Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys got the new motor started once, but now I cant get her started again. TDC with #1 wire on distributor on point. good fuel pressure, good oil pressure, all new sensors and starting coil, the whole motor is new. Good spark from ignition coil.
Motor is all new and I mean everything is new.

331 EFI, 10:1 compression, forged crank and pistons, 36lb injectors, 165lpm fuel pump, calibrated MAF for injectors, good grounds, good battery. AFR 185CC renegade heads, edlebrock RPM 2 intake manifold.

Not sure what I am missing? and motor gurus got an idea?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
105 Posts
Need a little bit more info man. What's it in? What're you using for engine management? Have you tried adjusting the timing (advance, retard)? What's the rest of the ignition system? Are you sure you're at TDC and not 180° off? Have you checked for spark at the plug?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
90 GT, MSD distributor, factory ECU, I Have adjusted timing in both directions. It fired up after I depressed the gas pedal to the floor but died cause timing is off I thing so I am going to let it sit for a while, its obvious that its flooded. Good spark at plugs

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get it to start but she just dies. I do have adjustable fuel pressure. Runs kind of rough as well.

Any tips?

·
Registered
105 Posts
90 GT, MSD distributor, factory ECU, I Have adjusted timing in both directions. It fired up after I depressed the gas pedal to the floor but died cause timing is off I thing so I am going to let it sit for a while, its obvious that its flooded. Good spark at plugs
If you're @ 0* base timing, it shouldn't die. Do you have the factory distributor still laying around? If you do, try hooking that up and see if she stays running.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have the old distributor. You would think with everything being new that it should start right up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i am by NO means a car guru, but, i will mention this anyways just in case. first of all, my stang ALWAYS fires right up. so today i was messin with my tps because it was out of whack. way high voltage. so when i got it dialed in at a lower voltage (.975) i went to start her up and it almost wouldn't start which freaked me out at first. so i'm just wondering what would happen if my voltage was lower. i think it wouldn't fire up at all. anyways worth breaking out the multimeter and testing your voltage at the tps. GL

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Throttle position sensor thing may not be a bad idea, you can check that with the car off. I believe the desired range is 0.8v-1.0v, ideally set to just under 1.0v.

Just for shits and giggles, have someone spray starting fluid/brake cleaner down the throttle body while you're cranking. If it fires up then you know you have a fuel delivery problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts