Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my mustang on the 19th of this month. Every morning I have to let it warm up for about 10 minutes before driving off. If I dont let it warm up it will act as if it is going to die when I hit the gas. If I let it warm up for around 10 min till the temp gauge rises, then I have no problems at all. Whats the problem?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Sounds like either the Idle Air Controller is not actuating properly or there is a problem with the warm up loop in the ECU. I would start by spraying some electrical parts cleaner in the IAC to see if it's gunked up. If that doesn't fix it, then you might be looking at something somewhat costly to fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a separate but similar problem. On cold mornings my car does not want to shift into 2nd gear or reverse. I had the dealer look at it and he said it was fine. Anyone else with this problem and any solutions?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
perhaps on first quesion it might be a faulty thermostat that is always open so the water is always flowing through system and stays cool instead of warming to running temp and letting the coolant flow. im not sure i live in FL lowest it gets here is like 28 and thats a rare one. But i lived in NC and i always let me cars warm up but for heater purposes =)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 99 GT does the same thing Dallas....in the morning if its cooler it takes a few minutes to start running properly. If you get in, start it, and drive away it wants to stall and you have to really feather the gas for the first few minutes...not sure what causes this but I'm guessing something needs to be cleaned or replaced...78k miles on mine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
horseplayer said:
My 99 GT does the same thing Dallas....in the morning if its cooler it takes a few minutes to start running properly. If you get in, start it, and drive away it wants to stall and you have to really feather the gas for the first few minutes...not sure what causes this but I'm guessing something needs to be cleaned or replaced...78k miles on mine.
Im glad to hear its not just mine with the problem. I have 57,000 miles on mine. Do you think I should still get it checked out or just let it warm up every morning?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I would at least check out the IAC before letting the dealer start rackin up charges.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it to the Ford dealer today about my morning problems.

He asked "Your not running premium unleaded in it are you?"

Yes I am why?

He replies.." Use regular or mid grade and your problem will stop"

Ok, that makes no sense....

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had a similar problem in my 02 gt,,took it to the dealer and they said it was the fuel pump.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I think your dealer is just rying to get out of a job he doesn't feel will be profitable. I've been running mostly premium and some mid grade in mine since we bought it because it's running a bit on the lean side. I have yet to have any problems of this nature in 25000 miles.

·
Registered
364 Posts
There's no reason why your Mustang shouldn't run well when cold. In winter up here in New Hampshire mine runs fine. The clutch and tranny are sometimes a little stiff -- but hell, if I can go out on a -20 degree morning, fire up the Mustang and drive off with only a minute of warm up -- you shouldn't have any problems.
And for what it's worth, the warm up I do is to get the fluids moving, not because there's an idle issue.

Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.