old, I believe a much wiser investment would be a good bottle of cologne and a stockpile of condoms.
and how did the badboy-ban everybody moderators miss this? oh wait we don't have any moderators in here thats right :nogrinner
i'm glutting for punishment :gringreen hahaha
i would say shiner for moderator but i think he knows better :heha::heha::heha:

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
and how did the badboy-ban everybody moderators miss this? oh wait we don't have any moderators in here thats right :nogrinner
i'm glutting for punishment :gringreen hahaha
i would say shiner for moderator but i think he knows better :heha::heha::heha:
Nah..... I approached them a couple years' ago about it, but Scott's idea of a mod really turned me off, so I just decided to stay where I am. Everyone pretty much stays in line here, so I rarely have to say anything. I do PM the mods if something needs attention, but it is rare that it goes over the line.....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Shiner is just like a watchman for the V6 section....:bigthumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts