Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hated how the black trim around the doors on my '05 GT were getting chalky and white. I think the reason was from me mistakenly hitting it with wax when I was waxing the roof and doors. Anyway, I used Mother's Back to Black on it last night and it worked great. Here are the pics:
http://franksperformance.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=192&pid=509&st=0&#entry509
I also used it for the black trim around the tail lights and it worked well there too. :worship

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem. It is not expensive either and it is easy to apply.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Cool, I have been looking for something to dress up the plastic parts that will not turn them white (I.E. Armor All) after time in the sun. Did they stay black??

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I killed my vinyl stripe on my hood with wax and stuff.. It was really bad... I talked to the guy who installed and he agreed to replace it next spring since the car show season was over...well I tried the Mother's Back to Black... and man, it brought it right back to new! Took it back to the shop and the guy was amazed! This stuff really works!!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
fishingjts said:
I killed my vinyl stripe on my hood with wax and stuff.. It was really bad... I talked to the guy who installed and he agreed to replace it next spring since the car show season was over...well I tried the Mother's Back to Black... and man, it brought it right back to new! Took it back to the shop and the guy was amazed! This stuff really works!!
this stuff is good. I have used it for years....another thing if you get wax in textured black moldings is to wax the area again but dont let it dry...keep rubbing til its all black...it will not turn white later on. even after a while the back to black will turn back white where the wax was acidently applied. wax will remove its own wax....just keep rubbing til its black :)
Now Vinyl decals are a differnet story...I have no idea there...back to black :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I8URVTEC said:
I think the reason was from me mistakenly hitting it with wax when I was waxing the roof and doors.
A good detailers secret is when this happens, or even within a few days take a art/school eraser, some say pink pearl on them, anyway take it and rub the affected area untill the white chalky comes off.

I do like that mothers back to black though pretty handy, I use it at the bodyshop quite a bit, for ones that are grey and white we mask off the moldings and spray some 3M black trim spraypaint, that'll do the trick to but messy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
try this before the mothers back to black

Mr Clean makes something called magic eraser just put water on the dense foam pad and it will deep clean your black plastic and rubber trim then rinse it good and let it dry and put on the mothers back to black I put some on my tires too. All the guys at work wowed over the new look.:eyepoppin

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes I agree totaly an to recomend highly, use on all mine cars
I8URVTEC said:
I hated how the black trim around the doors on my '05 GT were getting chalky and white. I think the reason was from me mistakenly hitting it with wax when I was waxing the roof and doors. Anyway, I used Mother's Back to Black on it last night and it worked great. Here are the pics:
http://franksperformance.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=192&pid=509&st=0&#entry509
I also used it for the black trim around the tail lights and it worked well there too. :worship

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
you dont have to worry about this if the retard you bought your car off of didnt mask off any of the black trim...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Back-to-Black is great stuff and definitely should be on every home detailer's supply shelf.

On my vehicles, including my SVT, I like to apply Back-to-Black or Mothers Protectant -- depending on the condition of the trim -- before I wax, that way I don't have to worry about wax sticking.

But if you forget to dress the trim first, Back-to-Black is probably the easiest solution, but you can also use a soft brush or sponge with car soap to remove the wax in most cases. For really stubborn areas, 3M sells a Wax and Adhesive Remover in a little can in the paint prep sections of most auto parts stores.

By the way, Back-to-Black's good for all colors of plastic or rubber trim, and great for oxidized painted windshield wiper arms. Depending on the surface I've applied Back-to-Black, I like to buff it with a soft cotton terry towel -- if left on too thick, it will streak.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As crazy as this sounds, I have used Turtle wax express shine (the spray on kind) on the black trim and it not only took off the white but left it clean and looking as good as new! I found this out by accident one day....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I constanly cleaninging my Stangs and I always use spray on between waxes, try to keep them looking as close to show room as I can at all times, even my 05 GT I drive for everyday car.Every I clean my cars I clean everthing inside as well as out. You should see the garages where I bed down my Stangs, shelves full of everthing to keep them clean, and always try the latest. I got something new from armerall, to clean the dash of my 05, not satisfied what I was using, hope it works to my satisfaction
LaVecchia said:
As crazy as this sounds, I have used Turtle wax express shine (the spray on kind) on the black trim and it not only took off the white but left it clean and looking as good as new! I found this out by accident one day....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.