Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 1988 notchback a month ago for a daily driver for the summer and fall. This winter I planed to do a full rebuild, frame up, but two weeks ago I got a rod knock. I have 1990 lincon town car, 5.0 motor that I plan on putting in to get me by untill winter. I'm hoping someone can tell me the problems I may run into doing this. At this point all I'm planing to do is switch the intake/injection. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks
When they started putting computers/sensors in the cars, I became lost.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have 1990 lincon town car, 5.0 motor that I plan on putting in to get me by untill winter. I'm hoping someone can tell me the problems I may run into doing this. At this point all I'm planing to do is switch the intake/injection. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks
When they started putting computers/sensors in the cars, I became lost.
:welcomewagon: Welcome to AFM,

As far as the swap itself it will be the same. The cam will have to be changed out because the car will run like a lincoln. You say " switch the intake/injection", does this mean that you are going to change to a carburetor? Your last statement made me think this.

If thinking correctly, your gonna need a cam (valve train components), intake manifold, and carburetor. Now is the time to sit and think what kind of car you want to build because if replacing those components, you want them to work together. Can not put a monsterous cam and little manifold, big carb. (If you get my meaning). Is this going to stay a daily driver? Stick or Automatic?

These questions help in the build up.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
363 Posts
another thing to look into is the ignition system when my 5.0 went out in my 92 cougar i was going to have to swap all my stock distributor to the mustang motor instead of using the mustang distributor. i know thats not a big deal but but just another thing to look into and another thing is check the firing order they had 2 different firing orders for the 302 which if different wont work with the computer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry about not being clear it was late and needed sleep. Basically, I'm swapping the motor so I continue to drive it as a daily driver. I ment to say, I'll be putting the mustang intake/cam on the lincon motor and dropping it in.

The question is that all I would need to switch out to run the mustangs computer?
What do have to switch out in order to run the town cars motor for as little as possible?

Sorry if this is still unclear. Still half asleep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My computer takes forever to load these pages. The reason I would. Switch the cam is to keep the firing order the same. I wasn't sure if the computer would be affected. So thanks.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Swap the Mustang parts onto/into the Lincoln engine, and it'll drop right in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AThanks, I hoped that was all I had to do. I've got 12 hours to pull parts off the town car before it gets scrapped, and don't want to leave anything I need. Can't beat free.

Dose any one know if the trans (auto) is the same?

I would think so but I don't know ford tranmissions. If not I'll have one for free near chicago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AThanks, I hoped that was all I had to do. I've got 12 hours to pull parts off the town car before it gets scrapped, and don't want to leave anything I need. Can't beat free.

Dose any one know if the trans (auto) is the same?

I would think so but I don't know ford tranmissions. If not I'll have one for free near chicago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.