Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so there are a couple threads out there about motor mounts, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm asking.

Total newbie here. I'm doing a rebuild on my 1967 Coupe 289 and my motor mounts don't appear to be cracked at all. What is the criteria for when you should replace your motor mounts? I'm on a tight budget, but I also don't want to cut corners. If my motor mounts look fine, is it ok to reuse them? Or should I just spend the extra dough and get new mounts? I really appreciate the help y'all!

·
Registered
263 Posts
its just an opinion of mine: if i and it actually did happen to me, have the engine out, i might as well put new once in regardless of the look of old once, since they are still old. Rubber is rubber it might not look cracked but its elasticity and all that might not be performing as it should. If you cant afford best once atleast get OEM from local part store, they will be refurbs most likely, thats what i got, each for 25, worked out grt for me.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've posted a couple of replies to the fact that the 67 V8 motor mounts are unique geometrically to the 67 model year. It's hard to tell the difference from the late 1966, 68 thru 1970 mounts which are all the same. The aftermarket listings will list 67's mounts as being the same as all of the other years, but if they're compared side by side, you'll see the angle and the height difference.

If you do install non-67 specific mounts you will find it difficult to get the long through bolts to go into place. The mounts will appear to be about 1/4" short. If you stretch the mounts to install the bolts, the mount on the driver's side will fail and separate in short order. That's the side that lifts when power is demanded from the engine.

I found the cure for this problem to be by changing out the frame mount pedestals to any of the other years I mentioned above. (A bolt in affair.) If you try to locate specific 67 mounts you will find them being rare and very expensive.

There's one thing with all of the original design mounts that may give you a problem, if you have a high powered engine in particular. There's nothing holding the upper and lower metal portions of the mounts together except the bond of the rubber insulator. I drilled a hole through my mounts and installed flat head 3/8" bolts through them. Use a crimp type of lock nut on the bolt so that you won't compress the mount to tighten the bolt. The locknut goes on tightly. Don't use a nylon insert locknut. There's too much heat present.

The reason I know about this is because I fought for hours trying to get my mounts to line up and after forcing the issue, I had a mount fail. The engine lifted and caused a considerable amount of damage. No one seemed to quite understand why this was happening until I ran across a small magazine article several years back. I changed to a set of 68 mount pedestals and then problem solved. I've never seen a reason for the 67 design change and then why Ford reverted back to the previous design.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Excellent post, Greek; I had to favorite it. I have the original mounts for my 289 but they do fit in tight. My car originally had a 200 so there's nothing to say the 289 was actually from 67.

For the motor mounts is it worth it to get the premo stuff going with a set of the pedestals and polyurethane mounts:
ENGINE FRAME SIDE MOUNTING BRACKET SET - SMALL BLOCK 1965-1970 | CJ Pony Parts

POLYURETHANE MOTOR MOUNT SET - 289/302/351 1965-1972 | CJ Pony Parts

or will a normal kit suffice?
MUSTANG MOTOR MOUNT KIT 289/302/351 11/1/1965-1972

In my case, my 302 will be about 320 fwhp.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. You helped solidify my concerns.

@Greek: I had read some of your posts before actually and found them very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

@viniepooh: Good point on the rubber. I guess the reason I was hoping maybe I could squeak by is because motor mounts are a bit pricey. I wish I could find '67 mounts for 25 a piece!

It seems my best bet is picking up a new kit for the non-1967 style and doing a complete install of engine frame brackets and motor mounts. Just wish there was a cheaper option!

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts