Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Friday night I go to Race Legal - our 1/8 mile drags at the stadium. I'm doing ok for the first time out with my Hurst shifter. The track is better than usual but still slippery. About the fourth time up I get a solo run. I'm thinking - now's the time to show these peeps what this car can do. I stage deep to cut a quick light - bring the revs up to about 2K and wait for the tree. Down come the lights - I nail the throttle at the third yellow and slip the clutch and - sudden quiet - I stalled the car :happyhapp . I cut an .853 light with a 6.5 second 60ft time - 70.20 mph and 14.191 in the 1/8th. Time slip says WINNER though. Good thing I couldn't hear the track announcer. I was looking for an alternate return road though.

Anybody with an embarrasing story to make me feel better???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice 'Homer'. D'OH!

J/K we've all done it, but you had a captive audience.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Lol, thats a funny story.

mine wasnt as funny, but was my 1st and only night at the track with my previous T-bird that was stock(auto). Car wasnt that fast as is so it wasnt that noticeable, but somehow i ended up Starting off in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
403 Posts
back in '84 a buddy and I took our cars to a 'run what ya brung' night at the 1/4. I had my 302 69 fastback, cam/intake/stock single exhaust(was still saving for duals), he had a 69 396 chevelle. I expected 'hi-14s', he expected 'mid 13s' from all our 'vast benchracing experience'.

I ran a best of 15.6, he ran a best of 15.3~ my single exhaust didnt help, and his traction limited starts didnt do well either. my last run of the night a girl in a new silver mustang gt beat me by a carlength- really she shoulda been even farther ahead... I was so ashamed...my acapulco blue 69 fastback with big tires, rear wing, slats, traction bars...whooped on by a hard runnin young lady in a stock new car. still thought my car was better looking by far, but alas...a poser.

neither of these cars 'felt slow', and had gained power from hop up parts for sure(my car was 2 barrel originally), but that night really woke us both up. never assume what the clock might say...a run at the track wont lie.
14 seconds makes a pretty darn quick car, for an everyday driver...

·
Registered
403 Posts
funny story- same 69 chevell buddy, couple years earlier with his prior 69 smallblock chevelle- to hear him tell it funny as heck...

somehow a kid in his auto mechanix class bumped into his car in the shop- very pissed off...they aregue off and on...couple days pass, hes sitting at a corner after school, buddys yell to him- he backs up to chat for a minute...guy that bumped his car happens to pull out of lot, and pulls up behind him- impatient, blows the horn...some words /fingers exchanged, then guys on the sidewalk start coaxing my buddy to do a burnout- so he tromps on it and discovers 'r' aint for 'race'...guess he took out the other guys radiator/core support...oops.

G

·
Turned up to a very cool outdoor bar on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Found the ultimate parking spot for my Mustang right out the front. Slipped it into reverse to park it. Everyone at the bar is watching me. Car blows a power steering hose. Oil shoots onto hot exhaust....... Smoke covers everyone at the bar. Someone called the fire brigade who insist on having my car inspected right out the front !

Most embarrassing day of my life. :yup:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Stoenr said:
Lol, thats a funny story.

mine wasnt as funny, but was my 1st and only night at the track with my previous T-bird that was stock(auto). Car wasnt that fast as is so it wasnt that noticeable, but somehow i ended up Starting off in 2nd gear.
Yeah, in my maiden voyage Saturday I missed 3rd gear (twice) and fourth gear (!?!?) once in five runs. Like, how in the H do you miss 4th? I'm afraid that would be the "C" word, my friends...CHOKE. It's intense out there...every bit the feeling of being on stage. I dialed a 16.5 and ran 17.1, and needless to say got my a-- handed to me...

...which only multiplied the desire to get better...

What kinds of deep satisfaction in life would be missed if we did everything perfectly, all the time?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like you were at least first off the line though...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I screwed up my first time at the track. I pulled up too far at the light. About a full car lenght. I didn't know where to stop. The guy came up to me and told me to back up. DOH!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a good one. When I had my 88 GT I would always see this chick driving a mustang where my friends and I raced. Could never get her to race me though. Then one day just cruising home from work, and low and behold I pulled up next to her at a light. Light turns green, we both launch pretty good. Half way through the intersection...SNAP!!! My rear driveshaft yolk snaped. I embarassingly coasted into the Big Boy parking lot with my driveshaft dragging along making a nice metal on cement sound.

·
Registered
886 Posts
wasn't at the track, but....

Had the new car 2 weeks. I was pulling out of the neighborhood and couldn't see around a minivan that was pulled way too far up to the road. Waited a min, figured, hey, should be clear. Pulled out - into a new Toyota p/u. His quick reactions made it just a brush, no real damage, a little tire transfer. We looked it over, figured, no big deal.
Then the cop cruised by and decided to stop...
at the same time my wife pulled out headed to work, and stopped....
just before two friends went by on the way to work....and waved...
and then everybody at the office met me in the parking lot....
hoo boy...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I drove on the track for the first time last Friday... had been practising every chanse I got, felt really good about my launch and the car... was guessing under 14...

Got to the track, let her cool, hood open, took air outa the rears, all stuff (spare, tools, change, work cloathing, even the trunk 'floor') was left at home. Felt like a manly man talking to the other racers in my group (world reccord holder in NA classes, low 10s car, low 8s car, and a sub 8 car to be...)

They tell me to get in line, "engine temp doesn't matter, you're going to fudge up the first times anyways..." Whatever!

Getting less and less nervous, more and more excited as I approach the staging... that Grand-Am next to me is TOAST!

Around the water, almost got the foot of an official... white white black... reverse, white white, one white, good enough...

yellow yellow yellow, Grand-Am is off, I'm there... huh?, oh green now, better go...

Spin away like a mofo... it's like driving on soap! I had for some reason thought that it was sticky, even better than asfalt that I had been practising on... spin in second, see the 1/8 sign heads on, miss third, counting theet in the tranny, get it in, SPIN! In third! Didin't know she could do that! Beat the Grand-Am just barely, 14.8 @ 91 MPH, 3.4 60!

I'm still unbeaten at the track though... learned to nurse it off and had a couple of low 14s... got the Grand-Am, a Stang V6, a Honda and something else...

Ordered stickeys yesterday so hopefully I can let you know the diff after Friday if I get them, and do better... :tongue

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh great!!! I've never raced at a track either but I had always assumed they were sticky, much stickier then asphalt. That explains why all those people were spinning through first and second. Still doesn't explain why people with street tires were doing burnouts.... please tell me that is still wrong!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Geez, I sure hope so cuz I didn't spin mine at all last Friday. Just went cold.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Fleg said:
Oh great!!! I've never raced at a track either but I had always assumed they were sticky, much stickier then asphalt. That explains why all those people were spinning through first and second. Still doesn't explain why people with street tires were doing burnouts.... please tell me that is still wrong!!!
all depends... saturday was a perfect example... was one of the first cars to run... like driving on ice... car actually started to get sideways on me... had to let off the gas... couple hours later the track is vastly improved and the car goes 13.4... You'll also find that all lanes are not equal... find the fast lane and try and stay in that one...

Street tires... avoid the water... do quick little burnout to clean the debris off the tires... with street tires if you go through the water you'll end up fling some up on your wheel wells.. which will end up dripping down on your tires while your up at the light... not good... lol

·
Registered
886 Posts
old school cats used to pour bleach on the tires to soften the rubber, but I sure wouldn't do that on street tires, or on new generation slicks for that matter....

But on the track, it's just water, usually

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.