Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2010 GT for 8 months, so looking to do oil and filter change. Question is the old chestnut on the cap it says 5w 30 but people say to use 0w 30 fully synthetic. Any views info or recomendations welcome cheers mickmatt

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I guess you have a European-spec Mustang? I have read before that Ford recommended different oil in Europe, because they don't have to meet the US fuel efficiency standards there that they do in the US; but this is the first real example I have seen of it.

Simple rule is: use what it says on the cap. Interesting thing is, the cap on my 2010 GT says 5W-20. "They say" this is to get a hair better fuel mileage for US standards; versus the Europe spec oil (per the cap) might protect the engine a little better.

I have never heard of using 0W-30 but I guess that might be beneficial in extreme cold environments. The 0W basically means it thickens less at low temp, than a 5W or 10W. So if you live up near the polar circle somewhere, you might want to take the extra trouble to get 0W-30, but I don't think I have seen it on the shelves around here, so I wouldn't bother.

And yes a good full synthetic is a good idea, even if it isn't really "needed" if you change the oil regularly, per the maintenance minder. I use 5W-20 in the winter (when there are no road track days) and 5W-30 in the summer (because I take my car to track days in the summer).

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I guess you have a European-spec Mustang? I have read before that Ford recommended different oil in Europe, because they don't have to meet the US fuel efficiency standards there that they do in the US; but this is the first real example I have seen of it.

Simple rule is: use what it says on the cap. Interesting thing is, the cap on my 2010 GT says 5W-20. "They say" this is to get a hair better fuel mileage for US standards; versus the Europe spec oil (per the cap) might protect the engine a little better.

I have never heard of using 0W-30 but I guess that might be beneficial in extreme cold environments. The 0W basically means it thickens less at low temp, than a 5W or 10W. So if you live up near the polar circle somewhere, you might want to take the extra trouble to get 0W-30, but I don't think I have seen it on the shelves around here, so I wouldn't bother.

And yes a good full synthetic is a good idea, even if it isn't really "needed" if you change the oil regularly, per the maintenance minder. I use 5W-20 in the winter (when there are no road track days) and 5W-30 in the summer (because I take my car to track days in the summer).
GM’s use 0W-20 now, but I’m not sure about a 0w30.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Normal driving, stick with what the manual says. Me personally, I use Mobil 1 10W-30 Extended Performance and a Mobil 1 filter. But, I drive the hell out of the car. Short trips, high rpm, WOT etc.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I guess you have a European-spec Mustang?
I did not think Ford built Euro spec Mustangs before the 2015 model year?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I did not think Ford built Euro spec Mustangs before the 2015 model year?
I dunno the facts or details behind it . . . but this talk about "Ford specified 5W-30 for the European cars and 5W-20 for the US cars" has been going on for several years at least

·
Registered
717 Posts
They certainly build a lot of cars in Europe, but not Mustangs and they only “officially” started importing them from the US in 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts