Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what the stock coils are rated at or what the stock plug wires are rated at BUT, I just bought 40,000V MSD coils. Will these result in a greater draw from the battery? Also I dont want the stock plug wires to become incinerated, how well will they hold up to 40,000V?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I dont know what the stock coils are rated at or what the stock plug wires are rated at BUT, I just bought 40,000V MSD coils. Will these result in a greater draw from the battery? Also I dont want the stock plug wires to become incinerated, how well will they hold up to 40,000V?
Stick with the Ford plugs and wires, there is nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
+1

I've had friends change the plugs/wires and have had nothing but problems. Stock OEM is where its at. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1

I've had friends change the plugs/wires and have had nothing but problems. Stock OEM is where its at. :bigthumbsup
Do you think the new coils will give me problems? If anything Ill only change the wires to maximize any benefits of the coil. The wires SHOULDNT cause any problems unless theyre replaced incorrectly and causing misfires and what not. THey simply transffer the current and have nothing to do with when the spark is sent. As for the plugs, thats a whole nother story, too hott your screwed too cold your screwed. Gapped to wide your done, not gapped enough your finished. OEM Plugs are the best!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do you think the new coils will give me problems? If anything Ill only change the wires to maximize any benefits of the coil. The wires SHOULDNT cause any problems unless theyre replaced incorrectly and causing misfires and what not. THey simply transffer the current and have nothing to do with when the spark is sent. As for the plugs, thats a whole nother story, too hott your screwed too cold your screwed. Gapped to wide your done, not gapped enough your finished. OEM Plugs are the best!!
Yes, choosing the right gap etc on a plug, for a setup, is beneficial.

Anyway, Im sure the "wires" wouldnt hurt it, but I do know the coil packs have caused issues on a few of my friends setups.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theyve been installed and tested. I dont see any difference other than a slightly more responsivve throttle. I guess that should change when i get new wires and some hotter plugs. I took it easy for 80 miles then dropped off my sister at work and ran up the RPMS got it up to 75 and cruised. Everything fired right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.