Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i most of done something wrong i dont have enough power heres my combo. 302 bored 60 over, keith black pistons 9:5/1, performer package from edelbrock,including 202 valve heads, 1.6 roller rockers . 650 carter or 750 holley vac sec. tried them both, pertronics ign. c4 tranny shift kit. 9" rear with 389 gears traction lock, long tube headers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
missing power

Well, there is a multitude of things that might be amiss with your 302. First off, sounds like you have a nice combo of parts. You never mentioned how much power it has and how much you expected. You also never mentioned your cam or how its timing was set when it was installed. Anyway, that aside and assuming you have a problem.
Check your vacuum reading, this will check for intake manifold or carb leaks. Thats always a possibilty on a newly bulit engine. (all those bolts need to be tightened just the right amount and in the right order) An old trick if you suspect a leak is to listen for leaks using a piece of hose up to your ear and pass the other end around the manifold & carb joins, you will hear a leak as a distinct sucking hiss.
Carb jetting: are you using the right jets? Carb Float level set ok? Fuel filter not blocked?
Oh yeah, here is a simple, common but often over looked fault, check that the throttle pedal fully opens the butterflies of the carb, sounds dumb but if it doesnt then theres all your lost power. Also while you're there, another often overlooked problem, make sure the choke is coming off fully (auto when the car is warm, manual when the cable is pushed in)
Then there is your timing, check the static timing, and the advance timing at revs. You may need a rebuilt distributer.
I assume you got nice new plugs, dizzy cap & leads, did you set the plug gap correctly? also, if you dont have electronic ignition then make sure the points breaker gap is set right.
Hope that helps some.
cheers n beers. ****

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no power

I should have worded it differently, Everything is working good it,s got smooth power . I just thought i would have more of it.Cam specs are 0.050 ,448in Int lift, 472 Exh lift 112.0 lobe center. everything else is new. i know i have to change the cam and intake to make more power i just don,t know to what. The big valves in the heads seem to have me puzzelled to how to matchit up for maximun power.:eyebulge:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.